LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GTO owners i have an 04 GTO im trying to replace the rack and pinion still has the stock one it’s currently damaged im trying to order a new one but there’s two different sizes 16 mm and 14 mm I wanted to know what the 04 has thank you

·
Worthless reject member
51,742 Posts

if it's the OE rack it is probably 16mm. the KYB racks were 14mm. from a practical standpoint, they use different size outer tie rod ends. other than this, they are interchangeable from what i understand.

i am not sure at this point where to buy a good rack, as they are all remanufactured at this point. in my experience this is hit or miss. there is unlikely any new OE racks available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

if it's the OE rack it is probably 16mm. the KYB racks were 14mm. from a practical standpoint, they use different size outer tie rod ends. other than this, they are interchangeable from what i understand.

i am not sure at this point where to buy a good rack, as they are all remanufactured at this point. in my experience this is hit or miss. there is unlikely any new OE racks available.
[/QUOTE

so I would buy the 16mm then?

·
Worthless reject member
51,742 Posts
it would really only matter if you were reusing your tie rod ends.

you could just measure the diameter of the threads of the inner tie rod.

·
GTOless
7,167 Posts
I see he has it for $800 why are other ones going for 300
$300 for a rebuilt which seems to be really hit or miss (more miss than hit). The only way an 04 would have a KYB is if it was replaced at some point. I believe it says KYB next to the part number on the rack. You will have to measure yours most likely unless you are pulling out the rack.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I see he has it for $800 why are other ones going for 300
His is a brand new factory never been installed unit. I manage an auto shop and with the failure rate of racks "built" to the highest quality that their cheapest rebuild parts and minimum wage employees will produce. I'll buy a 100k oem before I'll continue swapping a rack 2-3 times before I get a "good" one while wearing out a rabbit's foot hoping that it makes it through my warranty period.

Size is super easy. Grab a 14mm and a 16mm wrench and try to put it over the threads on the tie rod.

·
Premium Member
2005 M6 - 427 Texas Speed LS, FAST 102, Kooks headers, Pedders suspension and bushings.
32 Posts
I recently replaced my rack that was leaking after about 200,000 miles. I tried to get a new rack, but after being shipped two of them and neither would fit along with a lot of web searching for other sources, I gave up on a new rack. I was able to get a remanufactured one and after about 500 miles it is working fine so far. I was very alarmed when a tag on the rack said that it was not intended for high performance use. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts after track time...

If I could have gotten my hands on a rack with low miles (let alone a new one) I definitely would have purchased it.

That is my two cents.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I recently replaced my rack that was leaking after about 200,000 miles. I tried to get a new rack, but after being shipped two of them and neither would fit along with a lot of web searching for other sources, I gave up on a new rack. I was able to get a remanufactured one and after about 500 miles it is working fine so far. I was very alarmed when a tag on the rack said that it was not intended for high performance use. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts after track time...

If I could have gotten my hands on a rack with low miles (let alone a new one) I definitely would have purchased it.

That is my two cents.
Where did you purchase your rack

·
Premium Member
2005 M6 - 427 Texas Speed LS, FAST 102, Kooks headers, Pedders suspension and bushings.
32 Posts
I purchased the rebuilt rack from CARiD.

·
Registered
24 Posts

That is my two cents.
I have a slow leak from my power steering fluid (unsure where), creaking noises when turning at low speed and generally sloppy front end. 148k miles. I believe it is all original suspension so I am working on getting all bushings etc replaced.

How do I determine if its the actual rack leaking, not just the lines or pump? Should I be taking it to a trusted shop or is it easy enough to spot up on jack stands?

That new rack listed is probably a smart move, but at $800, hard to justify with miles on car and other work needed. Previously, a local single bay mechanic who looked over the car for me suggested just keeping the fluid topped up. Any kind of stop leak product recommended in this case, or am I just asking for trouble?

Plan is to switch out the outer tie rods asap (Roadsafe).

Just want to be able to enjoy the car on the weekends, occasional DD. not looking to mod or put large sums of $ into it.

Were you having other symptoms other than the leak?

·
Registered
2004 M6 PMB
376 Posts
What are the symptoms of a bad rack and pinion ? leaking ? Just watched a YouTube of a steering disassembly (Honda), and that one may have had a bad pinion bearing. Lose bearing could lead to a seal leak, loss of pressure. Does not look extremely hard to rebuild. Can't be much worse / tedious than swapping / setting up an axle ring and pinion !

Looks like there may be companies new seals could obtained from. Bearing could be matched up. No write up from anyone ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts