LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATED: Quick picks from last night, DD headunit install..

UPDATED: See thread.

It's not completely finished, I do not have a front face plate for this, but here's my results of installing a Kenwood DDX7015 touch screen double din unit:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
sweet keep'm comming

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
DEFINATELY keep it coming :D

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
Wow, you had to remove more of the dash than I would've thought! Can't wait for the finished pics!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
nice HU. that is the one i have been eyeing. look forward to seeing more.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Yep, same head unit as i'm looking into myself. Lets see the final trim when you get it done! =)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I really like that headunit as well. I just wish I could put on in my truck too.

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Someone should crack that puppy open and see if the boards support other inputs that are simply not wired to the connectors. It wouldnt be a bad head unit if it had a stereo input for MP3 players and some preamp outs.

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Nice Job. Can you explain how you removed all the plastic to get to the radio please?
I've been wanting to but without any screwheads exposed, I didn't know where to start.
Thanks

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, as is USUAL of me (as people from other boards can attest), I *think* I have decided to go a different route with my audio, so I'll probably be selling my DDX7015 with the GTO mounting bracket and all (for drop in - I ordered a new bracket to mess around with) if anyone is interested.

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
04 LS1-MAN said:
Nice Job. Can you explain how you removed all the plastic to get to the radio please?
I've been wanting to but without any screwheads exposed, I didn't know where to start.
Thanks
Here's a quick explain:

Remove the screw slightly to the right in the back of the front open storage area (below the radio, just below the bin door). Then open the console lid/arm rest and pull up on the rear of the console cover (that extends from the radio, over the trans shifter, has the power window buttons, etc), it will pop up as you work it up from the rear to the front, then disconnect the power window switch. Lay this aside. Now pop the upper dash cover off, the black piece above the air vents that has nothing on it. Now remove the 4 screws under that piece, and remove the two screws at the base of the Radio/A/C cover, then you can remove the complete center IP panel. This should expose all screws to get you deeper.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Holy Cow! You've really changed your mind? Please let us in on what your new path is going to be. It must be good for you to drop the Kenwood approach.

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
acelam said:
Holy Cow! You've really changed your mind? Please let us in on what your new path is going to be. It must be good for you to drop the Kenwood approach.
It's a headunit change only, for two reasons. I plan to use the second DIN opening for a new long-term project (local), and also because I plan to add EVERYTHING available for the Kenwood system (DSP unit, Tuner, CD Changer, Navigation, XM Radio, Video System, etc) I wanted to availability and ease of having a slave/hidden processing unit like the 715DVD or such. I'm not crazy about not having the Double Din screen anymore (it's really cool), but it was necessary to go to the single din unit for what I have planned.

I paid $920+ for the Headunit, and probably will sell it for something like $700 including the stock GTO bracket that I already modified (since I ordered a new one). It's only been in my car for about 3 days and is coming out tonight.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Damn, i'd almost buy it for that price, but i'm banking money for the 05 GTO still and if I cave and buy stuff for the car now, i'll have to wait that much longer to buy the car. Doesnt make much sence, but it does to me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
dude, i just wrote a check for that head unit this afternoon. O well, i got a package deal. good luck. I'll have pictures of day one Sunday. Love to compare notes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm trying to decide wether to go with the Kenwood DD or to get a CarPC and a single din headunit. By the way what did you have planned?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts