LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this from eBay. $15 bucks total including shipping. Will install tomorrow. Very heavy and high quality finish.

·
Registered
430 Posts
<----------- See mine

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Looks good.

I'm running the blue letter on chrome" 5.7 litre GTO " up front and the chrome "pontiac" on the back.

Just a nice touch i think

·
Registered
16 Posts
rattle

Have a chrome one too... says GTO in an etched type look. It is heavy and seems to be good quality. However, it makes a rattle when I close the trunk because the GTO only allows you to screw in the top. Anyone find a fix for this?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
indygtoqs said:
Have a chrome one too... says GTO in an etched type look. It is heavy and seems to be good quality. However, it makes a rattle when I close the trunk because the GTO only allows you to screw in the top. Anyone find a fix for this?
You can buy little rubber or silicon feet (think little half spheres) with adhesive. These are typically used to place on the bottom of things to prevent movement or protect from banging, think of the little pads on the back of some kitchen cabinet doors or other furnature. You should be able to pick these up at any hardware store. It will probably still rattle, but it will protect the paint.

OR... you could do what some ricer I saw yesterday did... he had a pair of leather work gloves shoved under his rear plate :rolleyes:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Huntress said:
...OR... you could do what some ricer I saw yesterday did... he had a pair of leather work gloves shoved under his rear plate :rolleyes:
Dang, I was going to do that until Huntress called it "ricer." ;)

My rear bracket rattles, too, and it's annoying as hell. The car already has some little "foam feet" on it, but maybe adding some "rubber baby buggy bumpers" to the bracket would help. I have been very, VERY tempted to simply drill for two more screws. Anyone think that would be a mistake?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
FLORIT said:
Someone has to keep you good ole boys thinkin straight :p

·
Registered
980 Posts
I put strips of door weatherstipping (household type) behind my plate to keep it from rattling.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
It's not the license plate!

My rear license plate and new bracket are fastened tightly to the trunk lid and cannot possibly be rattling. But still I get that annoying (and embarrassing) rattle that suggest poor build quality when I close the trunk lid.

Well, guess what's causing that rattle? The rear spoiler. The middle part of the spoiler, where the light is mounted, vibrates when you close the trunk lid and causes that rattle sound we thought was the license plate bracket. Only way to fix that is to put on a cast iron spoiler or take the stock spoiler off.

Somebody else go check this out and confirm what I've discovered. Just watch the middle of the spoiler and listen. Of course, if you have your hand on the spoiler when you close the trunk, you're not going to hear this. But I don't touch the spoiler when opening or closing the trunk. Maybe I should...

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
I got this frame/cover from weather tech, it is awsome, it was a bit pricey, but the show room is in downers where i work, so i went in when i was working and i got the good guy discount, but they have a bunch of color fames, all with clear covers, its actually one peice, but go to the web site www.mats.com and you'll see. well it has a rubber gasket on it that seals it to your plate so its water tight and comes with these snap on caps to cover the screws, looks AWSOME! and does not rattle at all!!!!

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
Huntress said:
You can buy little rubber or silicon feet (think little half spheres) with adhesive. These are typically used to place on the bottom of things to prevent movement or protect from banging, think of the little pads on the back of some kitchen cabinet doors or other furnature. You should be able to pick these up at any hardware store. It will probably still rattle, but it will protect the paint.

OR... you could do what some ricer I saw yesterday did... he had a pair of leather work gloves shoved under his rear plate :rolleyes:
they are called Bump ons, a 3M product available at most picture framing shops...

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
My spoiler has always rattled when I closed the trunk, not sure what part of it but it's obvious that's where it's coming from.

·
Registered
629 Posts
FLORIT said:

My rear bracket rattles, too, and it's annoying as hell. The car already has some little "foam feet" on it, but maybe adding some "rubber baby buggy bumpers" to the bracket would help. I have been very, VERY tempted to simply drill for two more screws. Anyone think that would be a mistake?
LOL haven't heard that buggy bumper term in many moons.......Florit, I wouldn't drill the lower holes, I think you would wish you hadn't later on. If it is a rear plate frame rattling I would dump it first.

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
04GoatInMass said:
cant see pic?
maybe cause the threads about 2 years old:comp:

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
04GoatInMass said:
ty,you know i didnt even think to look at that part.i just did a search and that came up
glad i can help:thumbs:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts