LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you want to go from 17" wheel to an 18" or 19" wheel?

Performance?
Handling?
Style?

I dont get it.

Whats the advantages and disadvantages of it.

Someone please explain it to me.

Thanks

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
well a bigger wheel usually looks better (although i dont think that those escalades with 22" look good) *throw up*.

but a bigger wheel usually requires a tire with lower profile (side wall). this gives the car much tighter and crisper handling (at the expensive of a rougher ride). also, CMNT gave some great info about side walls of tires and performance in another thread today. i dont remember which one though :( . maybe someone will be nice enough to post it.

·
Expelled
8,316 Posts
bigger looks mean, my Blazer looked tough on 20's. With the GTO though the 17's look good, I dont see the point of going 1 size up? On the blazer stock was 15! 5in. bigger than stock it looked like 2 different cars. I must stay padres 19's look sweet though, new rims are just for looks. Unless you buy 17's that weigh less, that could make you a tiny bit quicker.

·
Registered
881 Posts
How much do our 17's weigh? Are forged wheels lighter? :confused:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I haven't read the thread from cmnt so I hope this doesn't disagree with what he wrote. I will yield to those more experienced than I.

The bigger rims will usually weigh more and the extra weight is at the outer edge. This is un-spun weight which is bad for acceleration so it isn't the best thing to do. and, if your putting tires on with lower side walls then they will not handle as well in cornering when the pavement isn't smooth. The tire is less forgiving. But they look nice.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
paco04 said:
How much do our 17's weigh? Are forged wheels lighter? :confused:
57 or 58 pounds per wheel with the KDWS mounted and balanced +/-.
Don't forget, Holden set these cars up for their 18's. Pontiac specced the 17's for our road conditions, but never re-tuned the suspension to the 17's and the slightly softer sidewalls, so, 18's would just put it back to as designed stock. There is a perfect match for our current wheels in 18 inches in the Holden inventory, or one might go different. I want the series 'M's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Appearance, looks, coolness, I could never find any benefit other than how they look. Theoretically, I suppose that the lower profile tires "might" corner better, with less sidewall distortion. For those in the North, that is compensated for by the better snow, rain performance of 17inch tires.

Still think the only reason that holds any water, is if you like the way it looks.

Carguy

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Another disadvantage of the bigger wheels w/ low profile tires is the lack of forgiveness with potholes. I hear of more people bending / breaking their 18's and 19's through normal driving here in the Detroit area. That larger sidewall gives you some play to save your wheels.
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I went from the stock 17" wheels and 245/45/17 tires on all four corners to the following setup:
18"x8" wheels, 245/40/18 Toyo T1-S in front
18"x9" wheels, 275/35/18 Toyo T1-S in back
And noticed the following differences:
The wheels and tires look awesome. Much more "aggressive" than the stock setup.
The ride is noticeably rougher, but not unpleasant.
The 275's are harder to turn over, but on a "slick" surface will still squeal and smoke.
When inflated to 35psi or higher, the lower profile tires corner fine. The stiffer sidewall helps prevent rolling the tires off the rims. (40psi is recommended for "hard" driving, i.e. SCCA Solo2.) Anything less than 35psi makes me nervous, but may be OK for everyday driving.
I am told that going from 17" to 18" wheels makes the car slower, but because I went to a lower profile tire, the actual wheel/tire diameter DECREASED by 0.1". That should make me FASTER, right? (Assuming the new setup is equal to or less than the stock weight. I'll weigh them this weekend.)

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
I wonder.. did anybody ever try to put 17x9 in the rear with 275's. I would guess that would be the best of both worlds. Less rotating mass (than the 18's) and a wider tire with no loss of drive comfort.

·
Registered
588 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
Why do you want to go from 17" wheel to an 18" or 19" wheel?

Performance?
Handling?
Style?

I dont get it.

Whats the advantages and disadvantages of it.

Someone please explain it to me.

Thanks

For MOST people, the desire (and ultimately the decision) to buy aftermarket wheels is simply personalization. Some people just want something different, that will make their vehicle unique. Look at cell phones. I take whatever is included to get the best deal, while my younger brother MUST have the red version with all the bells and whistles. To each their own...

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I agree for most people it's all about appearance. Other things to consider are aftermarket brake kits may need larger wheels to fit rotors. A 45 series tire like we have OE is pretty good in terms of performance and going to say a 40 series on a 18in rim will bring minimal if any gain.

For drastic, noticable changes you need to look into tires and/or shocks, suspension work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts