LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Goat is pretty flat in back. I wonder how it might look with a small lift so it doesn't sag so bad. Has anyone tried to "fix" this?
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Rake

ZillaGTO said:
Our Goat is pretty flat in back. I wonder how it might look with a small lift so it doesn't sag so bad. Has anyone tried to "fix" this?
You mean 'rake' it?
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
I rake in the fall, when needed. :D

Seriously, though, isn't the suspension "tuned"? Wouldn't raking the back end affect the ABS, alignment, maybe even the traction control (which just about everyone turns off anyway?)

I'm sure handling would be affected somehow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is my concern. But do you see what I mean about it sort of "squatting" too much in the back. it might look better with a small lift. Of course not worth it if it screws up the handling too much.
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Raking

ZillaGTO said:
That is my concern. But do you see what I mean about it sort of "squatting" too much in the back. it might look better with a small lift. Of course not worth it if it screws up the handling too much.
Florit's right. I see issues with the IRS, handling and roll worsening from heightening the CG (the tank is vertical), and certainly a geometry issue with the halfshafts that might or might not worsen wheel tramp, and driveline alignment issues perhaps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not worth it then. I think that 18's might do the trick then.
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
18's

ZillaGTO said:
Not worth it then. I think that 18's might do the trick then.
The perfect match for our 17 inchers already exists in OZ. Remember, this car was built around their 18's. Neither GM nor Pontaic played with the suspension when they specced the 17's for added rim protection for our potholes and our roads. The other smooth move would be to de-junk the trunk and be patient. The aftermarket will catch up... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Could be why Eibach springs lower the front 1" and the rear by .8"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
JCMGTO said:
Could be why Eibach springs lower the front 1" and the rear by .8"

EXACTELY! Just drop the front to achieve the look wanted. Don't jack the rear end up.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
LOL. I used to pump pressure in the air shocks on my elCamino for that desired effect. I loved the look, hated the handleing. You cant always have both.
 

·
GTOWILL
Joined
·
236 Posts
JCMGTO said:
Could be why Eibach springs lower the front 1" and the rear by .8"
Speaking of the Eibach springs, anyone tried them on the GTO? Previous experience with them? I'm considering getting the kit and would like to hear what everyone thinks.
 

·
late owner of a 2004
Joined
·
701 Posts
Changing the springs to a 600 lb spring would the the best Idea the 200 lb stock causes too much squatting on launch and too much roll when cornering. My suggestion is to put the bigger springs in. They will lower it about an 1" all around but I think the handling will be worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
How will that effect potential for wheel rub, tho?
I don't know the answer but I'll say this: I've seen many Monaros lowered- just a little bit, they look HEAPS better, but my point is I guess that so many people would'nt do it unless it was relativly drivable.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
Anyone remember Air Lifts. I used to love their decals. It was a rubber bladder that went inside the coil spring. When deflated, no residual effects. Have your cake and eat it too. My dad had a set for towing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
GTOWILL said:
Speaking of the Eibach springs, anyone tried them on the GTO? Previous experience with them? I'm considering getting the kit and would like to hear what everyone thinks.
I had the Eibachs put on my 02 Monte Carlo SS. TOTAL DIFFERENCE in handling! Made it feel like a real sports car. I had many passengers tell me they were amazed how well it handled for a car that size.

I cant see my getting them after mine was put on a flatbed. There was only a 1/4 inch or less for BOTH bumpers. If you do get these make sure you carry something to place under the wheels in case you have to be towed to make the transition to the flatbed.

Of course I have only had mine for a month and maybe a year down the road I will desire better handling. The Eibachs are the way to go though!!!

_DM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Bah, most flatbeds carry transition planks. If my TT can get up on one with the lowered Intrax springs and front lip extension, any car can get up. Put em on and let us know what you think!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
dmonty said:
I had the Eibachs put on my 02 Monte Carlo SS. TOTAL DIFFERENCE in handling! Made it feel like a real sports car. I had many passengers tell me they were amazed how well it handled for a car that size.

I cant see my getting them after mine was put on a flatbed. There was only a 1/4 inch or less for BOTH bumpers. If you do get these make sure you carry something to place under the wheels in case you have to be towed to make the transition to the flatbed.

Of course I have only had mine for a month and maybe a year down the road I will desire better handling. The Eibachs are the way to go though!!!

_DM

If a lower/meaner look is what you are after, and just happen to like better handling and minimal body roll as a side-effect, then take a serious look at the stage 1 kit from Jim over at Gravana. Take a look at these photos.

Keep in mind that this is a daily driver, I drive through downtown LA every day of the week, and it's also trackworthy... At least enough to give a Z06 a run for the money. And it's a bit lower than the Eibach kit.
 

·
I like boobs.
Joined
·
6,581 Posts
Too low for me. The Eibach Pro Kit should be perfect... Anyone have a picture of it on the GTO yet?

I've also read about a kit made by Eibach that another company is about to release that has a 1" drop in the front and 0.5" drop in the rear which would be exactly what the GTO needs to look and perform better without being overkill.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top