LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sold August 10 2007
Joined
·
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My fuel pump died, need to replace ASAP so I can go to next Saturday's event. Anybody know if anyone stocks the Walboro and 8.1 bucket stuff?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help. 24v and SoCal got me pointed in right direction and stuff is all ordered, thanks also to DDawson for the great technical post.
 

·
Resident Audio/Video Nut
Joined
·
734 Posts
I think It would be great to have one of our Fuel pump/8.1l mod guru's build and keep a complete modded pump assembly for anyone doing this type of Fuel system upgrade. It would be for people that don't feel like dealing with it or trying to find all the parts needed to do it and then trying to figure out how it all goes together. All we would need to do is take to old unit out and put the new pump and bucket in and then just send back the old pump Assembly and your done! I think It would be worth the extra money not to deal with the :bs: of fabricating yet another part for this car.:soapbox:

I am sure I am not the only one that would like to see this happen. Think about it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
Lingenfelter sells an in-tank fuel pump for the GTO. It is rated at 50 gallons per hour at 12-volts DC. According to the specifications page it can be over-volted (17-volts DC) to handle over 800 horsepower. It is a Walboro - I know I have one. Maybe you can have it overnighted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
I bought the walbro 255 lph and 8.1L bucket using advice from ddawson's thread:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67159

The walbro 255 lph kit for the 8.1L I got from Magnuson in Southern California - part #31-12-00-026. You might be able to pick that up.

The bucket I got from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-DELCO-FUEL-PUMP-2004-2005-SIERRA-SILVERADO-MU1312_W0QQitemZ160032326352QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33555QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I doubt you'll be able to get the bucket in time from that seller unless you can convince them to overnight it. You might try the dealerships, but they are going to charge big $$$ and might not have it in stock.
 

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
06 TRed GTO said:
I think It would be great to have one of our Fuel pump/8.1l mod guru's build and keep a complete modded pump assembly for anyone doing this type of Fuel system upgrade. It would be for people that don't feel like dealing with it or trying to find all the parts needed to do it and then trying to figure out how it all goes together. All we would need to do is take to old unit out and put the new pump and bucket in and then just send back the old pump Assembly and your done! I think It would be worth the extra money not to deal with the :bs: of fabricating yet another part for this car.:soapbox:

I am sure I am not the only one that would like to see this happen. Think about it?
I actually thought about this yesterday. We did 2 of them in my backyard. The problem is getting the GTO bucket. If someone has one they would like to donate to the cause, it would work. Otherwise the price of buying both buckets would suck.
 

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
orion4096 said:
I bought the walbro 255 lph and 8.1L bucket using advice from ddawson's thread:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67159

The walbro 255 lph kit for the 8.1L I got from Magnuson in Southern California - part #31-12-00-026. You might be able to pick that up.

The bucket I got from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-DELCO-FUEL-PUMP-2004-2005-SIERRA-SILVERADO-MU1312_W0QQitemZ160032326352QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33555QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I doubt you'll be able to get the bucket in time from that seller unless you can convince them to overnight it. You might try the dealerships, but they are going to charge big $$$ and might not have it in stock.
The ebay bucket should make it in time if he uses buy it now today. I won mine last monday, it was shipped on tuesday, and I got it Friday. As for the pump from Magnuson, I would contact Blown Chevy. He should be able to get it in time.

Larry- If you buy the bucket from that link, you will not need to buy the fuel level sensor as the one it comes with is the correct one. I know Dan's thread lists a bunch of parts, but you will not need them all. Here is what I needed to do mine.

-Ebay 8.1L bucket
-Magnuson pump kit
-1 small hose clamp
-2 butt connectors

That is it. You need nothing else. If you get the parts, I can talk you through the rest. Feel free to PM me for my number, and I will be glad to help you get it going.:patriot:
You can do this on the ground, with no special tools, in about 2-3 hours.
 

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
Gregory said:
Lingenfelter sells an in-tank fuel pump for the GTO. It is rated at 50 gallons per hour at 12-volts DC. According to the specifications page it can be over-volted (17-volts DC) to handle over 800 horsepower. It is a Walboro - I know I have one. Maybe you can have it overnighted.
The problem with that is you are still running the stock bucket. That becomes the flow limitation. The 8.1L has more openings for the fuel to get in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
24v said:
The problem with that is you are still running the stock bucket. That becomes the flow limitation. The 8.1L has more openings for the fuel to get in.
Can the stock bucket be modifyed in any way to help us out with this problem? Adding holes ect. My Magnavolt crapped out and i'm looking to go this route. I haven't pulled the pump out yet to really get a close look at the bucket.
 

·
Old Guys Rule
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
GTOART said:
Can the stock bucket be modifyed in any way to help us out with this problem? Adding holes ect. .
I have spent considerable time looking into this very issue. A simple check valve or flapper valve is all that is needed. after hours of "searching" the internet for a supplier, all I came up with was aircraft big $$$ stuff, and a couple of possibilities from a race car fuel cell manufacturer, but even theirs was over $100.00!! You may be able to use a fuel tank ball type vent valve. basically anything that will close when the jet pump has the bucket full, but will open when bucket levels have dropped below a safe level.......
 

·
Resident Audio/Video Nut
Joined
·
734 Posts
GTOART said:
Can the stock bucket be modifyed in any way to help us out with this problem? Adding holes ect. My Magnavolt crapped out and i'm looking to go this route. I haven't pulled the pump out yet to really get a close look at the bucket.

So if you did a fuel pump/bucket upgrade would you still need to use the Magnavolt?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,113 Posts
If you do the 8.1 bucket mod you will not need a BAP or magnavolt.

We know this mod can hold 500HP with no problem but it has it limits somewere in the 500HP range. Then you could add a BAP later on.

I'll update my post to state the ebay bucket comes with the correct sending unit.
 

·
Sold August 10 2007
Joined
·
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ddawson said:
If you do the 8.1 bucket mod you will not need a BAP or magnavolt.

We know this mod can hold 500HP with no problem but it has it limits somewere in the 500HP range. Then you could add a BAP later on.

I'll update my post to state the ebay bucket comes with the correct sending unit.

By the way your original post is much appreciated. Thank You. My stuff is on the way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,113 Posts
Your welcome, glad I could help.

We get so much technical information here it makes for a great site.
 

·
No Officer, It's all stock...
Joined
·
326 Posts
1stGOAT said:
By the way your original post is much appreciated. Thank You. My stuff is on the way.
Hey Larry, If you need a hand, and I am available, I can swing by and help you out.
 

·
Sold August 10 2007
Joined
·
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last Saturday - dyno tune at Richards - 585 woo hoo!
Last Saturday - drive home - fun - woo hoo!
Last Saturday - decide to take car out - fuel pump dead - boo hoo!
Sunday - desperate search for pump upgrade so I don't miss the Magnaflow event next Sat. - 24v and SoCal provide all info and orders placed - woo hoo!
All week waiting for parts - get here Thursday
Thursday night start install - wait something is missing - panic!
Thursday night frantic search for intank flex hose - outlook not good
Thursday night I post my thank yous to 24v and SoCal for the great help and ideas that made the install so easy but that I won't see them at the Magnaflow thing on Saturday. - boo hoo!
Friday morning - SoCal goat says he has the part !! AND he will.... get this .... even drive it up to me.... he drives all the way up to my area, probably a good 60-70 mi drive and I have the part by 10 am in my hand..........

Then of course as you would expect the clouds opened up and the GTO angel drove his Astro van back up into the clouds after performing the miracle.

Anyway, I am grateful to both of them and absolutely could not have done it without their help. Now I guess its my turn to pay it forward...

See you guys later today at Maganaflow!!!
 

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
1stGOAT said:
Friday morning - SoCal goat says he has the part !! AND he will.... get this .... even drive it up to me.... he drives all the way up to my area, probably a good 60-70 mi drive and I have the part by 10 am in my hand..........

Then of course as you would expect the clouds opened up and the GTO angel drove his Astro van back up into the clouds after performing the miracle.
Steve restores my faith in the brotherhood of hot rods.:ftw: :ftw:
 

·
Resident Audio/Video Nut
Joined
·
734 Posts
24v said:
The ebay bucket should make it in time if he uses buy it now today. I won mine last monday, it was shipped on tuesday, and I got it Friday. As for the pump from Magnuson, I would contact Blown Chevy. He should be able to get it in time.

Larry- If you buy the bucket from that link, you will not need to buy the fuel level sensor as the one it comes with is the correct one. I know Dan's thread lists a bunch of parts, but you will not need them all. Here is what I needed to do mine.

-Ebay 8.1L bucket
-Magnuson pump kit
-1 small hose clamp
-2 butt connectors

That is it. You need nothing else. If you get the parts, I can talk you through the rest. Feel free to PM me for my number, and I will be glad to help you get it going.:patriot:
You can do this on the ground, with no special tools, in about 2-3 hours.
So I guess Plan A isn't available any more :comp:
What parts would I need if I wanted to make a complete drop in pump
Like to one you stated in your earlyer :secret: thred
 

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
06 TRed GTO said:
So I guess Plan A isn't available any more :comp:
What parts would I need if I wanted to make a complete drop in pump
Like to one you stated in your earlyer :secret: thred
I can do it, it is just that not enough people wanted to step up and do it now. I need commitment if I am going to do the exchange. If you just want to buy it outright, I can buy all of the parts, and sell it for $500. The you keep the old one as well.
 

·
Resident Audio/Video Nut
Joined
·
734 Posts
24v said:
I can do it, it is just that not enough people wanted to step up and do it now. I need commitment if I am going to do the exchange. If you just want to buy it outright, I can buy all of the parts, and sell it for $500. The you keep the old one as well.

Thank you jeremy (24v) for my new :secret: setup :secret:


:gears:
Brian
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top