LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly a "kill", but it was a lot of fun. Went to a party last night, and the guest of honor was talking about his 68 GTO, and how my 2004 did not really deserve the name.... We can see where this is going.... Had him and a buddy of mine hop in and we took it out for a little fun. I went around one of the notorius '30mph' corners, and my buddy said "Whoa! You are going 70!!" Barked the tires on 1-2 and 2-3, then took another corner at 80. Once back at the party, the Birthday boy had nothing to say but praises. Even said "No way my 68 would have ever taken that corner." One more attitude changed. :bubbrub

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I've still yet to really push the cornering of this car. I've taken a sweeping 20mph turn at over 60 w/o any hint of the car breaking loose.
And nice job converting another!
Dan

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Great way to show him the car.

Isn't stating the corner speed and your speed a little useless? I've seen some corners with ridiculously low ratings. ...but I get the point.

I've had mine on the edge in many turns. It's the way I like it. :cool: As far as the way it handles... just fine. If you go in a little too hot the car understeers. Play with the gas and break and she comes around no problem.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I will drive mine like a grandma with glaucoma for the first 1K miles. Then I will drive it like movie set stunt driver for the next 99K.........

Great story. I don't know anyone with an old GTO. And I have yet to see a GTO out in the open road up to now. It is a rare animal indeed.

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pushed it a little too hard, and in all actuallity, I thought that I would spin out. I was paying more attention to what I was doing than the speed. My buddy was the one that pointed out how fast I was going, and when I glanced down I was through the turn and going 78....
My buddy was telling me that the dealer that I bought my car from was bragging about taking the same curve in a '86 corvette that he sold. He was proud about going around it at 62.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Showing him that the car could walk the walk was the best way to convert him - great job!

As an aside - just got back from cruising on the Garden State Parkway - as I came of of it on exit 105 - there is a long curve which I usually push the car (love this car) - glad I didn't do it tonight. On the blind side of the curve there was a SUV parked - don't know if he was broke down or not - but I still almost clipped him in the a*s, just enough room to get by him, The SUV behind then had to lock up his brakes and almost got both of us. Glad I have black seats to hide the stain from both me and my son! If this guy wasn't broke down - I hope he gets hemroids, because only a moron would have parked there unless he had to.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
rushhour said:
because only a moron would have parked there unless he had to.
Oh you want to hear about the "Darwin Award Winner" for 2004? About two months ago on Rt 91 in Springfield, Mr "Einstein" decides that he thought that the best place to change a flat tire was around a blind corner, IN THE FAST LANE!!!! A vehicle came around the corner and slammed into the rear of dumba**'s vehicle. Thank god no one was killed.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Einstein

TprGTO said:
Oh you want to hear about the "Darwin Award Winner" for 2004? About two months ago on Rt 91 in Springfield, Mr "Einstein" decides that he thought that the best place to change a flat tire was around a blind corner, IN THE FAST LANE!!!! A vehicle came around the corner and slammed into the rear of dumba**'s vehicle. Thank god no one was killed.
I hope you handed him his sign...and his *ss...Some people are too stupid to be allowed to breed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just screwing around in my 2003 Se-R Spec-V and hit a little gravle in a tight turn, slid into a curb at about 40, HARD. $1700 later my car is normal again.

Just a warning, save the handling tests for the track, city streets have curbs!

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rocoop said:
Just screwing around in my 2003 Se-R Spec-V and hit a little gravle in a tight turn, slid into a curb at about 40, HARD. $1700 later my car is normal again.

Just a warning, save the handling tests for the track, city streets have curbs!
It was a small out in the country blacktop that has a 90 degree turn. No curbs there. Interesting side note, I took the same curve in my elCamino about 13 years ago (stupid teenage driver) at about 50 and ended up in the wheatfield. It is a really fun curb... :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Nice story. It's damn near impossible to walk away from a good test drive of a new GTO and not have praise. Handles like a dream (much better than my TA ever did) and i've yet to try and stick turns that fast but close :)

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Adam4356 said:
Nice story. It's damn near impossible to walk away from a good test drive of a new GTO and not have praise. Handles like a dream (much better than my TA ever did) and i've yet to try and stick turns that fast but close :)
I've tried to kick out the rear in 2nd around turns and the tires just bite (t/c off) and take me where I want to go. Much better than any of the last 5 mustangs I've owned.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Old Goat said:
I hope you handed him his sign...and his *ss...Some people are too stupid to be allowed to breed. :rolleyes:
I learned to drive on mountain backroads in Western NC - roads like roller coasters that are generally more like 1 1/2 lanes wide but painted as 2, all posted as 55 mph. In the Fall, during "leaf season", it became extraordinarily dangerous because you never knew when the next blind banked hairpin would reveal a Town Car on the double-yellow with all four doors opened and blue-haired flat-landers picking up leaves on the shoulder. Rather pulse-raising... ;)

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
I drive on a mountain road in the country for 10 miles every day going to work. Biggest problem here is a lot of people are too lazy to turn their steering wheels and are completely in your lane going around blind curves. I've had some fun on the road before, the GTO sure does take these turns like it is nothing. There has been too much gravel on the road lately from a lot of construction, wish they would clean it off.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
2004Goat said:
I've tried to kick out the rear in 2nd around turns and the tires just bite (t/c off) and take me where I want to go. Much better than any of the last 5 mustangs I've owned.
Kick it harder. I have no trouble now, after a little practice. One spot I was at was narrow and drifted right though - sideways. My stepson drive a fleetwood (nothing stock in that car but the windshield) and said if he tried that he would get stuck. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts