LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
What Do You Mean Those Aren't Real Ls-6 Castings, Why Not? And How Do You Tell If Your Buying Good Ones Or Not?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
04 LS1-MAN said:
What Do You Mean Those Aren't Real Ls-6 Castings, Why Not? And How Do You Tell If Your Buying Good Ones Or Not?
Patriot Performance said:
NOTE: What is an LQ9 head? The LQ9 head is GM's 6.0L head used on various GM trucks. This head has the same ports as the LS6 head and flows identical however it offers the larger combustion chamber at 71.06 for a lower compression.
That's what DY means. :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Performance

NOTE: What is an LQ9 head? The LQ9 head is GM's 6.0L head used on various GM trucks. This head has the same ports as the LS6 head and flows identical however it offers the larger combustion chamber at 71.06 for a lower compression.

Are these aluminum? Would these be a good choice with a blower since they lower the CR?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The LQ9 heads would be better for a boosted motor. If you're sticking to N/A, I wouldn't use these particular heads.

On a heads and cam (or just heads) motor, you want to increase the compression in order to get your power. Hence, you'd want smaller combustion chambers. A filled LS6 casting, a set of 5.3L Vortec truck heads or other similar head that has the CC size reduced would be the way to go.

·
jetblast
1,321 Posts
heads cam intake perfect!

:banghead: look into the chevy high performance magazine. there is an article there on the lsi gen 111 engine covering the ls6 cnc head and hot cam and ls6 intake all sold by any gm dealer. 510hp minus stock exhaust sys. you should get about 480hp. price 3600 including head gasket kit. i might get started on this project in october. good luck. forget about warranty.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yea, it's either Pace or Scoggins ****ey! Their H&C packages have been around since 1998. Nothing new.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Careful of the Patriot Performance heads. Their rep is going down the toilet over at LS1tech.com due to producing some marginal (ie, junk) product.

·
Registered
113 Posts
if i were you i would get actual ls6 casting and mill them to 64cc chamber(not sure how much), that will bring compression up to roughly 10.7.. which will allow you to run a more radical cam . just becareful with ptv clearence. ive been trying to get ahold of mti, they have a sweet kit, with stage 2 ls6 heads and 232/242 cam, or somethinglike that. slp also has a nice head/cam package for $3000, they claim it will produce 500 bhp.http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=12411 personally, id like to have the head without the cam, and spec it out later once i had everything the way i wanted it.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
02redhawk said:
Careful of the Patriot Performance heads. Their rep is going down the toilet over at LS1tech.com due to producing some marginal (ie, junk) product.
Please don’t bring this crap over from other boards. Patriot has sent out a large amount of heads and are a great value. Because there is some personal drama between companies and because a few heads have failed does not mean they have a bad "rep".

I've seen more hand ported heads have catastrophic problems then the patriots.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
au_ls1 said:
if i were you i would get actual ls6 casting and mill them to 64cc chamber(not sure how much), that will bring compression up to roughly 10.7.. which will allow you to run a more radical cam . just becareful with ptv clearence.
um. the LS6 (243) heads have a 64cc chamber. Unless you want to run over 0.600 lift I would not even worry about the piston to valve clearance.

gtore62 said:
:banghead: look into the chevy high performance magazine. there is an article there on the lsi gen 111 engine covering the ls6 cnc head and hot cam and ls6 intake all sold by any gm dealer. 510hp minus stock exhaust sys. you should get about 480hp. price 3600 including head gasket kit. i might get started on this project in october. good luck. forget about warranty.
those horse power numbers are bull****.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The SLP kit they have now is pretty decent. They figure 18%drivetrain loss. 500x18% loss is 410whp. To get these numbers you must run full bolt ons though. When I spoke to the rep their test car ran their maf/pulley/ a tb/ exhasut, no cats and LT headers and drop in filter. I thought you could bolt it on and go when I saw the ad online. Not true. Just the cam/head combo and everything else stock netted me 365whp from 292whp. Roughly a 73whp gain. With the bolt on's see the sig.

9 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
If I upgraded just the heads, how much of a difference would it make?

I know that if you change the cam with the heads it would be a huge difference.

http://www.patriot-performance.com/LS6.htm

They are right the heads make between 20-30, both heads and cam will be about 55-65 RWHP (still conservative). I would do both at the same time to get the most amount of power. Or you can do just the cam first. Give me a call at the shop, 281-870-8787, or email me @ [email protected] :)

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
They are right the heads make between 20-30, both heads and cam will be about 55-65 RWHP (still conservative). I would do both at the same time to get the most amount of power. Or you can do just the cam first. Give me a call at the shop, 281-870-8787, or email me @ [email protected] :)
Chris,

I'm thinking of putting in a bigger cam. How much do you at MTI charge to install a cam? I have relatives down there I could visit.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Please don’t bring this crap over from other boards. Patriot has sent out a large amount of heads and are a great value. Because there is some personal drama between companies and because a few heads have failed does not mean they have a bad "rep".

I've seen more hand ported heads have catastrophic problems then the patriots.
I have personally removed at least 2 sets of Patriot heads, with sunken valve seats and other issues. I didn't post it on any boards, but want everyone to know my opinion that they are junk so they can decide for themselves. Patriot has had quality issues from the start, I don't even want to get started on the oil burning issues, but let the buyer beware. Just because you haven't personally seen the problems with the Patriots does not mean they're nonexistent. They have a bad rap for a reason, and not isolated events, either. Widespread problems have caused at least one tuner(in Texas, I believe) to stop selling them. The only issues I've seen with hand-ported heads have been from guys who were not big names, machine shops who barely know what an LS1 is, and guys who tried to do it themselves at home. If you're going to spend money on heads, go with a reputable tuner like Cartek, MTI, Texas Speed, etc. instead of going with something that will give you problems down the road IMO.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
For the amount of heads that go out its still a very small ratio. The shop in texas has a little more going on then just dropping the patriot line.

I've seen GTP heads hydrolock a motor, I think thats a big name in LS1 hand ported heads. With the inconsitencies compared to CNC machining the hand ported heads are more prone to problems, however they still rarely happen.

Also I think its a little unfair to patriot with the nature of your post, not only do you not have any details to back your claims up but you insist that every set will have a problem. I dont care what your opinon is, you are welcome to have it. But you are walking the line of slander. I think its more professional to atleast give the company you have a problem with a chance.

Your opinon is your opinon, please consider how you come accross.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
One of the vehicles that I removed the heads from belonged to a friend of mine, in the end he was out a lot of money and wound up eventually getting a pair of heads from a reputable vendor that is one of the site sponsors here. The car had an oil consumption problem after installing Patriot heads, and even another set did not cure the problem. I inspected the heads and both sets had sunken valve seats, loose guides and other small flaws. I installed the heads from the other vendor, and they have performed flawlessly for over 9000 miles so far. I don't believe my comments bordered on slanderous, as I offered the information as my opinion. I just offered the info after seeing a couple of people get burned, and don't want it to happen again to hardworking individuals who expect a product with a level of quality that Patriot has not lived up to in my opinion. If Patriot has upped their quality control, then good for them, but until I have seen a marked improvement with my own two eyes I am going to be skeptical. I will not bring the other vendor into this, all I will say is they are located in the southern part of the US. I can put you in touch with my friend who had the problems that I had to correct. Perhaps I dealt with 2 bad pairs and the odds were working against that happening, but the fact of the matter is that I had to correct the issues myself after little/no cooperation from Patriot themselves. If Patriot wants to respond, it is their right, I am referencing occurences from about 1 year ago. If they can provide solid proof that all the issues have been resolved, I will retract my earlier statements. The ball is in their court now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Skip those heads all together and get a set of AFR LS1 heads (Air Flow Research). The AFR heads flow better than the LS6 heads, plus they are CNC ported from straight from AFR.

Check them out at AirFlowResearch

1 - 20 of 27 Posts