LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally have time to do the radiator replacement that I've been putting off and I've discovered that I need some parts that aren't normally needed

first off I discovered that I am lacking one upper radiator stay

Secondly the two lower rubber mount donuts were worn out asymmetrically probably due to the radiator being able to shift around because of a lack of a radiator stay.

back in '13 I had an overheating issue and I suspect the dealership is responsible for the loss of the stay

Anyway, I've been unable to find these parts with normal search engine searches on the internet

·
Administrator
8,978 Posts
Reactions: Dog Soldier

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
GR-RRR!
7,029 Posts
A salvage yard might be your best bet on getting those clips. There are plenty of GTOs with front end collisions which won't be rebuilt and thus should have clips that won't be needed for anything else. Are you also missing the upper rubber donuts? The lack of clips wouldn't cause the radiator to sit funny or shift around, but the lack of the upper donuts sure could.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The upper donuts are just fine, the difference between their condition and the lower mounts was striking

·
Worthless reject member
49,793 Posts
just speaking in terms of replacement parts, the upper (side?) rubber donuts aren't really available nor are the clips. used ones can look like warmed over dook.

the bottom mounts i think you can get from gtog8ta.

now, just from the simplicity of the shape, one would think you could easily source a replacement, perhaps a part from another car, or at least mold a poly replacement.

·
GTOless
7,146 Posts
I do have a couple complete sets of new oem rubber mounts (4 total) if anyone is looking for them, I do not have the clips.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got all the parts collected and when mounting the new radiator I felt a bind and a wobble. Checked and see a screw sticking up. Anyone else have this? I’m going to file it down I think
Automotive tire Wood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
GR-RRR!
7,029 Posts
The radiator should be nowhere near that screw. Perhaps is the crossmember upon which the radiator rests bent at all? It should be perfectly straight and flat across the span from frame rail to frame rail.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The radiator should be nowhere near that screw. Perhaps is the crossmember upon which the radiator rests bent at all? It should be perfectly straight and flat across the span from frame rail to frame rail.
I'm afraid that it may be bent, I'm going to need to check that out. I've only had one accident with the car and that was siding off the road and it may have gotten bent then

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A follow up, it was in fact bent badly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What did you end up doing to fix it?
I'm ordering a replacement part but what I did was break out some of my old body working tools and form it back till it was flat again. Looks like hell if you crawl under the car and it was probably more work than replacing it will be but I've got the radiator in and the car running again

Rawhide mallet, rubber mallet, 4x4 with padding on it etc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts