LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used or heard about "dig_options", a seller of audio/video equipment in Australia that offers plug'n'play units with full modern (2020) touch screens, bluetooth, android/carplay. You do have to add microphone, and GPS antennae for nav to work, and rear camera also if you want that, but otherwise it is almost plug and play it seems. It has a built-in front template that matches the GTO's opening exactly, but otherwise it seems almost too easy a swap so I was wondering what the negatives are if someone else has been through them. Thanks.

Lance

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was looking at those too. Right now it seems exchange rate is good for us. I just haven't heard anything recently either

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
You get a free dash kit when you order from Crutchfield and it looks the same without having to deal with importing a headunit and exchange rates. With a wiring harness and they're service to set it all up, it's plug and play. Or you can get the harness and set it up yourself very easily.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Although there are links for "Pontiac" and "GTO", when you click them all the products are for Holden. So I suspect that the dash kits probably won't fit and the radio/nav units are likely AU spec which means different radio bands and no US maps.
I would second the Crutchfield suggestion, they have great service and support as well as a very liberal return policy.

·
It's only cosmetic...
462 Posts
Although there are links for "Pontiac" and "GTO", when you click them all the products are for Holden. So I suspect that the dash kits probably won't fit and the radio/nav units are likely AU spec which means different radio bands and no US maps.
I would second the Crutchfield suggestion, they have great service and support as well as a very liberal return policy.
It all fits and works. They fixed the issues with nav and radio for the US years ago.

If they had newer hardware that supported Android Auto I would get one. They were designed to look like they were factory installed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. That Kenwood unit looks great. Its true that Dig_options now has US maps and play US videos, and now they are android compatible. I use waze on my phone and want the headunit screen to play videos because I drive 300 miles from Miami to Tampa 4 times a month, so it also needs a good bluetooth since its required by law now. The only extra effort for the Dig_options seems to be that you have to detach the factory wiring harness plug from the factory mounting bracket/cage so it floats back and gives you the addition room needed for the plug'n'play adaptor, which also seems to be easily reversible. Of course, if you add the GPS and rear camera, etc. you also need to plug them in and run the wires, but the steering controls just need to be programmed. The trim matches the GTO satin black trim pretty good too so I guess I'll be the guinea pig to try it and let you all know

·
It's only cosmetic...
462 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. That Kenwood unit looks great. Its true that Dig_options now has US maps and play US videos, and now they are android compatible. I use waze on my phone and want the headunit screen to play videos because I drive 300 miles from Miami to Tampa 4 times a month, so it also needs a good bluetooth since its required by law now. The only extra effort for the Dig_options seems to be that you have to detach the factory wiring harness plug from the factory mounting bracket/cage so it floats back and gives you the addition room needed for the plug'n'play adaptor, which also seems to be easily reversible. Of course, if you add the GPS and rear camera, etc. you also need to plug them in and run the wires, but the steering controls just need to be programmed. The trim matches the GTO satin black trim pretty good too so I guess I'll be the guinea pig to try it and let you all know
Have you looked through this thread?

It has the info you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone ever used or heard about "dig_options", a seller of audio/video equipment in Australia that offers plug'n'play units with full modern (2020) touch screens, bluetooth, android/carplay. You do have to add microphone, and GPS antennae for nav to work, and rear camera also if you want that, but otherwise it is almost plug and play it seems. It has a built-in front template that matches the GTO's opening exactly, but otherwise it seems almost too easy a swap so I was wondering what the negatives are if someone else has been through them. Thanks.

Lance
I dont really use this forum, but i got this in my feed and thought i could help.

I put in my V2 Monaro a Kenwood DMX 7704S double din android auto unit with aeropro adapter kits (one for the plugs to the stereo and an addon for steering wheel controls). I did this a few years ago when android head units were pretty expensive (using a US refurbished unit). Looks OEM with the Aeropro as its same colour as rest of the area. As its double din it was super easy to do (at least compared to my Audi which was a complete pain in the arse).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I finally got my new dig-options radio head unit from Australia and of course had some free time to play with it. It is installed and I can say not only was it extremely easy, it looks great too. It was already programmed to display the Holden logo which was a nice bonus. The front face matches the GTO console exactly, so it looks totally factory and it was completely plug and play. It even slides into the same bracket so you don't need to hack up the dash in any way. I didn't add the optional cameras because I already had a data video recorder that works fine, and there is also a tire pressure monitor/temperature option if you want that but I also already had installed one of those (it's solar powered so no wiring either, by the way, just stick it to your windshield). I did run the GPS antenna since it came with it, even though I use "waze" on my phone so it has a dedicated screen. You can program the video to play while driving so no wire needed to watch videos in motion. It takes micro SD cards which can hold dozens of movies or plug in a USB to a cable which I ran into the glove box and have hundreds of videos on a solid state hard drive. Also ran the bluetooth microphone wire up the windshield post, but that was the only "wiring" needed. The factory radio connector that's mounted on the left rear side of the bracket had to be detached from the metal bracket by its clips after connecting to the new head unit so it "floats" behind the bracket now for space reasons. The only minor issue I had is that dig-options provides a short (about 1.5 inches) radio antenna adaptor (german/us) that wasn't making a good connection when the head unit was installed, so I got a longer version from a local stereo installer ($12) that's' about 8 inches, and then I detached the factory connector from the internal metal dash bracket so it also "floats" behind the bracket, and the radio works fine now. One added bonus I didn't expect, the steering wheel controls not only work fine, but you can change their function. In fact, you can make your six buttons do a lot of other functions besides volume, mode and track change. Programming is simple. In learning mode, you press the steering wheel button you want to program, then the function on the head unit you want it to perform. Right now I have them set to the same six factory functions but you have the choice to make them answer and hang up your cellphone among about 30 other choices, so I may decide to re-program them at some point. Easiest new radio install I ever did in 40 years. If I had had the right antenna adaptor when I first tried the install would have been less than an hour, most of it spent running the microphone and GPS antenna cables very neatly. If anyone wants any more info I am happy to assist. Thanks to all who responded to my original post.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sound quality is more than satisfactory and the sound level on videos is pretty good. I often have a tough time hearing the sound on videos unless it is at full volume, but with this unit I can hear it pretty good at 3/4 full. I have a 312 mile, 4 1/2 hour drive twice a week so I have been set up to watch movies for a long time in all my cars that have built in screens which I hacked to play movies. Usually you still have to install wiring and a switch to defeat the screen lockout while moving, but this unit only required going into the settings and turning off the switch that controls the video in motion. I recently bought my GTO which I only really use for car shows and for making the drive twice week. I didn't originally plan to make any modifications as I bought one of those "smart rear view mirrors" that just clip over your basic mirror. I thought it was going to be great because the mirror uses a micro SDcard and can actually play movies on the mirror itself, but unless your happy with a very small screen on one side, you lose the rear view mirror. The mirror has a crappy speaker unless you use its FM broadcast feature to play it on your car radio, but that sound quality is pretty much crap also with static, etc. I thought I either had to live with that or go the usual route of adding some double din unit that requires hacking up the dash and wiring, finding one that also had steering wheel controls adaptors or lose them, and generally look added on even with the Crutchfield double din faceplate. This one uses the same factory bracket and slides in or out in a second with the 2-pin removal brackets.It matches the factory matte black perfectly too so it really looks factory. Made by a company called MASTEN. I tried to show it in pictures, but its not simple getting the light correct so I took several to send you. Hopefully you can make it out but if you want any more pics I'll try. I would suggest looking it up on ebay to get more info and better quality pictures. But I didn't find it on the regular ebay for the USA. I actually go to ebay.au or australia to try to find Monaro VZ items not available in the US and that is where I found DigOptions

As far as hardware options, You can add both front and back cameras and it has a DVR for them so they record, too. It has more apps installed then I will ever use or get to, like most smart phones. It has Wifi that connects to my house when I am at home, and you can screen cast to your smart TV even. Of course, you can even add more apps, and it is Android compatible with a cable, or Apple with wifi, if you want to get that connected. I don't want waze on my screen, thats what the phone is for so I can use it for video movies, which can either be via a DVD disc, or the SD card or a hard drive and USB, which ever you prefer. The rear has both a bluetooth and a wifi antenna built in, and the GPS antenna just needs to be mounted and the cable run to the screw in rear terminal. The mic for the bluetooth uses a regular style mini plug, and I think the cameras have plugs too, but most of the connections use multi-pin computer style connectors. each one is unique so you can't screw up plugging them into the wrong terminal. Sorry I don't have a picture of the back to show you what I mean. There is a main terminal that has a 10 or 12 pin connector in which the other end goes into the factory plugs, including the steering wheel controls. If you don't use the factory plug, it comes with one that has all RCA plugs on the other end, as well as the USB, but I didn't use that at all. It has a dedicated USB cable that has a 4-pin square connector. That's all I'm using right now, but there are other (about 4 more) multi pin plug in terminals for several options that you can also buy, like the tire pressure monitoring system, and another feature that requires a cable that plugs into your OBDII terminal under the dash to allow you to monitor your engine while driving . The micro SD card slot is in front. Like I said, I will never use all the features, but having the option is nice and I won't get bored too easily. Happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thats pretty nice. I want the GPS with an Aussie lady talking to me haha. If you dont mind me asking how much did that run you with shipping and everything, and how long did it take to get to you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just under $500 with shipping, I think about $480. The auction is in Australian dollars so it may fluctuate. The Australian lady telling me where to go is pretty nice, by the way!!!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Sound quality is more than satisfactory and the sound level on videos is pretty good. I often have a tough time hearing the sound on videos unless it is at full volume, but with this unit I can hear it pretty good at 3/4 full. I have a 312 mile, 4 1/2 hour drive twice a week so I have been set up to watch movies for a long time in all my cars that have built in screens which I hacked to play movies. Usually you still have to install wiring and a switch to defeat the screen lockout while moving, but this unit only required going into the settings and turning off the switch that controls the video in motion. I recently bought my GTO which I only really use for car shows and for making the drive twice week. I didn't originally plan to make any modifications as I bought one of those "smart rear view mirrors" that just clip over your basic mirror. I thought it was going to be great because the mirror uses a micro SDcard and can actually play movies on the mirror itself, but unless your happy with a very small screen on one side, you lose the rear view mirror. The mirror has a crappy speaker unless you use its FM broadcast feature to play it on your car radio, but that sound quality is pretty much crap also with static, etc. I thought I either had to live with that or go the usual route of adding some double din unit that requires hacking up the dash and wiring, finding one that also had steering wheel controls adaptors or lose them, and generally look added on even with the Crutchfield double din faceplate. This one uses the same factory bracket and slides in or out in a second with the 2-pin removal brackets.It matches the factory matte black perfectly too so it really looks factory. Made by a company called MASTEN. I tried to show it in pictures, but its not simple getting the light correct so I took several to send you. Hopefully you can make it out but if you want any more pics I'll try. I would suggest looking it up on ebay to get more info and better quality pictures. But I didn't find it on the regular ebay for the USA. I actually go to ebay.au or australia to try to find Monaro VZ items not available in the US and that is where I found DigOptions

As far as hardware options, You can add both front and back cameras and it has a DVR for them so they record, too. It has more apps installed then I will ever use or get to, like most smart phones. It has Wifi that connects to my house when I am at home, and you can screen cast to your smart TV even. Of course, you can even add more apps, and it is Android compatible with a cable, or Apple with wifi, if you want to get that connected. I don't want waze on my screen, thats what the phone is for so I can use it for video movies, which can either be via a DVD disc, or the SD card or a hard drive and USB, which ever you prefer. The rear has both a bluetooth and a wifi antenna built in, and the GPS antenna just needs to be mounted and the cable run to the screw in rear terminal. The mic for the bluetooth uses a regular style mini plug, and I think the cameras have plugs too, but most of the connections use multi-pin computer style connectors. each one is unique so you can't screw up plugging them into the wrong terminal. Sorry I don't have a picture of the back to show you what I mean. There is a main terminal that has a 10 or 12 pin connector in which the other end goes into the factory plugs, including the steering wheel controls. If you don't use the factory plug, it comes with one that has all RCA plugs on the other end, as well as the USB, but I didn't use that at all. It has a dedicated USB cable that has a 4-pin square connector. That's all I'm using right now, but there are other (about 4 more) multi pin plug in terminals for several options that you can also buy, like the tire pressure monitoring system, and another feature that requires a cable that plugs into your OBDII terminal under the dash to allow you to monitor your engine while driving . The micro SD card slot is in front. Like I said, I will never use all the features, but having the option is nice and I won't get bored too easily. Happy to answer any more questions you may have.
Looks really good. I just have to ask a question. Are you actually watching movies while driving, or is this for a passenger?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sucks that this thread just dropped dead. Like the rest of the forum.

Gonna buy this head unit. Unfortunately it looks like in the last 5 months your positive review has driven the price up $100.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts