LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New guy here. I've wanted a GTO for quite some time and finally got one about a year ago. I've lurked around a little but never signed up. The car is a 2006 auto. Was looking around and found it on marketplace one day-damn that market place anyway. I bought it as a roller February 15th of 2020. Spent about a month gathering parts and waiting for the snow to go away. Car was running and driving April 5th. Car is from Texas and has no rust anywhere on it. Has a few hail dings but very nice car overall. Was pretty much all there except for the engine, trans, accessories and the exhaust manifolds/midpipes. Rad and all hoses were there, ac lines, wiring harness, driveshaft etc.

Empty engine bay-it was this clean when I bought it. I didn't have to clean anything on it.

Pics from the ad.

Random trailer picture-was about 15 miles from home at this point when we stopped for fuel. Also the stupid V8 badges were removed off the quarters.

I had initially planned on putting a 4.8 in the car that I had from a 2wd Chevy truck that I bought to put in my iroc Camaro. I found an LS2 not even a week after buying the car and decided I'd be better off with a 6.0 like what's supposed to be in the car.

Cleaned the engine up pretty good and resealed it. New front and rear covers, front and rear mains, valley cover, pan gasket, OPSU, coolant temp sensor. Only thing I didn't do was headgaskets since I didn't see the need for that. Also did a baby LS9 cam for a little more power and keep the drivability nice. Did blue springs.

Looked around on eBay was lucky enough to find a complete accessory setup. I had an LS1 intake I had bought from a buddy previously for the iroc project I never started. Used an ICT billet adapter to run the 4bolt DBW throttle body on the 3 bolt intake. Has an LS1 rail with injectors from a supercharged 2004/5 GTP. They're the correct length for the LS1 rail and plug for an LS2 harness. Pretty close in flow rate as well. I also ended up selling the LS1 intake for an LS6 over the summer.

Trans is a 4L60 from a buddy's T/A. The GTO has a single plug connector for the shifter position sensor-not sure when the actual name of that is. I ended up using one from a junkyard Envoy. The trans being for a T/A was meant for a 2 plug connector style. I had to swap the shift selector shaft which turned out to be pretty easy since I changed the filter anyway. The single plug sensors are thicker and need a longer shaft. The shaft was also super cheap at 10 bucks for a brand new one from ACDelco

New/longer shaft on the left

New shaft installed

Motor/trans mockup. Has new GTO coil brackets with junkyard truck coils. I had MSD wires but they were too short so it has truck wires. Speed Engineering long tubes with 3" xpipe. Rest of the exhaust is stock.

I never could find an OEM trans dipstick so got a generic one. Brackets are kinda flimsy but it works. It didn't line up the best as it seems to be spaced too far away from the bell housing but I found out recently that a 4L60 with a removable bell housing is deeper than an older 4L60 so I think that's way. I'd like to find an OEM trans dipstick at some point.

I also couldn't find OEM trans cooler lines so I got a Trucool 40K and made some -6AN lines. Cooler mounted. Uses one headlight bolt on each side and existing holes in the core support. No cutting or drilling.

Before starting on the car I made some wheel lifts out of 2X4's to get the car off the ground. I'd say this helped a lot being able to roll around under the car with ease.

Driver header laid in since we all know the rack has to be dropped to get headers in. Held in with a piece of wire. I still almost had to drop the rack to get around the shaft on the steering rack. Header ended up hitting the steering shaft. I replaced the mounts and that fixed it for awhile but seems to be hitting again. That header is going to get the hammer treatment come spring time when the car comes back out.

Motor/trans in. Pulled the rad/condenser and put the motor and trans in together without much fuss. Pretty easy install really.

Accessories on. Can also see where the trans cooler mounts to the headlight bolts

Almost all buttoned up

Another shot on the blocks

More on the next post. I have to about to the pic limit.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First drive went good. Little baby burnout. Ran and drove fine untuned even with the wrong intake, injectors and cam. Found out later it was super super rich.

Discovered the suspension was trash on the first drive. One of the front struts leaked all the fluid, other seemed to be stuck, and one of the rear shocks rattled on the body. It was garbage. Just did stock replacement Delco stuff for now. I think later it'll get Pedders coilovers. I did do new Pedders rear springs to get rid of the ass sag and Pedders mounts in the front.

Nice floormats since the car didn't have any when I bought it. It was pretty dirty inside. They had a dog or cat or something in there and there was tons of hair in the carpet. I pulled the seats out and spent probably 3 hours with a vacuum

Added a spoiler since I think these look goofy without spoilers

Another baby burnout-video https://flic.kr/p/2k4piCn
Had a Pioneer stereo in it that I didn't really care for. I replaced it with a nice Kenwood Excelon unit with carplay. I'll have to get some pictures of that later. I also replaced all the speakers in it. Put some Kicker 6.5" subs in the deck to replace the factory ones. Definitely not ground shakers but they fill in the bland sound VERY well.

Also tinted the car myself. Local places wanted over $400 to pull the old tint and install new. I said no thanks on that. Back window turned out like crap which I figured it would lol.

I'm a fan of dark tint. I'd like to get a brow done at some point.

Random pic when I was cleaning it out inside. Can see how light the tint is through the back window. Also found some rolling papers when cleaning it out

Buddy of mine gave me some HID's for free. I think I'm going to end up retrofitting these lights. Not super impressed with them honestly.

I had a set of VERY nice OEM lights I had bought but ended up just selling them since I can't bring myself to cut up such a nice set of lights.

My previous intentions were to do a nitrous car with a 102 plate kit on a Fast 102. I had a NW 102 TB and a Vararam I was going to use but also sold those as well. New plans are either turbo or Procharger I think. Don't need 4" cold side piping. That'd be so unnecessary and such a pain trying to run. I do intend to still get a Fast 92 though so I can get rid of the adapter I'm using on the LS6 intake for the 90mm LS2 TB

I also got a set of AFR 245's but I have no intentions of letting those go.

As said previously the headers ended up hitting even after new mounts. I made some little pacman looking shims for a temporary fix to push the engine up a little. Helped but still hit unfortunately. Header is definitely getting the hammer treatment and these will come back out.

I'll find some more pictures and post as I go.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added some more to the second post

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Clean af.

I gotta say I was expecting it to be a cosmos purple though lol
I did really want a purple one. I have a thing for purple. I had a purple 97 GTP for a loooong time. 10 years lol. Rust got the better of that car unfortunately.
I had this thing on some homeade coilovers slammed on its nuts lol

I was really disappointed this car got so rusty cause I had some big plans for it. I already had a turbo kit that was proven capable of 600hp at the wheels. 95# injectors, ported heads, double roller chain, every single piece of suspension BMR offered and new Bilsteins, built trans. I had just about everything to do this car except for the GMRacing 1" drive chain and diff. It would've been one badass car for a GP lol.

I also had a Dark Cherry GXP for awhile. This thing had brand new Bilsteins and a bunch of suspension stuff. It handled awesome. But it was slow and the mileage sucked. The GTO gets better mileage with an easy extra hundred hp on tap.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I put an AEM wideband in it set to lambda and used HPT to tune the car myself with an MPVI2. I will say I was very leery on tuning beings I had no prior experience but it was wasn't bad at all. The car was incredibly rich when I started at over 20% rich. It was actually so rich I killed the o2 on the first drive lol. Gauge pod above the center stack came from GTOG8TA. Went with the more expensive one since it looks nicer. I'll get some additional pictures here showing the wiring and how it's setup to log the wideband when the car comes out of storage.

I watched Kyle's tuning videos several times before doing anything. Wasn't hard at all. Goat Rope Garage - YouTube

I put over 5K miles on the car this past summer driving it almost everyday. I had basically no issues with it other than the headers hitting the steering shaft. It's not going to get driven so much this year. Hard to keep cars nice and clean when you use them everyday.

Random pic-one of the last weekends of the year. My car and a couple buddies. GTO, TA, 5.0 10 speed GT, and Cobra.

In a climate controlled building for the winter. No snow for this thing.

Current plans are either Procharger or turbo, Fast 92 to get rid of my throttle body adapter and actually take more advantage of the AFR heads, and also a more aggressive cam to for the same reason. Built trans/rear end of course. I think I can do the trans myself. I've rebuilt a couple Allison's although it's been close to 10 years now lol. Better suspension. New wheels/tires. Blah blah blah. Make the whole car better all around. I don't want a balls out racecar but something with at least 600hp and still drives relatively nice. Also all accessories stay including the AC.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Also I'm curious on your guys' opinion. I have the Speed Engineering headers in the car now but I'm not super happy with them between them hitting the steering shaft and having to cut the exhaust to use the X pipe. If I was to go Procharged and keep headers on the car I was considering Texas Speed headers. I haven't read anyone having clearance issues and they will also allow for a bolt in cat back. Local places don't like doing exhaust on cars that should have cats. Opinions on swapping to Texas Speed headers? Not fond on the idea of spending $1,000+ on Kooks or ARH headers.

Also if anyone cares to see this is the IROC I sold not too long after getting the GTO going. Was a pretty nice car. I do kind of regret getting rid of it.

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 spd., h-pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. Driveshaft
255 Posts
I got texas speed headers and connections new for sale.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I seen that. I was considering. Not 100% which way I'm going with the car yet. I like the Procharger idea better though

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 spd., h-pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. Driveshaft
255 Posts
Cool. Procharger would be sweet!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Also if anyone cares to see this is the IROC I sold not too long after getting the GTO going. Was a pretty nice car. I do kind of regret getting rid of it.
Nice looking IROC, my son and I are building a 92 RS for his weekend toy. Where was that pic taken? Custer?
I like the Procharger idea better though
100% go Procharger, I ran one on my first GTO and plan on going D1X on this one as soon as I'm done building this new house.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
D1X is what I was wanting. That’ll support more than what I plan to make. Picture was taken at a state park in Iowa. Right on the border of SD

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
D1X is what I was wanting. That’ll support more than what I plan to make. Picture was taken at a state park in Iowa. Right on the border of SD
I never maxed out the P1SC I had, but the D1X should have IAT's that are a little lower than the P1. My .02, the Procharger makes the power where it's usable in the GTO, I can't hook NA.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m sure I’ll never max it out. But I’d like the head room and better efficiency that an X series will have. I’d just rather not have to buy more than one blower

·
GTOless
7,098 Posts
Which AEM is that, 30-4110 ? Im looking at purchasing one as well

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe mine is 30-4110 yes. Been awhile lol. But I like it. Easy to use and setup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts