LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
05 M6 Red/Black
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after exhausting the google search function... I'm here to ask questions.

Some of you know, I hit a deer last year and I've been sourcing oem SAP parts to put it back together. During this time I had decided to throw the car back together, sell it for the best price and buy a C7. Alas, things have been moving slower than planned and my new garage won't be up for some time, so I decided to wait on the C7 and completely restore the GTO cosmetically and stuff it in the new garage when I finally get it up.

I've piled up all my replacement parts including some new lights all the way around. My factory headlights have been wetsanded and sealed many times over and I'm just tired of it. The car is no longer a daily and won't be again, so smurf it. New lights. My question is, how best to protect them? I've been seeing a lot about ceramic coating on lights. Most info I've dug up is about using on a set of restored lights. Anybody ever used this to protect a new set?

I've read about the headlight armor, which is a sponsor, and they're up for consideration as well.

Or would a healthy coat of wax be enough to protect the factory barrier?

I just really, really, want to protect these things as well as fresh paint, and my new wheels (CCW 505a) lol. I've shelled out a lot of cash to get everything I need to have the exterior showroom mint. I'd just like what people have found to keep it that way as far as factory lamps go.

Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Living the dream!
4,797 Posts
I've tried quite a few different wax's and ceramic coatings on my 2011 GMC's headlights, and I still got a haze on the top corner of the lens' about 6 months later that had to be removed with wetsanding and polishing. I have even applied the wax on a monthly basis, but the hot Florida sun just destroys it. UV damage is extremely high down here!

Since the last time they were wetsanded, I removed both headlights and sprayed on a 2-part automotive grade clearcoat over the plastic surface. That has now held up for well over a year now without hazing, but I still continue to apply a monthly layer of wax to them.

I have also read reviews (here) that headlight armor does just as well, but I have not bought and tried it since living down south. My wife recently purchased a new SUV and I might buy the ~clear headlight armor~ for it and try it out.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I went with Headlight Armor but haven't installed it because one headlight gets condensation in it so I figured why the armor. When I get new lights I will definitely use it to protect them.

·
GR-RRR!
4,400 Posts
I've used Lamin-X headlight covers on all my cars. Not a one has begun to haze even a tiny bit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lets compare apples to apples here
How many miles driven per year?
How fast and how long do you drive?
Does it have garage?
Does it have a car cover?
Do you at least cover the headlights when you are out?

I am willing to bet that if all questions had best answer, any product will last a lot longer and I would predict paint would not fade as fast, windshield wipers will last longer etc.

I have 06 GTO m6 DD that is currently outside 24/7, I work at keeping best as possible.
My choices on protectorate products are based on price, time to address, ease of application, recent weather, temps, miles driven and speed. I also have invested in pen and paper to record variables that affect what I am looking at measuring.

I heard long time ago, that if you put socks over your wipers they will last longer, so I tried it - LOOKED TERRIBLE but did great job in sunny / hot climate. I repeated this experiment after moving north for 2 years (I went from low temp of 40' F to new low temp of -35' below zero plus windchill. Broke one entire wiper assembly off the car getting sock off - also had flat tire - but was so cold tire did not show flat until I drove it and tire warmed up..Broke 2 toes kicking the tire,,after cold ordeal I moved south as soon as I could, never broke another wiper assembly or toes again. Put socks back on blades - however still looked bad.

·
Administrator
7,995 Posts
I’ve had headlight film on my 04 since new. Replaced them once due to a stone ripping into one of them, but as you can see from the attached, the lights are still perfectly clear. This car sits outside and was a daily driver for 10 years as well. 78k miles:

Attachments

·
05 M6 Red/Black
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve had headlight film on my 04 since new. Replaced them once due to a stone ripping into one of them, but as you can see from the attached, the lights are still perfectly clear. This car sits outside and was a daily driver for 10 years as well. 78k miles:
What type of film? Vinyl such as headlight armor? If not a sponsor you can PM me. Thanks! Those look great!

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,009 Posts
Headlight armor on a daily driver that's been outside for years. The lens are in great shape even with the actual housing plastic starting to get old and brittle.

Worked so well I put them on my SS too. Good stuff.

·
Administrator
7,995 Posts
What type of film? Vinyl such as headlight armor? If not a sponsor you can PM me. Thanks! Those look great!
Company is called Clearmask. Film is 3M brand clear bra.

·
'06 Spice Red A4
66 Posts
I have nothing useful to add here except to say that is one beautiful car!! I don't follow this forum much these days because I sold my 2006 GTO (bought new) about 5 or 6 years ago. I manage a towing company and we towed one just like yours the other day. Mine was spice red but I always loved that blue!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
05 M6 Red/Black
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,489 Posts
I would clear coat them, put a film on, and ceramic coat the film. That is what one of the guys in this area who does coatings does for cars that are actually used.

·
Wol Gemut
3,235 Posts
I put the suntek on my new GTI, wish I had done same on GTO before they got all chipped, I have new set in reserve and I will be having them done for sure. but I believe you are on the right path with what you are doing. It seems like Afroman's suggestions would be added safety. I was told by the guy who did my GTI, who was not selling, he talked me out of some ideas I had that would have made him money, that ceramic coat will not really protect the headlights, just make them easy to clean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts