LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install rear xmember bushings, and after getting the left side off, prying, and getting the top bushing in, etc, I cannot get the main TTY bolt to line up.

Ive pried, pulled, cussed, sworn and beld until I ran out of daylight and sanity.

Anyone have any ideas? It looks to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch off. Only thing I can think of is a come along to yank it forward.

Any ideas? Im in a real hole with this one it seems...

So much for the EZ install

·
Missing my T-Tops
224 Posts
Damn Dude, I feel your pain. I installed my suspension stuff in the drive way as well, but luckily mine didn't shift.

Is the Rear cradle on Jack stands or did you support the car in front of the cradle near the frame rails? You’ll need to get the car's weight off the cradle for it to move. Did you do one side at a time and did you leave the diff mount connected? I'm surprised it moved that much and that you can't just kick it back in place.

Hope someone else has other ideas

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one side at a time. I jacked it up by the diff, Its now sitting on jackstands for the night, ad they are I guess on the cradle.

I havent even started on the driver side yet.

Best thing I can think of is to borrow a come along from work tomorrow. Other than that? Im lost.

·
Missing my T-Tops
224 Posts
yep, gotta get those stands and the jack off the cradle/diff. support the car else where and let the Cradle hang. Should be able to move it easily then. it is probably in a bind and will line back up once you get the weight off of it.

that is why it shifted on you as well.

good luck and keep us posted.
Rick

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
where are you at?

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shessh... Where else can i support it back there? Arent many other places I saw.

Charlote NC

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes just now, lol. Its just that the thing seems out of whack. Also looks like I need to take it back out and lube it anyway

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
what brand of bushing. if it is pedders, don't lube it. i would only lube it if it came with lube btw.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
noltec

·
Because race car
2,835 Posts
Definitely need to let the rear hang free (support the frame on stands).

i was in the same spot as you this past winter....took 5 hours to finally get them in and probably stripped all sorts of stuff along the way

I slapped myself later when I realized what I was doing :barf:

·
110% Stock... :D
2,085 Posts
I feel your pain. I just installed the Noltec bushings a few weeks ago. The passanger side took 6 hours while the driver side took 15 mins. Mine seemed to be out of wack 3-4/16". It may not seem like much but it's enough to screw you.

Like you I had to end up calling it quits for awhile befor I smashed the car to pieces. The next day I got back to work on it and since I was refreshed it only took me 15 mins. I ended up using a sledge hammer handle that I cut to fit so I can use under the car. I kept on trying spots to pry the x memeber untill I finally got it. I would suggest getting a bud to help if you can. Having to hold the handle and try to get the bolt in was NO easy task. Just keep with it and you'll get it sooner or later.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys.... I sure hope I can get it bac together tomorrow night or Im up the creek

·
Registered
673 Posts
I had a friend wedge a large bar under the rear tire and push towards the front of the car...it lined up then. Sure was a PITA, and I slightly stripped the bolt hole on the pass. side.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
I am going to attempt this today.

Will let you know any helpful info I come across.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got them in. You will need prybars.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
Just got mine installed. Wow, the main crossmember bolt is tough to break loose.

I removed the bottom sway bar end link bolts. That way the cradle dropped a little lower and I could get a large socket to press the old bushing out.

Next is the differential bushing. BRB.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
LFSADRG said:
Next is the differential bushing.
Had to trim the bottom part of the Pedder differential bushing. Other than that simple install.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts