LS1GTO.com Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trying to find information on the specs of projector beam headlights. I know there are HID projector headlights too ...

Just confused... anyone have cold hard facts?

Pretty much what I know is

cadillac STS - regular projector beams (white)
audi s4 - HID projector beams (whiter)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
No, but I honestly am not a fan of projector beams or projection lamps. I love distance just as much as the next guy, but I also like to have the entire front area around the vehicle lit too. Generally the aim of a projector tends to be for longer distance range much like a pencil beam light.

Do you want them just for the look?

For instance, I replaced the cheap Blazer projector driving light on the Camaro with a conventional set of PIAA 1000x series. Night and day difference plus I still got a lot of distance out of them.

As to the Audi's, the G/F's parents have an A4 and after driving it in the middle of nowhere Michigan in pitch black, I couldn't wait to get back to the regular Halogen lights in my truck. These projectors SUCK! On top of which, the design of the hood (where the hood and light fixture met), left a nice flat line in my field of view. Below that line, sufficient light, above that line pitch black and that's where I needed to see!! So essentially I had to drive with the highs on just to see.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The problem with aftermarket HID's though is the cost at this point in time. If it weren't an issue I'd have gone that route.

And like I said before, it's all in the style of lighting you want. I want decent distance but am willing to give up overall distance to have the area in front of me lit sufficiently. Others I know just want sheer distance. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
NeveGTO
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing