LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday night myself and a couple friends are going to the track to race. My question for all you knowledgable people is by racing at the track is this bad for the motor? What damage can happen?

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
TprGTO said:
Wednesday night myself and a couple friends are going to the track to race. My question for all you knowledgable people is by racing at the track is this bad for the motor? What damage can happen?
Well, the absolute worse would be to loose control and crash or miss a shift and not get your foot out of it and blow the engine.

I speed shifted every run (gas on the floor until the end - gotta be quick on the clutch!) using my G-Tech Pro. It measures HP and Torque by accelerometers. It also records engine RPMs. You can actually load the runs onto your PC. On some of my early runs, I shifted at 5750 and the engine reved to 6500-6600. I lowered my shift point to 5250 and that kept RPMs to just over 6000. The point is the engine handled 6500-6600 with no problems. Shifting like that got me to 13.5s but shifting and lifting the throttle netted low 14s.

I have a few other pointers if interested, otherwise I will now shutup.

Jerry

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry thanks for the information, much appreciated.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Yeah, no worries, especially with the A4. Just let it cool down between runs (I usually wait 15 minutes+). Only problems I've seen are when people do multiple back-to-back runs and the heat kills the tranny.

And let us know how you do. I'd be interested to hear how another stock A4 performs. I got my best times by simply putting it in "3", just punching it, and letting the computer do the shifting.

Good luck, Padre

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PadreGTO said:
Yeah, no worries, especially with the A4. Just let it cool down between runs (I usually wait 15 minutes+). Only problems I've seen are when people do multiple back-to-back runs and the heat kills the tranny.

And let us know how you do. I'd be interested to hear how another stock A4 performs. I got my best times by simply putting it in "3", just punching it, and letting the computer do the shifting.

Good luck, Padre
Thanks Padre. Mine has the Predator tuner installed. Obviously no where near the mods of your monster GTO but, but a definate improvment. I will post my times when I get home. I am guessing mid to low 13's. The temperature is supposed to be 85 and low humidty.

·
8,959 Posts
TprGTO said:
Mine has the Predator tuner installed...I will post my times when I get home. I am guessing mid to low 13's. The temperature is supposed to be 85 and low humidty.
Ah, the Predator tune is going to be fun. :cool: Definitely let us know.

Also find out the track altitude - here in Georgia, there's a 0.5 E/T difference between the two tracks, all due to ~1000 foot difference in altitude.

Padre

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Be advised, if something DOES go wrong with the drivetrain while you're at the track, don't expect the warranty to cover the damage. I am sure you will find that disclaimer in your warranty statement. Be prepared to assume the risk.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Yeah, can't wait to see your times-Any Guesses?

TprGTO said:
Thanks Padre. Mine has the Predator tuner installed. Obviously no where near the mods of your monster GTO but, but a definate improvment. I will post my times when I get home. I am guessing mid to low 13's. The temperature is supposed to be 85 and low humidty.
I think low 13's is wishful thinking. Mid 13's maybe, especially hard with those
temps. I'm gonna guess 13.8 if you've raced before and 14.1 if you have not.
Anybody else wanna take some guesses?

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
I think low 13's is wishful thinking. Mid 13's maybe, especially hard with those
temps. I'm gonna guess 13.8 if you've raced before and 14.1 if you have not.
Anybody else wanna take some guesses?
Having raced this car with an M6 and seeing an auto run, I will predict 13.9-14.1

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
You will need a SNELL rated helmut for cars running 14 flat and under. Damn, I wish I had known you were going up today I would have joined ya.

Drag racing is pretty straight forward. WATCH the others first. DON'T drive THROUGH the water box. You'll piss off the people behind you. Drive around it and back into the water and do a short burnout to clean the tires.

Then look for the staging beams in front of you on the strip. Creap up to them. When you see the 1st yellow come on, you are prestaged. creap forward ever so slightly to engage the 2nd yellow light. You are now staged and when the other person is staged the lights will come down.

Rev the motor to 2K, bring the clutch up to just so it is engageing and when the 3rd yellow light comes on, count 1, and go. Don't wait for the green. Watch your shift points and watch for the beams at the other end. When you pass the timeing light bill board, SLOOOOW DOWN.

The turn off is to the RIGHT. Drive down the road, stop at the little booth to get your timeslip and drive back to the stageing lanes.

There, you have just made your first trip down New England Dragway.

As I said, sit in the stands and just observe for a little bit. Next time you go, give me a few days heads up. I would love to go with you. :)

GOOD LUCK!

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
Oh, bring a tire pressure gauge too. Lower the tires to about 25lbs 1st run, then 20 the 2nd run. See if that helps.

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
I agree with a lot of that expect the part about backing into the water. I have found that backing into the water and then doing a burn-out does nothing for you except the manlyness factor of smoke rolling.
I did find 20 psi to be the best. I drove around the box, puched it to clean them off, and staged. No water. Also I found 3k to be about optimum for the slipping clutch launch.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Page 2-18 of the GTO Owner's Manual says to have about 1 quart extra oil in the engine during competetive driving or racing, and to lower the level when done. I do not know much about LS1s yet, but it goes without saying to keep the oil level up. I predict 13.9, 101 mph and lots of fun.

·
8,959 Posts
mrgto said:
There, you have just made your first trip down New England Dragway.
Good guide, but remember: he's got an automatic. :)

I just checked - the New England Dragway is at 90ft altitude. Very nice. I won't make a prediction on times, but with his Predator tune and a good track, he'll do fine, even if it is a little hot. Break into the 13's with 100+mph traps and I'd be happy.

Good luck Trooper!

Padre

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
PadreGTO said:

I just checked - the New England Dragway is at 90ft altitude. Very nice. I won't make a prediction on times, but with his Predator tune and a good track, he'll do fine, even if it is a little hot. Break into the 13's with 100+mph traps and I'd be happy.

Good luck Trooper!

Padre
I forgot about the A4 part. Anyway, above all enjoy it. It is a nice track, haven't raced there in many years but it was one of the stops when I was campaigning my bike some years ago.

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
It is hot and humid today and they do not prep the track on wed. 60' times won't be that great.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PadreGTO said:

Good luck Trooper!

Padre
Thanks Padre, and low 13's might be wishful thinking. When I get home I will post the results. Tonight...Floor it!!!!

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The track is Lebanon Valley Speedway, Lebanon NY if anyone is around tonight.

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
You're driving all the way out there? I thought you lived on the North Shore?

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mrgto said:
You're driving all the way out there? I thought you lived on the North Shore?
I live in the Berkshires, Western MA. I border NY and VT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts