LS1GTO.com Forums banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
What kind of power is this thing making right now?

Dunno. Have not done a pull on the dyno yet.

Truth be told, I don't really care. I tuned this engine myself. I've used my time slips as my barometer on where to go with it. Wife and I data logged the snot out of it to get the daily side of it sorted out. Runs pretty good. Cold starts kinda suck on E. Have to work on that yet some more.

I am pretty certain there's more left for the track. The big stuff is out of the way, now its details to really wring it out. Getting a 4300lb car into the low 6's should be fun. We'll see...

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Here's a couple clips and an update:

https://www.facebook.com/corey.crowder.1/videos/2033438700035663/

https://www.facebook.com/corey.crowder.1/videos/1999844250061775/

If you watch closely on the 2nd vid you'll notice a "poof" of blue smoke. That is oil. I had this ongoing issue with my vacuum pump working a bit too good. The valve covers I made didn't allow for a baffle at the pump's intake port. I'd fill a puke tank in less than 30 miles. That is a problem I recently solved. I machined a gated baffle that attaches on top of the valve cover. So far, so good. I put 60 miles on it Tuesday and got maybe an ounce from the puke tank. I've got the pump set to pull 10" at WOT/6Krpm. Cruising down the interstate at 2800 it's right in the 3" range.

So far so good, I think that box has been checked once and for all finally.

I changed plugs as well. Went back to BR7EF's and it responded really well. Freaky good in fact. Throttle response certainly picked up and the overall feel is just more "angry".
The ngk 5671a-8's were just too cold. Maybe for track days, but I think it'll still run fine with the 7's. Won't know till next spring.

The volume of air pushing through the breather still gives the immediate area surrounding the tank a bit of a "facial". Debating on swapping to a Moroso 68781 and running a hose down to the exhaust so that stuff is sterile again.

·
Registered
816 Posts
been wondering where you've been LRI. Utube suggested Titan CNC while wasting time a while back and I watched a few of his vids. The guy has a really cool story, he went through a dip and bounced back doing very big things now, surely you've heard of him. if not check em out, he speaks fluent CNC greek too.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
been wondering where you've been LRI. Utube suggested Titan CNC while wasting time a while back and I watched a few of his vids. The guy has a really cool story, he went through a dip and bounced back doing very big things now, surely you've heard of him. if not check em out, he speaks fluent CNC greek too.
In the industry Titan is kind of a tool. Seriously. I guess he's decent at promoting himself and that always pulls haters in droves, but he's not known for being the best at managing staff or taking care of folks in the payroll department.

There's a few pages on FB regarding machinist stuff and they have yet to receive a glowing review from anyone. Not my fight so I stay out of it.

Just been stacked up on work here as of late. We completely remodeled the machine shop floor Friday. I had to make room for a pending delivery. Wednesday I take delivery on a new 5 axis machine. A Haas UMC750.

Can't wait. That thing will open a whole lot of doors for me. Buying it required moving 4 machines to meet the required floor space demands. We are cozy in here now. There's no more room for equipment. (which sucks, I love having spindles!)

Latest car project is coming along. This piece is basically done. Just a few little things to work on.

The next one is pure stupid, lol. Hunting for 5+hp per cube with a big single on methanol. Car is another 2004 GTO. This'll be a track only piece. All steel car. Were not going to glass or carbon any of it.

We have a 102mm Garrett, 700lb injectors from Billet Atomizers, a Holley Dominator EFI system, a Dart Tall Deck LS Next block, Molnar rods, intake from Holley (likely to get replaced with something else as were making a change), a track oriented Powerglide, and a big ol box of tubing for the chassis.

Low 4's in the 1/8th are the goal. All on a 10.5 wide tire. The Sturgis Drag strip is a bit rough in spots so this may or may not happen here. Going to try and travel with this pig so we'll see where it takes us. Kinda diggin the No prep run what you brung thing.

Parteh! :)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Drove some more yesterday. Discovered a goof in my fuel supply setup.

I machined my own bucket. No big deal. When plumbing the line that is right next to the filler cap got mistakenly plumbed to the bucket's vent line.

That does not work, lol. I had all sorts of weird fuel pressure stuff going on. REALLY weird. Then I go to top this thing off for the first time yesterday at an actual gas station and it revealed itself. The filler spout was gargling fuel. Sounded like a mouth full of Listerine, lol.

That's when I realized my woops. Raced back home and routed correctly and now there's no more stupid chit with the fuel pressure. Basically the tank was trying to inflate like a balloon. No venting present as the gas cap seals the system.

Woops... Fortunately, no harm or damage to anything. A test drive after to verify proved all is better. Fuel psi is actually consistent now. What was happening was it'd start cold at 58psi, then climb the longer the car was running. The return fuel is much warmer than the stuff going to the engine. It would heat up the tank and make it swell. This in turn makes the fuel pressure climb and the whole thing starts to run in a circle making the issue worse and worse. I've only had the car running for relatively short periods as I've been tuning, fixing little things, etc.

I should have caught this one. Brain set on X.5 speed that day apparently.
I would really like to see this bucket you made. very interested.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #149

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I've all but given up on trying to post photos to this damn site. Be nice if they'd update to the 20th century. Here's some links:

https://imgur.com/mQPx31t

https://imgur.com/nKnTKtS

https://imgur.com/qRGsuQ1

I saw that work of art in the above posts. When you said “bucket” I had imagined you made something like the stock bucket but larger and out of aluminum. Which I’ve been contemplating on doing. So you just have those pumps sitting out in the open like that in the tank? Any baffling?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I saw that work of art in the above posts. When you said “bucket” I had imagined you made something like the stock bucket but larger and out of aluminum. Which I’ve been contemplating on doing. So you just have those pumps sitting out in the open like that in the tank? Any baffling?

No baffles.

The one and only time it's been an issue for me: A month or so ago I had around a 1/8-1/4 tank in the car. I made a quick/snappy U turn. The engine stumbled and sputtered immediately after straightening the wheels back out. I was going maybe 5/10 mph. I filled it up and its never done it again. I make it a point to be 3/4 tank or fuller when I go racing. I log my fuel PSI and it's never been an issue.

Car is currently running 6.40's in the 8th. I recently discovered that the springs on the AFCO's were way, way too much. Just fixed that and I'm stepping down from a 28" tire to a 26" in hopes of getting the ass end to plant better. (Hoping the 1" reduction in rear ride height helps to get the front end up more to "step on the tire".

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
No baffles.

The one and only time it's been an issue for me: A month or so ago I had around a 1/8-1/4 tank in the car. I made a quick/snappy U turn. The engine stumbled and sputtered immediately after straightening the wheels back out. I was going maybe 5/10 mph. I filled it up and its never done it again. I make it a point to be 3/4 tank or fuller when I go racing. I log my fuel PSI and it's never been an issue.

Car is currently running 6.40's in the 8th. I recently discovered that the springs on the AFCO's were way, way too much. Just fixed that and I'm stepping down from a 28" tire to a 26" in hopes of getting the ass end to plant better. (Hoping the 1" reduction in rear ride height helps to get the front end up more to "step on the tire".
Gotcha. I’m trying to decide what route I’m going with my fuel system.

·
1 of 40,757
6,242 Posts
Have to use the image link with .jpg at the end.
With firefox I open the image, right click, select view image and then copy that image link.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
380 Posts
OH MAN! I am SO jealous! I'd love to do be able to make precision machined parts like that! Mine is a 418, but the 421 would have been so cool...especially because of Pontiac History!

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #155

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Last fall on a pair of high mileage slicks. Early October I think. Shock settings were still AFU at this point. Maybe the 3rd or 4th pass on the car:

https://www.facebook.com/chad.dixon.5494/videos/1100123303500417/?t=4

Here's a vid of the car on street rubber. MT SS's. 305/35/18's. These tires were about cooked that night. Just laced up new ones yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/chad.dixon.5494/videos/1185935968252483/?t=38

Sometime in June right after a thunderstorm.

https://www.facebook.com/corey.crowder.1/videos/2398475776865285/

141 - 156 of 156 Posts