LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the door and rear side panels today. I was TOO hot to go any farther, as I wanted to also see the rear deck sizes.

Literature says the fronts are 5" and the rears are just coaxial (no size I can find given).

The fronts are 6.5" indeed (2 ohm woofers with a whizzer cone), not 5" (don't know what was being smoked the day they measured, but nope, not 5"). I guess if you measured just the cone, not even the surround, it's 5", but...

Anyway, the basket they are in measures 6 3/8" around the outside, with a 5 1/8" cutout, and is 2 5/8" deep (any deeper and you risk hitting the window when rolled down). You could trim the rear off the basket and gain maybe another 1/8" if needed.

Now, the rears are also 6.5", but instead of a whizzer cone in the center theres a cone "mid-tweeter" (too big to really be a true tweeter). And there is LOADS of room back there. There is about 7"-8" of "empty" space between the interior metal and the fenders. Lots of room to mount amps or other speakers. Just volumous.

Now I wish I could have gotten to the rear shelf "subs". They are listed as 7", but my guess is if the same person measured them as did the supposed 5" ones, they are probably larger. I pried the shelf up a little, and the backet they are in looks larger than 7"...My guess is they are 8's. I'm going to try to order one of those baskets through my parts department and just use it to measure what the speaker is, rather than dig in there again.

Hope this helps people plan a little for their upgrades.

Now if that scosche guy would just call me back as to when he'll be in town, we'll have it made...

Oh yeah, ps, I CAN'T get the friggin' radio out. I can't find anyone with the tool close by (MY pontiac store is on the other side of the city), so I made my own, and I can't get them to work. I tried even using small thin screwdrivers, to no avail...

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Try bending sections of a metal coat hanger into a C shape for each side and insert into the four holes and push a bit to release the snaps. It should slide right out, assuming the radio is the same as others using the same 4 hole method to hold it in.

I'm glad the fronts are 6.5's since I have a couple year old set of Kenwood Excelon 6.5's that have a super shallow basket for doors with little mounting room. It uses a dual neodynium push-pull magnet setup and a tweeter that can be aimed to improve imaging. (But the tweeters are not removeable.)

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Try a little tenderness...

miscreant said:
...Oh yeah, ps, I CAN'T get the friggin' radio out. I can't find anyone with the tool close by (MY pontiac store is on the other side of the city), so I made my own, and I can't get them to work. I tried even using small thin screwdrivers, to no avail...
You only want your homemade tools (see above about bending a coat hanger) to go in about 1/2" to 3/4" before you start pushing them. Push the one on the right to the right and the left one to the left. It may be necessary to use a thin putty knife to catch under the edge of the head unit and pry out at the same time (where did I put that third hand?) because a regular screwdriver may mar the head unit or the trim piece around it.

Patience is the key...

Diggs

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've got the rear deck speaker bracket ordered, should be here by friday, so that I can "see" what size the rear "sub" is without having to dig into my car again.

·
Registered
607 Posts
room in the rear side walls

miscreant, did you happen to take pics of the rear sidewalls? I'd like to see what the spacing is, where the metal is etc. I'm hoping to fit 10's in there.

thanks

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, no pictures yet, it was REALLY hot that day, and I quit early. Should take some this weekend during the install.

Here's the verdict:

1) Front tweeters are large cone tweeters (2") with a cap installed inline.
2) Front door speakers 6.5" (6 1/2") with whizzer cone
3) Rear panel speakers are 6.5" (6 1/2") with another 2" cone tweeter (coaxial)
4) Rear deck speakers are 6.75" (6 3/4") *subs* (more like midbasses)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
607 Posts
good luck this weekend. I'd love to see pic's if you can swing it. I'm hoping there is room w/out having to cut metal to get a 10" sub enclosure in there and that would help me out. I know I'll have to have custom moldings made for the actual side panels, but it's all for not if I can't squeeze the enclosures in anywhere. I really don't want to have to put the subs in the trunk, then I lose all my cabin pressure and that gas tank...

Are you replacing the head unit, see any problems w/ mounting 1 or 2-din HU's?

I'll be starting my system on the 19th, well the install shop will, and I can't wait. I'd love to do it myself, but there is no way I can pull off the enclosures and finished side mouldings. Anything you can share ahead of then would be appreciated.

·
Stay in School
1,159 Posts
** back from the dead **

miscreant said:
Now, the rears are also 6.5", but instead of a whizzer cone in the center theres a cone "mid-tweeter" (too big to really be a true tweeter). And there is LOADS of room back there. There is about 7"-8" of "empty" space between the interior metal and the fenders. Lots of room to mount amps or other speakers. Just volumous.

With all this room back there, can 6x9's fit where the rear spearkers are?

·
Suffering Fools
15,300 Posts
RAZE said:
** back from the dead **

With all this room back there, can 6x9's fit where the rear spearkers are?
They could, but is there some particular reason why you'd want them?

·
Stay in School
1,159 Posts
I think I quoted the wrong paragraph. I meant the rear deck speakers. I am pretty sure the rear deck speakers are blown, and I'd like to replace them with 6x9's since I already have a set of Soundstream 6x9's.

·
Suffering Fools
15,300 Posts
Oh. Somebody did put 6x9s in the rear deck, but I can't remember who. Try searching and see if it comes up. May have been txbatman

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts