LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has had his '06 GT for a while now, and we've talked about trying to get to the track sometime. As luck would have it, he is also a private pilot, and flys out of a very rural airport about an hour away.

The owner of the airport is a stuntpilot and flys a souped up Stearman, and is just a great guy. Anyway, I never turn down an offer to go for an airplane ride, so I met my neighbor at the airport yesterday afternoon. After a nice flight in which he let me take the controls for a while, we landed to find a small crowd gathered around near our cars. Immediately the discussion centered around who's was faster. My neighbor conceeded mine was faster stock, but with both cars being modified, it was anyone's guess. His GT is a 5-speed, with 4:10 gears, a C&L CAI, custome tune, Kooks headers, and Bassani exhaust, and underdrive pulleys. My GTO has LT's and GMM shifter and a basic tune from Speedinc.

Round # 1
Well, after some banter, the offer was made to run them on the landing strip! So we jumped at the chance and lined up. I launched at 3,200 rpms and got out pretty nicely, but the Mustang had a about a 1/2 car length on me and opened it up to about 3/4 of a length before it was over.

Round #2
I launched at just under 3,500 rpm and got him out of the hole, as I heard him spin. I immediately opened up a car length on him and held on for the win as he was just starting to reel me in a little.

No tie breaker run, but I'll be back with some more mods next time around. What a great time though, and I have to say the neighbors 'stang sounds nice, and really runs pretty hard. He has his eye on a Pro-charger, so I better get crackin!

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
Great post. Sounds like a pretty good match 4:10's are great for a sprint. Also sounds like it's going to be an interesting rematch can't wait to read about it;)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ironmancan said:
Great post. Sounds like a pretty good match 4:10's are great for a sprint. Also sounds like it's going to be an interesting rematch can't wait to read about it;)

Oh, there will be a rematch. As of right now I'd say he's a couple tenths faster, but not much. He's really serious about building his car up further with plans for heads/cam and FI by spring. I may have to do the same!!

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,443 Posts
eng943,

What tires are your running?

I saw a big difference in my launch with KDW2s.

I am sure there are other tires that might give you some more traction.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
b4z said:
eng943,

What tires are your running?

I saw a big difference in my launch with KDW2s.

I am sure there are other tires that might give you some more traction.

Stock BFG's. I plan on switching to DR's.

·
MMOB
1,287 Posts
Sounds like a pair of good races. Let us know how the rematch goes.

·
Frantically Modding
4,458 Posts
Ah, I love a nice close race. My neighbor at home has a bone stock 03 cobra and to my dismay runs 12.20 (shit I gotta spray to beat him). And my neighbor two shops down at work has an 05 'stang that makes 760rwhp w/o his nitrous (could beat him with 16 kits). I have to sneak in and out of the house and work lol.

·
Owns a KIA
6,389 Posts
eng943 said:
My neighbor has had his '06 GT for a while now, and we've talked about trying to get to the track sometime. As luck would have it, he is also a private pilot, and flys out of a very rural airport about an hour away.

The owner of the airport is a stuntpilot and flys a souped up Stearman, and is just a great guy. Anyway, I never turn down an offer to go for an airplane ride, so I met my neighbor at the airport yesterday afternoon. After a nice flight in which he let me take the controls for a while, we landed to find a small crowd gathered around near our cars. Immediately the discussion centered around who's was faster. My neighbor conceeded mine was faster stock, but with both cars being modified, it was anyone's guess. His GT is a 5-speed, with 4:10 gears, a C&L CAI, custome tune, Kooks headers, and Bassani exhaust, and underdrive pulleys. My GTO has LT's and GMM shifter and a basic tune from Speedinc.

Round # 1
Well, after some banter, the offer was made to run them on the landing strip! So we jumped at the chance and lined up. I launched at 3,200 rpms and got out pretty nicely, but the Mustang had a about a 1/2 car length on me and opened it up to about 3/4 of a length before it was over.

Round #2
I launched at just under 3,500 rpm and got him out of the hole, as I heard him spin. I immediately opened up a car length on him and held on for the win as he was just starting to reel me in a little.

No tie breaker run, but I'll be back with some more mods next time around. What a great time though, and I have to say the neighbors 'stang sounds nice, and really runs pretty hard. He has his eye on a Pro-charger, so I better get crackin!
Which SRT8 did you have? I saw it in your sig, but wasn't sure which car you had, the 300, charger or Jeep?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OrangeCrushM6 said:
If it weren't for the 4.10's he'd be toast. Yeah, Yeah, I know, If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle too. ;)
Well the gears do help, but they are only good for about .2 tenths. We figure he has added about 50RWHP to his car with his bolt ons, and that would put his power/weight ratio pretty close to my GTO's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts