LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to hang out at a local spot last night. After sitting around and talking with a couple of buddies that drove up with us we walked over to check out this Mach 1. He wasn't intrested in racing a "GTO". He had mods so it wouldn't be a contest. I asked him what he had done and he had gears, full exhaust, intake, and a tune. He said he had been to the track as well and ran a 13.2 @106-108 IIRC. He asked what the GTO had done to it and I quickly ran through a list of general mods. He then asked if I was serious. I told him "yup". He calls in his friend with a 01 Camaro SS. He comes over and runs down his list of mods which included Hooker LT's , ORYpipe, B&B exhaust, MTI lid, and one or two other goodies. I thought to myself this is an easy kill. I asked him what he ran at the track. He said low 13's. I though to myself again, game over. I got this guy no problem. I asked him what he trapped at the track. He said 115-116mph. .......Gulp.......I acted as if I didn't hear him. At this point I'm thinking to myself that this guy is a tool. Everything was sounding pretty reasonable till he mentioned the ridiculous trap speed. I then asked him "what did it trap again?" He repeated himself. I said that's pretty strong on motor. He then said, "oh, that is on the NX Express kit I'm running. " He said he had it setup for a 125shot. He asked me about the goat and I told him everything. He then became very cool. I too was intrested in his setup. I told him my car traps in the mid teens as well. :wall: I know that when I take the GTO to the track anyway it only pulls 113 but on the street it will run like a car that pulls 2-3mph harder.

Anyway, we setup a race. First race was going to be his race from a second gear roll. I knew i would get killed in this race. We went from 25-30mph and when the nitrous hit he was gone about 1.5 cars ahead of me. At that point he couldn't run away from me any more. I wasn't able to reel him in either though.

Second race we raced my race. I wanted a 1st gear roll. :secret: He didn't really want to run that race because he would spin too much. I told him this "you got the nitrous, see if you can catch me" I guess he didn't notice the Nitto's mounted on the back. His pride got the best of him and he agreed to race. Needless to say he spun 1st and 2nd. I hooked and he was 1.5 cars back. We rowed through 1-2-3-4 gears and he couldn't catch me. He couldn't make up any ground either. His buddies got the race on video. We came back and everyone was very impressed with the GTO. We called it even. He was actually a very cool guy. Even the guy with the Mach 1 was pretty cool later on. We chatted for a bit reviewed the video and went home. I was surprised I could hang in there with the nitrous but the car never stops surprising me.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Nice kill. We want videos! :thumbs:

But I'm surprised the guys were so open about their mods. When I hung out at the El Paso street scene (legal races at an airport), everyone was trying to hustle, and usually for money. "It's stock, really!" :secret: :rolleyes: And the most popular mod in El Paso is the hidden nitrous kit.

Padre

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Awesome man...I still need to come down and check out your car!

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
All motor buddy! Nice runs!!!

Doc

·
Registered
662 Posts
GTO owner in me - Good kill :D Gotta love a h/c setup. I love my cam. Get the LTH on there and you will love the roar about 3gs.

SS owner in me - It was all luck, he let you have it, it wasn't fair :p ( oh wait I sound like a mustang owner :D ) j/k.
[edit] oh forgot one, it wasn't a real SS, its was all badges, no ss would lose to a gto ;)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whew what a long day at work. Anyway, I have to see if I can get the guy who filmed the race to email it to me. We did not use my cam. I didn't know these guys and didn't want to hand them my camera and never see them again if you know what I mean.

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
Very nice kill!!! hmmm were you running the SW LT's or the shorties?
cant wait to see the video it sounds more like Resident evil to me :drink:

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Very nice showing against nitrous! The GTO is all it's imagined to be... and more! :hail:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts