LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· I hate you
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I know this is a dumb question...so don't hate on me LoL. I usually launch around 1500-1700rpms and depending on how I use the throttle..sometimes I spin..some times I don't (Nitto DRs). Practice will make perfect I know. On the 1-2 upshift it is brutal and I spin a good bit (track isn't prepped worth poop on Test N Tune).

My question is: I was just curious to see if I would damage anything leaving the line in 2nd and then after a bit put in in 3rd. Figure it would help with my spinnin off the line and I'd elimate the 1-2 kamakaze upshift.

I know it will be slow gettin up to speed at first...but I've left a light in 2nd before (cause at that time found out it actually stays in 2nd--thanks to info from this board) and after it climps in rpms it really gets moving..just without the bad 1-2 upshift.

I know I know...probably something really stupid to ask and DO at the track...but was only curious.

· Traded Power for Luxury
735 Posts
Warner Robins GTO said:
...but I've left a light in 2nd before (cause at that time found out it actually stays in 2nd--thanks to info from this board) and after it climps in rpms it really gets moving..just without the bad 1-2 upshift.
Wow, I don't have an auto but I thought putting your car in '2' would stilll start you out in first and just not shift past second...

I'd say practice a few times off the track and see how it goes, if it seems faster, try it at the track and see your time

· I hate you
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll see what formato can do when I get retuned in oct/nov. Cyclone Chris tried to ease it with adding 50% torque management back into it...and it didn't help any.

Ninjured-
I'll keep practicing, and believe me I will. FYI...what is weird is if you put it in 2nd on an A4 (atleast a 2005) it doesn't go into first. Someone posted one time it was for bad traction situations like snow and such. I will actually stay in 2nd gear all the way thru. I've actually done it...it's weird and cool I guess. LMAO. I live in GA...so it hardly snows...and if it does...EVERYTHING is shut down cause people are like WTF is the white stuff. LMAO

· WELL WELL , WANNA PLAY HUH!
83 Posts
Ninjured said:
Wow, I don't have an auto but I thought putting your car in '2' would stilll start you out in first and just not shift past second...

LOL, yeah I found that out the hard funny way. I raced a ford lightning and during my burnout. I shifted to 2nd and forgot about it. When the tree fell. I was still in 2nd and it left the line like a turtle lol.

· IKSWHTASOL
4,631 Posts
Nope, that isn't a dumb question at all. That's called thinking out of the box and is what hot rodding was all about in the first place.

If you have the stock converter, I doubt that launching in 2nd will be a good choice for you. I tried it at SDR one night when the track was really slick. I don't remember the exact numbers; but I think I lost somewhere close to .2 seconds doing it that way. I haven't tried it after changing the stall converter to see if the increased rpm will keep it from bogging.

· I hate you
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks TA455. Went to silver dollar last night. It was DEAD. One other good thing is that is was very cool too.

In the dyno/tuning section I posted my knock prob...so right now I'm running the stock engine tune...but still running my modded tranny tune. I managed a [email protected] That was the fastest i ran when you were at the track with me and chris when I was spinnin like crazy. lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.