LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
According to my install paperwork, it says 2 12" O2 extension (GTO) for the front and 1 24" flat O2 extension for the back(can't remember which side).
 

·
--Insert witty comment here--
Joined
·
570 Posts
Pffft, good luck ordering them. Summit sent me the wrong ones for the front. Called Casper's directly, and they sent me the wrong ones too. I wound up splicing in extensions on my own.
You don't need the rear ones with the cats gone and the pcm reprogrammed, BTW.
;)
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
dont forget you can always have the codes turned off with a custom tune. just an FYI
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,384 Posts
bob_50 said:
According to my install paperwork, it says 2 12" O2 extension (GTO) for the front and 1 24" flat O2 extension for the back(can't remember which side).
You would need two of each! On an OBDII car you must have a set of upstream and downstream O2 sensors for each catalytic converter you have. Hence we have two banks and each bank has two sensors.
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,384 Posts
Yes.
 

·
Ludicrous Speed!
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
hmm... I was able to plug the rear O2s in with no extensions. The fronts I spliced in 4-5" of wire, and they work fine.
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,384 Posts
Sometimes they add sufficient from the factory, but generally that is not the case. My Camaro had enough to stretch to the back of the car. :D Others weren't so lucky. :D

Here are the part numbers from Speed Inc.
-CSPGTO12 = $16.99
-CSPGTO24 = $17.99
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
You would need two of each! On an OBDII car you must have a set of upstream and downstream O2 sensors for each catalytic converter you have. Hence we have two banks and each bank has two sensors.

Speed inc did the install and they just used 3 on mine..
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,384 Posts
Here's how the system works. You have two separate banks on this car which have/had two sensors in each bank from the factory. Each bank had one catalytic converter in which case there would be one pre-cat (upstream) and one post cat (downstream) on each. The only way GM would combine them in one post cat sensor is if both banks came to a "Y" right afterwords where both joined and became one. Since our cars do not do have this "Y" feature, there has to be 4 from the factory.

What it sounds like happened is that they (Speed Inc.) may have just needed three extensions to make it work because one of the factory harnesses had enough to go the added length, but rest assured, there is wiring for 4 O2 sensors.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Here's how the system works. You have two separate banks on this car which have/had two sensors in each bank from the factory. Each bank had one catalytic converter in which case there would be one pre-cat (upstream) and one post cat (downstream) on each. The only way GM would combine them in one post cat sensor is if both banks came to a "Y" right afterwords where both joined and became one. Since our cars do not do have this "Y" feature, there has to be 4 from the factory.

What it sounds like happened is that they (Speed Inc.) may have just needed three extensions to make it work because one of the factory harnesses had enough to go the added length, but rest assured, there is wiring for 4 O2 sensors.

:)

Yes..I think we are confusing each other.. There is 4 wires for O2 sensors... I was just saying that you only need 3 O2 extensions.
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,384 Posts
Goatcha. :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top