LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GTO has this great powerslide effect when going around corners at slow speed, but high throttle.

The Fishtail sometimes catches abruptly, and I feel that it stresses the rear susp. components in this 3800 LB Gorilla.

Does the ridgidity of the susp. in the rear as it catches the weight of the car on a slow-turn/sudden-grip - cause stress on the rear susp. ?

It feels like 4000 LBs are being reighned in by the rear susp. alone...all at once.
I love to powerslide it, but on hot/dry days, as she catches traction, it feels to all go to the rear tire that is opposite to the turn...and YANK into cohesion.

Does this stress and wear the rear susp. ?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Obviously any stress, strain or sheer will degrade components.

How fast and how much are the questions.

If in doubt, call Mike at DMS. He'll help you optimize.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Is this effect something new for you or something you have been dealing with all along?

If it is a new thing, please follow this link: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101762 .

If you have had it all along, yes, sudden dynamic stresses are harder on the suspension components than smooth ones.

Nearly impossible to quantify how much of what, but when the tire suddenly transitions from slip to grip, 'some' sidewall flex will be an expression of the momentary stress between the contact patch and wheel/tire bead interface, plus all the slack in the diff bushing is going to be taken up pretty quick. And the springs will go from sort of floating to definitely headed in a single direction...

·
2005 GTO m6
756 Posts
I think you will be alright :)
I slide the car sideways every chance I get. Its actually alot of fun because the car is so easy to control while its sliding. Ever try this? Start making your left or right hand turn, bring the revs up in first gear as you round the turn and right at the apex, drop it into 2nd gear and lift up on the clutch and put the throttle down hard, steer the rear end around the rest of the turn with your gas foot :)

Sam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts