LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my GTO is going under the knife the next 3 days. Gonna get it tinted and have a full sound system put in. Im getting MB Quart speakers all around with pheonix gold amps. Also having the valentine one radar hard wired. Im getting the subwoofer mounted in the spare tire well. Should still have a usable trunk when im done. The 7" subs in it now will be removed to help vent the base into the car. Should have the amps mounted above the gas tank to save even more space in the trunk. When im done i will post pictures. O by the way i kept the stock head unit. I want everyting to look stock when im done. When i get pictures where do i post them? How do i post them? Anyone even interested?

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Sure! You never know when somebody has the same ideas so the pics will be helpful. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also want to keep my stock radio. I finally got around to removing all of the interior/trunk trim and now I just need to figure out the wiring. When your installation is done please tell me which speaker level outputs you routed to your amps. I'm concerned that the outputs to the various speakers might not all be full range. I want to have at least a front and a rear output wired to my amp so I can use the fader.

·
Wanna Take A Ride?
180 Posts
snowwdog said:
Ok so my GTO is going under the knife the next 3 days. Gonna get it tinted and have a full sound system put in. Im getting MB Quart speakers all around with pheonix gold amps. Also having the valentine one radar hard wired. Im getting the subwoofer mounted in the spare tire well. Should still have a usable trunk when im done. The 7" subs in it now will be removed to help vent the base into the car. Should have the amps mounted above the gas tank to save even more space in the trunk. When im done i will post pictures. O by the way i kept the stock head unit. I want everyting to look stock when im done. When i get pictures where do i post them? How do i post them? Anyone even interested?
Sounds like it will be a nice system! I had mb quarts long time ago in my iroc.. good sounding speakers.

Easiest way I know to post pics is use the "Manage Attachments" option below the post or reply window. Or sometimes I just paste a link to cardomain or webshots where I have pics stored.

Hope to see pics of your install soon, good luck with it! ;)

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel a little sick today. I went in to see about the tint color and i saw my GTO sitting there compleatly gutted. They had everything gutted from the car right down to the bare metal base pan. They even had the carpet up. There was a stack of red leather seats sitting nicely piled up in the corner. What a sick sight. One thing they are having problems with is getting to the tweeters in the dash. My dash was compleatly ripped apart. I think if they have questions tommorow ill answer them on the phone. Dont get me wrong, these guys are top notch. I just cant stand to see it look like that.

·
WOT's up?
559 Posts
Snowdog,

Don't ever go to the operation room when surgery is taking place!!!

Let me know how they hard wired your V1, I want to do the same thing but don't want to fry the computer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think the issue is quality not outright volume.

The mods sound great but I hope they are top notch as you say because often when a car gets ripped apart like that itll never be the same. It becomes looser and more suseptible to rattle.

Adam

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
snowwdog,

I wish you got pictures. I would like to see the dash out, ...actually how to get it out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If they need any help pulling the dash apart, they only need to ask ... :) it comes apart pretty easy, even access to the tweeters - you just need to know the tricks :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aux Input adapter for GTO radio

Does anyone know the model number of the factory Blaupunkt radio? I am trying to locate an AUX input adapter so I can add my XM Delphi radio. Any help would be gratly appreciated.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping that the AUX input is stereo. It might be just mono for a cell phone. Sure would beat using an FM modulator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:cool: Ok the car is back together and im half deaf. This thing just jams! For those that want to know, there are no sub outputs, no RCA jacks, and the head unit puts out like 2 volts. My amps are boosting the signal all they can. If i change the head unit to a 5 volt signal i will have even more power. But for now this is all i need. It is plenty loud and people will hear it 2 blocks away with just the one 12" sub! But the radio guys say with a new head unit it will kick it more. The entire trunk was dyna mated along with the doors and rear speaker area. The gas tank was dyna matted as well. I also had the windows tinted. Ill get pics of that when i can.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Newer car amps must have much lower voltage gain that the equipment I'm used to dealing with. Most home power amps will reach clipping at a couple of volts in. Perhaps they run the gain lower to reduce the effects of line noise picked up at preamp level. I see no need for a new head unit. A flat preamp stage with 6 dB gain should drive the amps to whatever they need. Could be constructed very cheaply with a few chips and a shielded box. Most parametric EQs would give you the needed gain, as well as some fine-tuning of the response.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
snowwdog said:
:cool: Ok the car is back together and im half deaf. This thing just jams! For those that want to know, there are no sub outputs, no RCA jacks, and the head unit puts out like 2 volts. My amps are boosting the signal all they can. If i change the head unit to a 5 volt signal i will have even more power. But for now this is all i need. It is plenty loud and people will hear it 2 blocks away with just the one 12" sub! But the radio guys say with a new head unit it will kick it more. The entire trunk was dyna mated along with the doors and rear speaker area. The gas tank was dyna matted as well. I also had the windows tinted. Ill get pics of that when i can.

Are you using multiple amps or bridging the rear channel for your sub? I am trying to figure out how I'm going to upgrade my system. The stock system is definitely loud enough, I am just not very impressed with the quality. :( Nothing that a good amp and a decent set of components can't fix though...oh and, of course, a little bump in the trunk (if you can call it a trunk!).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I emailed the pictures to sigo. Im not shure when he will get them. If anyone wants the pics let me know and ill email them to you zipped. About 1.6 megs.

·
J.A.F. User
61 Posts
Radio question

OK, on a slightly different note, has anyone else experienced the inability to play CD-R discs or am I just plain lucky like I was with the defective battery on delivery, and a malfunctioning gauge cluster that thinks I have no gas? (My car is currently back at the dealer having a new cluster installed. It took 3 weeks for the cluster to be shipped from "Down Under" apparently via dugout canoe or weather balloon. If everyone else replies with a "No problem", I guess I'll have to visit my friendly neighborhood dealer and get the head unit replaced. Oy... maybe that's why they call it a "cluster"? I love the car, and if I ever get all the wierd stuff ironed out, I may just throw a party! :drink:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts