LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the valve cover off to check the valve assembly after a couple hundred miles on a H/C swap to just check things out. What I found was some of the pushrods that were on base circle were pretty off centered in the pushrod hole. They are straight as an arrow as well. Tsp 3/8 7.525 rods, PAC dual 660 springs, comp trunion upgrade, new lifter trays and ls7 lifters. Heads are prc billet 225cc.
Car was cold and I had 0 lifter preload as well trying to see if I could move the lifter plunger down.
Also stripped out a rocker bolt hole in the head trying to tourqe back down a rocker. (Didn't over tighten it just wouldn't torqe to 22ftlbs and kept spinning.) Shouldnt be a bad fix, I've helocoiled before and got one on the way.
Anyways my question is it normal for the pushrod/lifter to be off centered when the vehicle is cold? Or do I have a bigger problem on my hand with the lifters having 0 preload. There isn't much scoring on the side of the pushrods and the ones on lift are centered in the pushrod hole.
Really don't want to pull the heads with long tube headers.

·
Worthless reject member
45,584 Posts
i suppose the angle of the pushrod will vary depending on the base circle diameter, head thickness, and rocker arm geometry, but they still shouldn't be rubbing.

make sure the pushrods are actually seated in the cup and not riding off center. if they're in the cup, you should be able to press down against the spring inside the lifter, but you should wait a while to let the lifters all bleed down before you try, say overnight.

pulling the heads with LT's isn't bad. you can just let them hang off to the side.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know what the dam issue is. I can't get the lifters to compress at all pretty sure they are pumped all the way down already. It runs good and isn't making any noise, so I'm just sending it. Pushrods don't have any marks on them either.

You're probably right it's just the geometry of the aftermarket heads and stock rockers, maybe I'll get some adjustables down the road and a different rocker tray.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts