LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be receiving GTO GSR struts for my 2006 GTO with stock 17" tires. I am strongly advised to first have a rear cradle allignment and then four wheel alignment. How important is this "rear cradle allignment?"

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
well, since the cradle's alignment says where your rear wheels will be, id say very:)

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Rear cradel alignment is important to prevent tire rub. There was a guy renting the tool on ebay for like $50 for 2 weeks. Check that out if you want to do it yourself. Otherwise you'll have to go to a GM dealer who will probably have to order the tool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rear cradle allignment necessary?

I called another Pedder dealer and he told me that since I was only having the front struts replaced, that a rear cradle alignment would not be necessary. Only a 4 wheel alignment is necessary.
This is very disconcerting. If I have to have a rear cradle alignment, I will try and have the struts sent back since no one has this tool that I know of in this area.

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
The rear cradle alignment isn't required, but recommended. You can change your struts without doing the cradle alignment.

·
Sold August 10 2007
2,593 Posts
Rear cradle alignment is not part of installing new front struts. Nor should you need a 4 wheel alignment because you are putting in front struts, however it will be up on the rack anyway and only a slight increase in cost, so why not have them check and adjust if necessary.

If I were you I would also purchase the matching rear shocks and have them installed at the same time so you have matched dampers (shocks) at all 4 wheels. Rear shocks are very easy to install.

And installing rear shocks is not a reason to align cradle. You should only have to align it if you take it apart.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Doing the front struts does not require a rear cradle align, At DMS, we do the cradle align when we do a complete system from STREET 1 up. Pretty much any time we do the Xmember bushes, we do a rear cradle align.

We see about 505 OF THE GTOs we have checked are off slightly. We have seen some creeks, and tracking issues with the cradle being off to the left.

GM USA does not recognize the cradle alignmemnt, unless the work you are doing involves removal of the Xmember bolts.

mike
dms

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
From what we learned from Justice Pete Most GTO's rear is out of by 1/4 alignment.Not that you need to do it for struts but it might be a piece of mind issue.

On a side note, all suspension bolts are TTY so make sure you use new ones everytime you make a change. Even the strut bolts are TTY.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
F1fletch said:
Does anyone have this tool that they rent? I cannot find it on ebay as mentioned.
I seem to recall that the guy renting it from E-Bay no longer rents and at one point, was trying to sell it.

Just searched and here is the thread; kind of a heated exchange between some members though ........

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95371&highlight=cradle+alignment+tool+rent

FYI, I checked into the tool and it costs about $350 - here is a pic:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40259&d=1154699800

·
TYRFRYR
85 Posts
I think ths shop doing my repair work from my curb incident may have dropped the ball on the rear cradle alignment when the put it back on the car.

What type of checks can I do when picking up the car to verify that the cradle alignment is correct?

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
I think ths shop doing my repair work from my curb incident may have dropped the ball on the rear cradle alignment when the put it back on the car.

What type of checks can I do when picking up the car to verify that the cradle alignment is correct?
tO DO A CRADLE ALIGN REQUIRES NEW BOLTS FOR THE XMEMBER BUSHINGS.

MIKE
DMS

·
TYRFRYR
85 Posts
DMS: Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that you might be able to shed some light on the topic.

To Clarify: I hit a curb and wiped out the entire rear suspension with the exception of the Right Stabalizer Bar, Right Half Shaft and the DIFF.

The entire rear suspension has been reassembled and re-installed into the car. I'm almost positive that the shop does not have the alignment fixture.

I'm asking this because when they conducted a test drive, they damaged my brand new Nittos (275/35 on [email protected]). When I say brand new I mean that all four wheels and tires were replace as part of the repair scope. The driver side had a very slight quarter panel rub while the passenger side was gouged to a depth of 8-10 mm.

I can live with the scuffing on the driver side tire, but the passenger tire side has to be replaced and the shop is trying to put the blame on me for replacing the OEM 18's with and improper wheel and tire combination.

Can I use a micrometer to check the distances between the datum holes and the alignment holes as a means to determine if the crossmember is properly aligned to the subframe?

Can you recommend a lateral reference point to measure from to determine if the crossmemeber is centered with the subframe?

Thanks for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts