LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys think is the best radar detector you can get? I have read about the valentine1 and now after reading a post from Huntress I discovered the K40.

Just curious about some of your opinions on this topic......I hope TprGTO is not reading :D

I do have a lead foot........but I am always careful in school zones and traffic areas. The interstate is where it is real easy to drive 90 and not notice it.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Actually, I would be interested in a honest answer from those in the law enforcement arena. (is this a conflict of interest?)

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
For me this is mostly about those times I do not realize how fast I am going... think road trips on open highway. This car always freaks me out when I look down to see how fast I am going. :eek:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huntress said:
For me this is mostly about those times I do not realize how fast I am going... think road trips on open highway. This car always freaks me out when I look down to see how fast I am going. :eek:
I agree, this car is so smooth at the high speeds.....90 can easily feel like 50. Huntress are you getting that license plate laser jammer they talk about on the site?

·
2,137 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Huntress are you getting that license plate laser jammer they talk about on the site?
That's the plan :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a cobra it goes off at crosswalk lights, cameras on the expressway,sometimes at the flashing roadwork signs.It doesn't bother me any being that sensitive.It has automute so it beeps as loud as you set it then gets quieter till the problem is gone.I don't drive that fast either ,but it makes me keep an eye on my speed.See if you can listen to the detector before purchase or make sure you can trade it for a different model as some are vary annoying with all the beeps and whistles sounding like a siren in your car, even when you just turn it on.Mine beeps and a lady tells you which signal it is picking up. X, K,Ka ,VG-2,Lazer ,train. Have fun

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Radar/Laser

Okay, honest and impartial... Your built in overspeed annunciator is your best friend. As long as you are moving with the flow of and in traffic, there is safety in numbers. I was a City cop. Around here, Troopers have the say on the highways and I have total faith in their reasonability. The seasoned guys KNOW what they are doing. Remember, 90% of what happens on a stop depends on you and attitude. I have stopped a zillion cars and polite attentiveness, displayed understanding by the driver at the explanation, and their receptiveness, got more people a verbal caution and a departing wave than a warning, money fine, or Court appearance. On our roads, 10 may slide, more won't usually unless it's barren road. Detectors I don't have a problem with. In fact, I like them. They give me a chance to send you a message without added bother to me. They will announce a car mounted 'always on' unit in time to respond. More today are hit the button 'instant paint units'. The detector only informs you you've just been had. Sometimes I would just paint an approaching car with the radar as a wake up call and leave them be. Even as City cops we would do Route 9, 30, and an occasional jaunt on 128. A performance car in good shape simply at ten over would not evoke my interest like the same car at ten over weaving through slower traffic, lane to lane. Darker colors do not evince interest as much as the brighter colors. It's a psychological thing. It's not just about simple speed alone, it's more about speed coupled with aggressive and unpredicatble behavior, lack of signals, failure to be patient, smooth and graceful in traffic, flustering those around you. I liken it to dropping a Hawk in a flock of Chickens. Somebody is probably going to get hurt. That driver is going to get stopped no matter what. Jammers, on the other hand, make my radar or laser flaky, maybe when I'm after somebody in your flock who is maybe crazier than you and NEEDS to be stopped before he or she kills someone down the road, just time and date uncertain. If I can figure out who had the Jammer, well there is a sure and certain Court appearance for a criminal Obstruction of Justice charge. Bring your Depends, checkbook, and a toothbrush. Hope this helps, honestly. ;)

·
2,137 Posts
Hmmmm maybe my plan changes... I have to admit I was a little wishy washy on that one, but was "getting a deal"

Getting a deal on "Criminal Obstruction of Justice" just doesn't sound like such a deal.

Thank you Old Goat... I am not a criminal, nor do I want to be one out of ignorance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Valentine 1 wins the independent tests time after time.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Criminals

Huntress said:
Hmmmm maybe my plan changes... I have to admit I was a little wishy washy on that one, but was "getting a deal"

Getting a deal on "Criminal Obstruction of Justice" just doesn't sound like such a deal.

Thank you Old Goat... I am not a criminal, nor do I want to be one out of ignorance.
I never suspected you were, nor anyone else here, just good solid people trying to do the right thing and still maintain an edge... :thumbs: The criminals probably have their own Forum... ;)

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
I have a V1 ....no front plate

I wanted to put a Laser Shifter system (legal) but too much wiring and stuff. Plus I just want protection from accidentally doing something really stupid. i.e. chirping my tires in my YELLOW GTO when there is a cop a few cars back I do not see or something like that.

·
Resident Sheriff
4,691 Posts
V1. After a few saves you have made your money back on it.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Old Goat said:
Okay, honest and impartial... Your built in overspeed annunciator is your best friend. As long as you are moving with the flow of and in traffic, there is safety in numbers. I was a City cop. Around here, Troopers have the say on the highways and I have total faith in their reasonability. The seasoned guys KNOW what they are doing. Remember, 90% of what happens on a stop depends on you and attitude. I have stopped a zillion cars and polite attentiveness, displayed understanding by the driver at the explanation, and their receptiveness, got more people a verbal caution and a departing wave than a warning, money fine, or Court appearance. On our roads, 10 may slide, more won't usually unless it's barren road. Detectors I don't have a problem with. In fact, I like them. They give me a chance to send you a message without added bother to me. They will announce a car mounted 'always on' unit in time to respond. More today are hit the button 'instant paint units'. The detector only informs you you've just been had. Sometimes I would just paint an approaching car with the radar as a wake up call and leave them be. Even as City cops we would do Route 9, 30, and an occasional jaunt on 128. A performance car in good shape simply at ten over would not evoke my interest like the same car at ten over weaving through slower traffic, lane to lane. Darker colors do not evince interest as much as the brighter colors. It's a psychological thing. It's not just about simple speed alone, it's more about speed coupled with aggressive and unpredicatble behavior, lack of signals, failure to be patient, smooth and graceful in traffic, flustering those around you. I liken it to dropping a Hawk in a flock of Chickens. Somebody is probably going to get hurt. That driver is going to get stopped no matter what. Jammers, on the other hand, make my radar or laser flaky, maybe when I'm after somebody in your flock who is maybe crazier than you and NEEDS to be stopped before he or she kills someone down the road, just time and date uncertain. If I can figure out who had the Jammer, well there is a sure and certain Court appearance for a criminal Obstruction of Justice charge. Bring your Depends, checkbook, and a toothbrush. Hope this helps, honestly. ;)
i'm with you all the way on this one.

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
Old Goat said:
Well said OldGoat.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Differentiation

DevilYellow said:
I have a V1 ....no front plate

I wanted to put a Laser Shifter system (legal) but too much wiring and stuff. Plus I just want protection from accidentally doing something really stupid. i.e. chirping my tires in my YELLOW GTO when there is a cop a few cars back I do not see or something like that.
Your best bet on that is having a veteran Officer in the cruiser who can tell an oops or innocent fun from an all out assault on humanity... :thumbs: I imagine that is why the places that have the regular great cruises come off so well, tolerance and understanding go a long way on both sides. Restraint coupled with a couple of occasional chirps or lunges largely separated from the regular folks ain't a bad thing, just not a good idea mixed in with the four banger grocery getters.... :D

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
I am not reading this post :sneaky: ...really. :D

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
I hope my Chief is..

TprGTO said:
I am not reading this post :sneaky: ...really. :D
He always wanted a more agressive me....something about revenue enhancement....for that purpose, NO! For unbridled idiocy, SURE! :thumbs:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Good advice, Old Goat. But tell me, is it better to get out of the car when stopped
so the Trooper or Officer can see your hands? Here down South, many people have
a pistol in the glovebox, and I can't understand why those policemen who conduct
a traffic stop walk up to a driver's window to ask for a license.
Also, what are good, respectful lines that an officer would like to hear and maybe
let one slide...? (Tpr, you don't have to respond, but I'll read a PM and then delete it.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Old Goat,
I was beginning to wonder for a moment if you did indeed retire on a Commissioner's Superannuation!

But your forthright observation says it all!

Mike

1 - 20 of 51 Posts