LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First-time poster, sorry if formatting is wrong.

Does no one make factory replacements for the rear differential mounts anymore? All I can find is the poly INSERT for the rear mount, but no full mount replacement itself. There are used ones on ebay, but I find buying a used factory differential mount doesn't make sense, since it's likely on its last legs like mine is anyway. Is my only option now to buy these aftermarket mounts that are full poly, separate carriers or is there somewhere I can source an oem replacement? I've looked through this forum with several keywords and all over Google and can't find anything.

I talked to a representative from gtog8ta and they said the poly inserts for the oem mounts are designed to take up the slack of the blown out rubber, but it doesn't really make sense to me, because the area of the oem mount that's blown out still isn't making a connection to the sides, even though the poly insert is eliminating flex from the top and bottom.

Am I just overthinking this?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
First-time poster, sorry if formatting is wrong.

Does no one make factory replacements for the rear differential mounts anymore? All I can find is the poly INSERT for the rear mount, but no full mount replacement itself. There are used ones on ebay, but I find buying a used factory differential mount doesn't make sense, since it's likely on its last legs like mine is anyway. Is my only option now to buy these aftermarket mounts that are full poly, separate carriers or is there somewhere I can source an oem replacement? I've looked through this forum with several keywords and all over Google and can't find anything.

I talked to a representative from gtog8ta and they said the poly inserts for the oem mounts are designed to take up the slack of the blown out rubber, but it doesn't really make sense to me, because the area of the oem mount that's blown out still isn't making a connection to the sides, even though the poly insert is eliminating flex from the top and bottom.

Am I just overthinking this?

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,132 Posts
If you change your mind, I have my old mount for sale with the poly insert already installed. ;)

Reactions: Fellow_Moron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for those links. While it doesn't look like they have what I'm looking for, they do have some other stuff I need. I'll probably just get one of those poly diff carriers that I've seen on the forum. I'll have to deal with the increased nvh, but I suppose it's better than dealing with slop haha. Thanks again.

·
You wax...I'll race
119 Posts
I bet the nvh will not be that bad. I have polyurathane bushings all over and it is rough. But just for the rear dif, probably not too bad.

Did you scour the junkyards and look for used?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bet the nvh will not be that bad. I have polyurathane bushings all over and it is rough. But just for the rear dif, probably not too bad.

Did you scour the junkyards and look for used?
The nearest junkyard to me that might have some goats is about 6hrs away, so it's not really an option at the moment. There are a couple used ones on ebay, but to me it seems like for the long-term, just getting poly might be better, since I'd likely have to buy another used oem mount a lot sooner than the poly would wear out. I was just hoping there was a manufacturer that still made oem mounts since I'm pretty much just using the car as a dd/cruiser. While it is mildly built and tuned, I'm not planning on racing it or anything. But like you said, just poly on the diff shouldn't affect things too much.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,132 Posts
Mine is looking rough... I'm considering just doing the insert but I'll need to blast and paint the whole mount
Buy mine so you can repaint and install without having to pull yours! ;)

The nearest junkyard to me that might have some goats is about 6hrs away, so it's not really an option at the moment. There are a couple used ones on ebay, but to me it seems like for the long-term, just getting poly might be better, since I'd likely have to buy another used oem mount a lot sooner than the poly would wear out. I was just hoping there was a manufacturer that still made oem mounts since I'm pretty much just using the car as a dd/cruiser. While it is mildly built and tuned, I'm not planning on racing it or anything. But like you said, just poly on the diff shouldn't affect things too much.
I installed the poly insert back when my GTO was a DD and there was no negative NVH increase that I can recall. When I switched to the Harrop cover, that changed...

Reactions: babablackgoat

·
GR-RRR!
5,511 Posts
When I installed my Harrop I didn't notice any increase in NVH that weren't already there due to the poly cradle bushings. The Harrop sure made the rear of the car feel more securely connected to the car and all but completely eliminated any wheelhop I was having.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts