LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2006 GTO ~37k Miles
Stock radio that everything works besides it no longer takes CDs.
When you press the LOAD button, the radio shows Please Wait, but you dont hear any noises anymore. Sometimes this gives you the CD Error code or just goes back to the radio.
I did pull the radio out and check inside of the CD Changer. There wasnt any CDs in it and it seems to move okay. Trying to figure out what to spin when and get it to move seems nearly impossible.

Searching, i didnt find any posts like mine. Usually they move and get jammed. Mine just doesnt do anything. I was hoping someone had some insight. Or schematics. Some sort of help.

Thanks!

·
Got Zydrate?
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Seems the CD / CD changer is the weak portion of these radios. I used to get a 'Mech Error', if I remember right. Like you, I took mine apart but couldn't find anything wrong. I did rescue my captive CDs and the put it back together. I replaced it with an Alpine CDE-W265, mainly because I didn't want a touch screen. I dont need another distraction.

·
Administrator
8,852 Posts
Any particular reason you want to keep that pile of trash original head unit? That thing is a dinosaur.
A lot of people don’t like changing head units; especially in cars like these that may be summer fun toys and want the originality of the car to stay intact.

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
You might want to contact Bohnman, I believe he has had some success getting these to work correctly again. Could just be a cracked solder joint somewhere or a burned out drive motor. You could replace the entire head unit with one that works, they are often sold off by folks upgrading to some aftermarket unit. It is now easy to get the radio code online, but I forget where to get that tool but if you search here I'm sure it will pop up.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
464 Posts
Any particular reason you want to keep that pile of trash original head unit? That thing is a dinosaur.
I still have the stocker in my 06. While an aftermarket one is going to do EVERYTHING better, I decided to keep mine because it matches the interior better and keeps the original flow of the car(plastics and displays match the dash as well). I only drive it in the summer, and I just really need bluetooth so I had the Bohnman AUX added and I'm happy.......

Keep in mind the whole car is a dinosaur, look at the cluster display. A new radio would look out of place to me.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
1,345 Posts
I still have to OE head unit in my '05 too. I'm not sure if the CD player works since I don't play them, I only listen to the radio. I would love to have a back-up camera, but it's not needed enough for me to replace the radio.

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
I still have to OE head unit in my '05 too. I'm not sure if the CD player works since I don't play them, I only listen to the radio. I would love to have a back-up camera, but it's not needed enough for me to replace the radio.
I have been spoiled with the backup camera in the my daily. I still turn my head and look, but the camera can see things at ground level you just can't see from inside. I also find myself looking at the radio to see the artist and song title, but the stock GTO radio doesn't share that nor does it have Sirius XM. But, I'll leave the stock unit in the car, it is more than enough for when I'm driving the GTO and we have a really good classic rock station here. And my CD system still works just fine if I have to have something else.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
i couldnt fathom listening to the radio, lol. i literally hate having to. i dont want to listen to bafoons babble my entire way to work or on the way home.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
1,345 Posts
i couldnt fathom listening to the radio, lol. i literally hate having to. i dont want to listen to bafoons babble my entire way to work or on the way home.
I have a couple news radio stations that I listen to for (mostly) unbiased news, sports, business/money, plus weather and traffic on the 8s. :) If I've already heard enough news and stuff, I'll scroll through the music stations.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Since your CD player no longer works you can send the unit off to a company that will use the CD source and turn it into an aux out. Then you can play music from your phone via the aux port. Either that or get a used unit. Might be best to get an aftermarket unit installed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 2006 GTO ~37k Miles
Stock radio that everything works besides it no longer takes CDs.
When you press the LOAD button, the radio shows Please Wait, but you dont hear any noises anymore. Sometimes this gives you the CD Error code or just goes back to the radio.
I did pull the radio out and check inside of the CD Changer. There wasnt any CDs in it and it seems to move okay. Trying to figure out what to spin when and get it to move seems nearly impossible.

Searching, i didnt find any posts like mine. Usually they move and get jammed. Mine just doesnt do anything. I was hoping someone had some insight. Or schematics. Some sort of help.

Thanks!
Hello, I have an OEM head unit that I replaced with a newer unit that I can sell out let me know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the late respond. Notification emails went to a different email! Thanks for the responses!

A lot of people don’t like changing head units; especially in cars like these that may be summer fun toys and want the originality of the car to stay intact.
This is thee exact reason why I want to keep mine. Besides an aftermarket intake and the Magnaflow mufflers, its all pretty much stock. Honestly I rarely have the radio on unless Im on a long trip or have a nice looking lady sitting next to me. The car and the sound of the exhaust is my meditation and therapy.

You might want to contact Bohnman, I believe he has had some success getting these to work correctly again. Could just be a cracked solder joint somewhere or a burned out drive motor. You could replace the entire head unit with one that works, they are often sold off by folks upgrading to some aftermarket unit. It is now easy to get the radio code online, but I forget where to get that tool but if you search here I'm sure it will pop up.
I will find him and give him a shout! I have an electrical degree. Im just scared to pull it apart with all of the gears. I dont know where things should be where at. It seems like the drive motor or something is messed up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts