LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now the last decision is whether to trailer the car to the track or not. No one else is trailering and I can't really drive faster than 65-70 while trailering. Just driving the car there would be easier, but it sure would be nice to have a trailer there in the event someone breaks their car. My friend who invited me is really hard on cars....

·
You wax...I'll race
119 Posts
Now the last decision is whether to trailer the car to the track or not. No one else is trailering and I can't really drive faster than 65-70 while trailering. Just driving the car there would be easier, but it sure would be nice to have a trailer there in the event someone breaks their car. My friend who invited me is really hard on cars....
The safest thing to do is trailer. For you and your buddies.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,131 Posts
A trailer is definitely a luxury many would envy. If you guys aren't going for a cruise before/after, why not?

Reactions: babablackgoat

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A trailer is definitely a luxury many would envy. If you guys aren't going for a cruise before/after, why not?
Ha! You must not have ever trailered your car. :D

Hooking up the trailer to the truck, loading and strapping down the car are a big PITA, so much easier to just load up the car and go. And driving with a trailer is somewhat more stressful than just driving a car and at least in my case I'm pretty much restricted to about 65 MPH max while towing. BUT, the knowledge of not having to leave a car behind if something breaks is a nice peace of mind thing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Definitely a pain to trailer but thesafe bet is always trailer. most of the time you could probably get by without its just a stupid hassle if you ever do need it then. Just have to decide whats more of pain.

make sure you strap through the wheels and not anything that will move with the suspension if you do trailer.

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Change in plans. The friend who is renting the track had invited me, his son and his son's friend. The son and son's friend can't go so it is just me and my friend with his 09 Z06 (heads cam car, puts 658 rwhp to the ground) and his 09 911 C4S (or 997.2 if you prefer). Oh darn, I get to drive an overpowered Vette or a Porsche (probably both once we get there). :D Both have barely DOT legal track tires on them. I've driven the Vette and I've driven a lesser powered version of the Porsche but I'll still have to spend some time becoming comfortable with either on the track. I'll probably keep the stability nannies on, at least on minimum settings.

Nice to have a friend like this!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Change in plans. The friend who is renting the track had invited me, his son and his son's friend. The son and son's friend can't go so it is just me and my friend with his 09 Z06 (heads cam car, puts 658 rwhp to the ground) and his 09 911 C4S (or 997.2 if you prefer). Oh darn, I get to drive an overpowered Vette or a Porsche (probably both once we get there). :D Both have barely DOT legal track tires on them. I've driven the Vette and I've driven a lesser powered version of the Porsche but I'll still have to spend some time becoming comfortable with either on the track. I'll probably keep the stability nannies on, at least on minimum settings.

Nice to have a friend like this!
perfect room for me to come join! haha have fun

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
And a change in the change in plans. The son is back in so the GTO is back in. I think I'll just drive the GTO to the track, trailering is such a PITA. The place is only 2 hours away, if I break something I'll just go get it Sunday. And I suspect I'll drive too soft to really threaten to break anything anyway. If my friend breaks either of his cars he will just have them flat towed home (because he can afford it).

One bummer is that the brake ducts I bought won't be here until Saturday. They shipped them from TN on Tuesday so there was hope, but then they sat in TN for a day and then they sent them to MS where they sat for another day. Won't be here tomorrow. The USPS used to be more efficient and reliable than this.

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
And surprise surprise the brake ducts made it from MS to Omaha overnight. Should be in my mailbox tomorrow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like a great time in the offing! The only thing I would add is to bleed your brakes if the brake fluid in there is more than 2 months old. But it sounds like time is the enemy; sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. Anyway, you said you were going to take brake fluid with you. I'd take bleeding tools as well, just in case. Have fun!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tracked my GTO at both Homestead and Sebring [long course]. In both cases, you will find you will need slotted rotors as the stock rotor will cause to much gas buildup on the surface. If you feel your pedal getting mushy, your overheating the pads. The biggest issue with our GTO's is stopping them. Once I went to slots, I could stay out as long as I wanted [and I'm using Motul brake fluid with Hawk 5.0 pads].

The other thing to watch for is engine temp, I hope you have a real gauge, or using the program that converts the cluster to act like a real gauge.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just to put my credentials on the table (so you can decide how much to listen or not to me), I've done 3 track day at the National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park (NCM) in KY, 2 track days at Road America in WI, and 1 track day at the closest track to Chiago - Autobahn Country Club.

I realize I might be late to the party so you may not have time to do this stuff, but here it goes:
  • I would definitely recommend changing brake fluid to have fresh fluid for the track (I change mine within a week before every track day I've done)
  • Also go ahead and change the clutch fluid at the same time (hopefully you have a remote speed bleeder for the clutch) - I do this along with my brake fluid every time
  • Performance brake pads of some kind (I finally got 'racing' Hawk DTC-60 pads a few track days ago, and I could not believe what a difference the pads make)
    • when the racing pads get some heat into them, I am severely lacking tire traction and have to be careful on the brake pedal to avoid locking up tires (I do have cts-v brakes front and rear though)
    • you don't need to get racing brake pads, especially since by the looks of that track (longest straight not much longer than 1/4 mile), you won't be going that fast. I'd be surprised if you get much higher than 100-110 mph, but at least something better than street only, low dust pads would be good
    • I think brake rotors are a bit overrated in terms of their benefits. Brake pads are what makes the big difference.
  • Unless your engine oil is already pretty old, I would save the oil change for after the track day - especially if you add extra oil, then you'll have a chance to get the level down to normal
  • Make sure you have an SA2010 or SA2015 helmet if required by the track
  • I also like using racing gloves (you can get some fairly cheap ~ $40-45 probably).
  • Take out the floor mats, if not for the full trip, at least at the track itself
As for using a trailer vs. driving, I don't have the option to trailer so I've always driven my car, even the 400+ miles to NCM.
Can't think of anything else right now but i'll be sure to add to the list if I think of more. Have fun and take/share some videos!
I'll be going to Road America again next weekend and can't wait!

-Simeon

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Brake ducts arrived. It was pretty easy to put them on with it up on my ramps. I added a little Gorilla tape to cover the openings in the middle to make them .001% more effective. LOL!

Head out tomorrow at 10am. Will be runnin' laps by 1pm. I haven't added much to my Youtube channel so I should have a lot of new material to edit and load come Sunday.

·
You wax...I'll race
119 Posts
@Siliev

Hi Simeon,

Nice summary. Thanks for adding. Not sure about: “I think brake rotors are a bit overrated in terms of their benefits. Brake pads are what makes the big difference.”

Previously, with otherwise stock GTO brakes, I smoked brand new pads at the track twice, once with Hawk. The fix was basically larger rotors cross drilled for cooling. Slotted is the same concept.

Many drivers at the track have race pads and street pads. Yet with GTOs at 3725 dry weight pounds, just changing pads with stock GTO rotors and calipers might not be enough. I see you run CTS-V brakes.

Other than this one question, your summary great.

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Car was flawless all day. Can't say as much for my driving, but it was my first time on a real road course. Had fun!

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
A short vid of a blast down the front straightaway.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,131 Posts
That looks like a fun track that isn't too crazy with the speeds that it would eat up consumables.
I'm happy to see you were able to get your GTO out on a track.

(y)

Reactions: babablackgoat
21 - 40 of 79 Posts