LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 isnt a daily so essentially spends the majority of its time in the garage. Havent driven it for a few weeks so sat in yesterday, for whatever reason, and pressed the radio ON button and it turned on with no key at all. Hmmm. Press OFF, turns off, press ON and turns on. Hmmm hmmm. With radio on open the door and radio stays on. Close door and radio stays on. Press OFF and radio is off. Hmmm hmmm hmmm. Tonight tested again and same results. Car is not locked or armed through testing sequence.

Tested on my 08 Avalanche and press radio ON and no go. Turn truck on/off, radio on, open door, radio off. SOP for radio shut off previously on GTO as well.

BCM for GTO is set to turn off in three minutes. Sat in car over three minutes, radio still on. Last items I did to the car were 1) Catera door handle install, 2) rear smoker package install. Very basic just slides in back of console into stock connector, 3) replaced battery from spring '16 yet had it removed for a few weeks. No battery in the car at all for awhile until I replaced it.

Thoughts on the radio behavior? Quadruple hmmm's...

*BCM wires have been covered in heater hose with zip ties for years.

·
Administrator
8,383 Posts
That’s normal.

·
It's only cosmetic...
485 Posts
The radio will stay on for an hour each time you turn it on with the engine off. It works with the doors open too.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the previous behavior. Now the radio is being powered regardless of time, key in, key out, door opening, lock, alarm, and every other test scenario I have come up with. Wipers, windows, accessory power outlets all behave properly. One interesting item is when pressing the radio ON button the cluster seems to "click". I am leaning towards leaving the car battery out for an extended amount of time. Will get the TECHII out and go further. The car did just go over 26K miles so must be worn out 🤪

*yes, searched and found several threads on the issue: bad ignition, bad radio, etc.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Troubleshooting Notes:

car locked and sat for 12 hours
unlock car open door. test radio and on

press radio ON button and hear click in dash area with a whirl sound after click. wipers run.
open door wipers still run.
turn radio OFF, hear dash click, wipers do not run

pull 15A radio fuse and radio off. reconnect and radio lifts empty CD changer and time to 12:00. radio stations still programmed.

DOOR SWITCH
use flat blade screw drive to manually latch the door and press the door open button on body, result courtesy lights go off, radio stays on
=door switch eliminated

REAR SMOKERS PACKAGE PORT/CONSOLE ACC PORT
remove rear smokers package, close door courtesy lights turn off, test wipers and none. press radio ON and on, open door and wipers radio on, close door, lock car and both still on.

door closed, turn radio on, test RSP connector and gets 10V. turn radio off and down to 2V.
connect AC into RSP, connect iphone no charge.
press radio ON and no charge
press cigarette lighter in RSP and charge
press radio OFF
test console AC port, connect adapter, press radion ON and works
open door and on, close door and on (courtesy lights turn off)
press radio OFF and console port off
key to accessory, RSP off
key to run on, RSP on
back to accessory RSP off
=rear smokers package eliminated

door closed
pull 15A radio fuse time still displays, press radio ON button and time fades.
key to ACC and console port works and wipers
key to run and both work
key to off both work
key out and wipers off and console port off
same test, turn key to ACC wipers and console port on
turn key to off both still active
open door both on
remove key both off
=ignition swith eliminated

close door insert 15A radio fuse
CD changer lifts, time to 12:00
press radio ON wipers work, AC port works
open door, original issue persists
remove 7.5A, press radio ON and works
open door, original issue persists
= #16 7.5A radio cell phone port eliminated

iphone BT on, press radio ON, press BT car button and no connection
remove key power off radio, screen stays green
open door, stays green
close door, stays green
lock car stays green
turn radio on/off stays green
add 7.5A fuse back, stays green
radio on/off, green backlight off
radio on, press BT car button and none
key to acc, BT car button none
radio on and none
once able to pair vehicle BT to iphone made a call and works.
turn key to off, works.
remove key and still on
open door and still on
press radio OFF and wont turn off
press BT car button and disconnects call and turns radio off
everything off press BT button and nothing
turn radio on and vehicle BT connects
press radio off and BT plus radio do turn off.
=BT eliminated

TECH II
diag > body > manual > radio > DTC > none
BCM > DTC > None
checked battery save > change from 10 mins to 3 mins
radio functions > commands respond
sit in car everything off, wait 3 mins, hear click, press radio ON button and turns on.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIRC, previously the time on the radio would turn off when the sleep mode enables and or when the car is locked/armed. Currently the time is always displayed on the radio.

Can anyone check their radio's to see if the time is off or on after locking/arming the car?

·
It's only cosmetic...
485 Posts
So, I did some experimenting. Followed the long list of diag you performed...

That is normal operation. The manual is not accurate. The radio will turn off after an hour. Door open, door closed - doesn't matter.

Use the on and off buttons on the radio or hit the mode button on the steering wheel when the radio is off to turn it on.

Edit: oof to off

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for info. Does the radio display the time after the car is shut off?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Car has been sitting in the garage since Friday night with the doors unlocked, just went out now to check and yes, the clock on the radio is displaying the time

·
Registered
501 Posts
ok my smart phone told me to' get off my you know what' so I went out to the Goat and locked it with the remote and yes the radio still displays the time
IIRC, previously the time on the radio would turn off when the sleep mode enables and or when the car is locked/armed. Currently the time is always displayed on the radio.

Can anyone check their radio's to see if the time is off or on after locking/arming the car?

·
It's only cosmetic...
485 Posts
The radio display shows the time when the car is off and the dash displays the mileage.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for checking!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts