LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a dealer this weekend and they told me that GMS didn't kick in for the 2004 until January..... true? not true? expectations for 2005?

thanks!
 

·
Grumpy Old Man
Joined
·
393 Posts
I cannot provide a real answer, but I would guess that considering the "disasterous" sales of the '04 compared to what they were expecting, '05s will probably have GMS from the get go. The C6 Vette;s have it, HOWEVER, as always GMS is up to the discretion of the dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
That is not Correct on the C6 Corvette!

AMRAAM4 said:
I cannot provide a real answer, but I would guess that considering the "disasterous" sales of the '04 compared to what they were expecting, '05s will probably have GMS from the get go. The C6 Vette;s have it, HOWEVER, as always GMS is up to the discretion of the dealership.
Corvette 2005 C6 is not available for GMS pricing! Only GMU pricing which is a very small amount of PEP cars! I believe that the GTO's will have GMS, but we'll have to wait forsure when they hit the ground!
 

·
I hack cars.
Joined
·
8,111 Posts
Corvette 2005 C6 is not available for GMS pricing! Only GMU pricing which is a very small amount of PEP cars! I believe that the GTO's will have GMS, but we'll have to wait forsure when they hit the ground!

Ron thats really odd!! I was able to get a quote on GMS pricing on a C6 from a dealer downstate. When you get yours, you'll LOVE it, the experience is extraordinary!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Yes they can quote you!

GTPprix said:
Ron that’s really odd!! I was able to get a quote on GMS pricing on a C6 from a dealer downstate. When you get yours, you'll LOVE it, the experience is extraordinary!

Yes they can quote you but that's not buying it! It's on the invoice sheets right now too! But it's only available on GMU units! That a PEP unit! I was quoted yesterday by a salesperson on the GMS price of new Corvette that showed up 20 minutes earlier at the dealership. I told them I would buy it right now and to call me back and send me a Buy order! When she called back the Manager got on the phone and told me it was $5000 over Sticker! Only a $13000 difference.(Wink Chevrolet Dearborn Mi) I have read the dealers news letter that what is says! Just to go further if you did get a GMS Corvette right now when the Dealer would submitt the paper work for his payment from GM he would eat his 5% money on the deal. I know of several dealers that jump the gun on GTOs earlier this year and they loss the 5% money. :)

BTW nice GTO!
 

·
Yes, it has a car seat
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
What were there - like 5 GTO's sold in December anyway?
Dan
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
Its all up to the dealership, and its kind of silly on GMs behalf to not take a hit themself. It doesn't sound like the dealership aquires the vehicle for anyless when sold for GMS. The dealership just profits less on a sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Yes they can quote you but that's not buying it! It's on the invoice sheets right now too! But it's only available on GMU units! That a PEP unit! I was quoted yesterday by a salesperson on the GMS price of new Corvette that showed up 20 minutes earlier at the dealership. I told them I would buy it right now and to call me back and send me a Buy order! When she called back the Manager got on the phone and told me it was $5000 over Sticker! Only a $13000 difference.(Wink Chevrolet Dearborn Mi) I have read the dealers news letter that what is says! Just to go further if you did get a GMS Corvette right now when the Dealer would submitt the paper work for his payment from GM he would eat his 5% money on the deal. I know of several dealers that jump the gun on GTOs earlier this year and they loss the 5% money. :)

BTW nice GTO!
I was told by my local dealer that when selling a car using the Supplier Discount that they get a flat fee ($200) for handling the transaction. Are you saying they get 5% for a GMS deal? Is that 5% of MSRP (less freight) like holdback is calculated? I have to say I'm a bit confused at all of the people on the board that claim to be buying at GMS. I was under the impression that dealers made 3% holdback when selling at DIP. What am I missing here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
Chuck said:
I was told by my local dealer that when selling a car using the Supplier Discount that they get a flat fee ($200) for handling the transaction. Are you saying they get 5% for a GMS deal? Is that 5% of MSRP (less freight) like holdback is calculated? I have to say I'm a bit confused at all of the people on the board that claim to be buying at GMS. I was under the impression that dealers made 3% holdback when selling at DIP. What am I missing here?

GM Employee Purchase Plan is called "GMS". The "GMS" price is sold at 3% of MSRP (less frieght) below base dealer invoice price. The dealer then receives a 5% of MSRP (less freight) handling allowance.

The GM Supplier Purchase program is sold at 4.5% of "GMS" over the "GMS" price. The dealer then receives a 2% of MSRP (less freight) handling allowance.

Many dealer advertise/sell at "GMS" pricing because it is written right on the invoice so there is no question of the amount. And it makes the buyer think they are geeting special treatment. And the dealer sells a car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Miss-our-GTO said:
GM Employee Purchase Plan is called "GMS". The "GMS" price is sold at 3% of MSRP (less frieght) below base dealer invoice price. The dealer then receives a 5% of MSRP (less freight) handling allowance.

The GM Supplier Purchase program is sold at 4.5% of "GMS" over the "GMS" price. The dealer then receives a 2% of MSRP (less freight) handling allowance.

Many dealer advertise/sell at "GMS" pricing because it is written right on the invoice so there is no question of the amount. And it makes the buyer think they are geeting special treatment. And the dealer sells a car.
Thanks for the info, but I need to clarify a couple of things. Does the dealer also get their normal 3% holdback as well in both of your examples? DIP on my car is $31,395.23 ($649.80 Advertising). GMS is $29,845.73. MSRP less freight is $32,490. Based on those numbers, if this car were sold at GMS the dealer would make $75.00. $31,395.23 - $29,845.73 = $1,549.50 below invoice. 5% X $32,490 = $1,624.50 handling allowance. I know that not all dealers pay advertising which would increase profits to $724.80. In this example, can the $31,395.23 be their true cost? I can't believe dealers would be content with these low margins and actively promote GMS pricing. Not to mention that it then means nothing if you are an actual employee.
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
They don't, they still make profit off the car at invoice price. When a car is sold at invoice nobody makes a comission, they profit 2% of invoice that goes to the dealer owner and pay bills.

Still I don't understand GMS, people buying a GM car who work for GM go to a private run dealership and that dealer just has to give into what price GMS is (if they choose to). Doesn't sound like GM looses anything unless its a PEP vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
GMH GTO said:
They don't, they still make profit off the car at invoice price. When a car is sold at invoice nobody makes a comission, they profit 2% of invoice that goes to the dealer owner and pay bills.

Still I don't understand GMS, people buying a GM car who work for GM go to a private run dealership and that dealer just has to give into what price GMS is (if they choose to). Doesn't sound like GM looses anything unless its a PEP vehicle.
I believe when the car is sold under "normal" conditions (not GMS or Supplier pricing), the dealer gets 3% of MSRP (less freight). So in my example it would be 3% X $32,490 = $974.70.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top