LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first thought it might have been my intake loose and hitting something. :sneaky:

Nope. I'm convinced it has to be the suspension. I noticed that the car is a little firmer on bumps and potholes. I noticed leaking on my garage floor, but that kind of stopped. I see little drops now, rather than large 3"-5" leaks.

So what could it be? I didn't even get an oil change yet and already it's acting up. :bs:

/off :soapbox:

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
It appears you have an 06. If you have the stock struts up front if you do a search there are many threads about the struts leaking on the 06s so if thats your issue time to take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
If the build date of your car (check the build plate, NOT the GMVIS date on your dealer's computers) is anytime from mid-January until early May, this is a known problem with defective factory struts (Monroe Australia changed the provider of strut oil, leading to this failure of just about all struts on GTO's built in that timeframe).

If your dealer tells you it's OK to drive the car w/bad struts, argue that point. Make sure they give you a loaner. Good news is, parts are finally becoming available. Some folks have waited over a month for parts/have had their cars lemon-lawed...

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Be very careful with your car now. The oil from the struts causes your endlink bushes to swell and deteriorate. There have been a few that had control arm bushes deteriorate as well. The real risk, aside from reduced vehicle control, is contaminated brake pads. Brake pads were never meant to be lubricated.

Get your car back to the dealer and have a complete front end inspection. Ask that they provide a rental for you under warranty until your vehicle is repaired. This isn't about a noise, it is about your safety. Let us know how the service department responds.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uh. The Service Manager didn't know my car was released to me. Thought that was odd. Then he said to drive my car very limitedly until the struts are in. WTF?!

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Nope, don't. INSIST that they provide a rental. Otherwise, they will be replacing endlink bushings, strut mounts, brakes, undercoating - basically anything the strut oil comes in contact with.

If they don't agree... dig up Mike White (dms)'s phone number, and have the service manager give him a call to "explain" how bad the situation is...

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
the possibilities of getting the oil on the front brakes is significant. The bushings that are in the GTO cannot tolerate any kind of oil on them. I have sen many end links swell up like a mini bagel. If it was my vehicle, I would not drive it for my safety.

also be aware, the GM struts do not come with the necessary hardeware. You need 4 nuts and bolts connecting the strut to the knuckle, and the nut that holds the strut together at the top. As it turns out now, it appears it is harder to get the hardware than the OE struts themselves. So when you see your dealer make sure they order the hardware as well. If they are not experienced with GTOs they may not know about it

mike
dms

·
1 of 40,757
6,482 Posts
if the puddles were large before and are small now its very likely most of the fluid has leaked out and has already soaked into your suspension/bushings.

Make sure they check everything. They are most likely soaked and will rot out in no time.

Luckily mine was built in '05 and havent had to deal with this.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Unlike the OE and brand x replacement parts, Pedders struts are packaged with with all the hardware required to install them.

For alignments or OE struts installs, your local Pedders Dealer has the bolts and jam nut required in stock: Pedders Part Number 4306

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
06BLKSAP said:
I sent an email to Rossi and Dublin. My dealership has 1 hour left before they close.

All emails I recieved at my work have been answered. I do not know if I recieved yours or not

mike
dms
925*560*4401

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody for all your help.

My dealership called me last night and this morning. They told me they went to a local GM hub (?) to get the check link and strut. And can install them today.

Thanks for your time, Frank, I really appreciate it. I didn't want to shell out$400 for something that my dealership should have covered. But if they give some BS, I'll be driving down. Good to know if I need anything in the future, I know where to go and get the "above and beyond" service that people want.

Thanks everybody else for the information. Hope all goes well.

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
06BLKSAP said:
Thanks everybody for all your help.

My dealership called me last night and this morning. They told me they went to a local GM hub (?) to get the check link and strut. And can install them today.

Thanks for your time, Frank, I really appreciate it. I didn't want to shell out$400 for something that my dealership should have covered. But if they give some BS, I'll be driving down. Good to know if I need anything in the future, I know where to go and get the "above and beyond" service that people want.

Thanks everybody else for the information. Hope all goes well.
Just HAPPY To Help as ALL of our PEDDERS Dealers are....Frank:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts