LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have done a DIY valve spring replacement, can you recommend a tool? I like the ones that do two springs at once but I'm sure some are good and some are janky. I would hate to have a tool that buggers up the bolt hole threads or breaks while a spring is compressed.

I've been looking at this one: LS Valve Spring Compressor Tool 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 Chevy LSX | eBay

There are other similar variants for less than half as much $$$$ but I question the quality of the parts on those.

·
Worthless reject member
38,043 Posts
I forget which tool i got back in '12, but it is pretty jank. I think it's the summit ripoff of the comp/proform tool. I don't remember.

Threads are galled and the top plate is janked up.

Sent the allthread stud peice thing through a die and use a little motor oil on the threads, and i still works, tho.

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't believe some of the ripoff versions are made out of thin plate aluminum! Either steel or it had better be really bulky aluminum.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Not sure of the quality compared to this but I got the cheap version of the bluegrass compressor offered on btr.
Threw my spring back on with my little impact in my cold storage unit. No issues and performed great. Little lube on the threads and it barely has any signs of use.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I used the Proform tool. Worked fine. I'm sure there's a better tool out there. I used a better tool for my SBC, don't remember the brand though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I did valve springs 106K miles ago, I bought the Speed Inc tool. Back then I think I paid around $100 for it, but to me it was the right tool for the job. Valve Spring Compressor Tool, for Cathedral Port Heads

The Bluegrass one you linked above looks pretty decent though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I also used the Bluegrass compressor and worked great. BTR told me this is what they use in the shop.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you need to press on seals (IE not the one piece seat-and-seal units), BTR also has a nice tool for pressing those on. More repeatable than tapping them on with a socket and hammer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts