LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having problems with the rear quarter glass, or back side windows.

Last night two 2" scratches 'appeared' on my rear quarter windows. They are new.

Glass can only be deeply scratched by diamonds, right?

What are the rear quarter windows, if not glass?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Same thing on mine. As CMNT mentioned before, Pilkington glass is crap.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Ozzie Goat said:
Anyone else having problems with the rear quarter glass, or back side windows.

Last night two 2" scratches 'appeared' on my rear quarter windows. They are new.

Glass can only be deeply scratched by diamonds, right?

What are the rear quarter windows, if not glass?
Well not exactly.
I have about a 6" scratch on the inside of the windshield just below my line of sight under the rear view mirror.

Pontiac rep wanted me to let them polish out the scratch :eek2:
I have a buddy that does auto glass and he said it too deep to come out completely and would leave a convexing effect.
So this winter while Christine is sleeping he will do new glass for me 300:00 installed :)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I don't know where you heard that only diamond can "deeply" scratch glass, but that's a farce.

I scratched the windshield of my Explorer with a terry cloth fresh out of the bag from Autozone back when I lived in NM...All I can figure is there was something on that cloth because it was NASTY (easily felt rubbing across the scratches) and right across my field of view. I'm sure no one dropped any diamonds into that little baggie, however.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Diamonds will cut glass but that does not mean that they are all that will scratch glass. The reason every one knows this is that back in the days before CZ's, fake diamonds were often made of glass. If you tried to scratch glass with glass you got nothing but a small blemish on one of the pieces. If you used a diamond you got a deep scratch.

Many, if not most, steals will easily cut glass. Most non-organic dust. Glass is relativly soft.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Any $4.99 tool-steel glass cutter from Ace Hardware will scratch glass. On my GTO apparently, so will a marshmallow at 10 MPH

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
mistermike said:
Any $4.99 tool-steel glass cutter from Ace Hardware will scratch glass. On my GTO apparently, so will a marshmallow at 10 MPH
Apparently a paper towel like the ones that gas stations provide. I used it to 'rub' off some leftover glue after removing tape from an auto-x event. I now have the magnetic numbers that I can put on the side of the car. ...not that the paint is that hard either.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I have numerous small scratches on the back glass and a couple on the driver's rear side glass. I call it "normal wear and tear", but the glass on my 1995 Grand Am isn't scratched. When my weather stripping "blew out", it left some nasty scratches in the upper passenger side corner. CMNT is right. This glass sucks.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Drive for any length of time in blowing sand and the glass will be pitted.
:drink::drink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts