LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track for the first time tonight with the goat to get a lil practice before grudge fest this Sat. I didn't make any changes to the car and the weather was decent. Heres what I ran.

1st
R/T .880
60' 2.196
E.T. 14.340
MPH 97.920

2nd
R/T .741
60' 2.274
E.T. 14.344
MPH 98.230

3rd
R/T .921
60' 2.176
E.T. 14.238
MPH 98.329

4th
R/T .857
60' 2.149
E.T. 14.588
MPH 95.830

I know I need to work on my reaction times but were the other numbers bad? The car has an A4 and I was lauching it at 1200.

Tom

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Phantom GTO said:
I went to the track for the first time tonight with the goat to get a lil practice before grudge fest this Sat. I didn't make any changes to the car and the weather was decent. Heres what I ran.

1st
R/T .880
60' 2.196
E.T. 14.340
MPH 97.920

2nd
R/T .741
60' 2.274
E.T. 14.344
MPH 98.230

3rd
R/T .921
60' 2.176
E.T. 14.238
MPH 98.329

4th
R/T .857
60' 2.149
E.T. 14.588
MPH 95.830

I know I need to work on my reaction times but were the other numbers bad? The car has an A4 and I was lauching it at 1200.

Tom
I've never dragged so I probably shouldn't be commenting, but it seems like, aside from the high RTs, that your 60's are pretty high as well. I have no idea why that might be though. Can you comment at all one what other similar vehicles were pulling? Also, how many miles are on your baby?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Looks like most other first time A4 stock numbers. Congrats on getting out there. I still have my "first time to go" coming up.
:drink::drink:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
not bad.......just like most other A4's

·
Registered
492 Posts
The 60's are not bad for street tires. I wouldn't worry about the R/T unless you are bracket racing. SAC can get pretty sticky, so lowering your tire pressue and practicing your launches should help you some.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
phobos512 said:
I've never dragged so I probably shouldn't be commenting, but it seems like, aside from the high RTs, that your 60's are pretty high as well. I have no idea why that might be though. Can you comment at all one what other similar vehicles were pulling? Also, how many miles are on your baby?
phobos
Being distracted and not focused on the light really killed my RTs. This might sound funny also but I was more comfortable with my M6 Z28 although I never ran it on the strip. First round I lost to a LS1 TA that ran 13.904. The second round I won against an 80s El Camino with a handicap that ran 17.798. I drove by him at half track. Third round I lost to a late model Mustang with NOS that ran 13.738. The fourth round I had to lift because of tire spin and lost to a LS1 SS Camaro that ran 14.088. As of right now I have about 7700 on the clock.

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Thank GOD the other two F-bodys you ran against had similar times. I was starting to worry. Are you at a high elevation?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Phantom GTO said:
phobos
Being distracted and not focused on the light really killed my RTs. This might sound funny also but I was more comfortable with my M6 Z28 although I never ran it on the strip. First round I lost to a LS1 TA that ran 13.904. The second round I won against an 80s El Camino with a handicap that ran 17.798. I drove by him at half track. Third round I lost to a late model Mustang with NOS that ran 13.738. The fourth round I had to lift because of tire spin and lost to a LS1 SS Camaro that ran 14.088. As of right now I have about 7700 on the clock.
Based on the other times of the LS1's I'd say you did not do too bad.
Sounds like a hot humid and/or high elevation can be blamed alot for
those times. Work on your launch. Let the car get some grip and then
get on it. Practice launching at various rpms. Practice and some cool
dense air will get you into the 13's no doubt. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Good runs first time out. I really can't give you any advice about launching the car, but be sure to leave on the last yellow. That was able to get me 3 .5xx lights last night. That is about where my good runs ended. Reaction is one thing, being able to launch the car is another.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefully I can get a lil more out of the car on Sat for grudge fest. Only bad thing is its supposed to get pretty hot that day. Heres a link to the track http://www.sacramentoraceway.com/

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
ydtrack said:
The 60's are not bad for street tires. I wouldn't worry about the R/T unless you are bracket racing. SAC can get pretty sticky, so lowering your tire pressue and practicing your launches should help you some.
GOING TO THE TRACK THIS TUE. IT WILL BE MY FIRST TIME TOO. WHAT TIRE PRESSURES FRONT/REAR SHOULD I RUN? I HAVE STOCK TIRES. ANY OTHER ADVICE WOULD BE WELCOME.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
kfrey1 said:
GOING TO THE TRACK THIS TUE. IT WILL BE MY FIRST TIME TOO. WHAT TIRE PRESSURES FRONT/REAR SHOULD I RUN? I HAVE STOCK TIRES. ANY OTHER ADVICE WOULD BE WELCOME.
I'd run 22psi in the rear 38 in front (little higher psi gives less rolling resistance but I don't think 32-38 will make a diff in front)

take out spare tire and fuel tank guard, the fuel tank guard can be removed in about 5mins. The trim pieace that covers the area of the fuel tank is attached to the tank guard. Its fastest if you have a clip removal tool but something like a fork may work. Once removed their are bolts on either side (need 15 or 17mm socket) and two 13mm at top.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
PontiacGTO said:
Shouldn't A4's with a good launch run 13.8?
with good driver

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
GMH GTO said:
I'd run 22psi in the rear 38 in front (little higher psi gives less rolling resistance but I don't think 32-38 will make a diff in front)

take out spare tire and fuel tank guard, the fuel tank guard can be removed in about 5mins. The trim pieace that covers the area of the fuel tank is attached to the tank guard. Its fastest if you have a clip removal tool but something like a fork may work. Once removed their are bolts on either side (need 15 or 17mm socket) and two 13mm at top.

THE SPARE TIRE FOR WEIGHT BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TANK GUARD. ISN'T IT THERE FOR SAFETY? DOES IT WEIGH THAT MUCH? THANKS. :)

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
kfrey1 said:
THE SPARE TIRE FOR WEIGHT BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TANK GUARD. ISN'T IT THERE FOR SAFETY? DOES IT WEIGH THAT MUCH? THANKS. :)
I imagine you'll easily save 20-30 pounds. I tried it, but as a tried to hand-wrench one of the bolts I got exhausted after 10 minutes and still didn't have it out (it's rather long). Some power/air tools would be necessary.

And 13.8's with a stock A4 would probably be likely only with stickier tires. Maybe at low altitude in cool weather.

Padre

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
kfrey1 said:
No need for caps bud. Yes its there for safety. If you were wacked hard enough to require use of it that would be an extremely hard hit. If that were the case don't expect any compensation from GM, specially if your racing to begin with.
Fuel tanks don't explode when they are hit, thats an assumtion hollywood came up with.

yes it weighs 20-30lbs.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Yes its there for safety.
I imagine it also helps frame rigidity and decreases body flex. Kind of like subframe connectors or strut tower braces.

Padre

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Engineering is all about trade offs. Save wight/more flex to +25lbs/less flex. With running high 13s etc i'll take the weight savings. I don't have a slick head/set up yet:)

The V2 monaro doesn't have the fuel tank guard, another reason I used in removing it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts