LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "street wheels" will be here by the end of April. I want to put drag radials on my stock wheels so I can swap them out on "Test and Tune" nights. The drag radials will not see any street driving.

1) Would you put drag radials at all four corners? I can't see why.
2) Any drag radial you prefer? I need 245/45/17 size to fit the stock wheels.
3) Is there any "tuning" required to compensate for drag radials?
4) Am I an idiot or what for wanting to turn my brand new car into a dragster? :D

Thanks for all your help.

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
I found BFG drag radials to be good, at least on my 67 GTO. With stock tires on that beast I could only muster a best of 2.0 60' times. After installing the drag radials my 60' ft times dropped to 1.6 60' times.

1. drag radials on all four corners? I dont' think so.
2. I prefer the BFG's, but some prefer Nittos's.
3. tuning? I found that bringing the tire pressure down to 14lbs was best for me. Do a quick burnout to heat up the tires.
4. No.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FLORIT said:
My "street wheels" will be here by the end of April. I want to put drag radials on my stock wheels so I can swap them out on "Test and Tune" nights. The drag radials will not see any street driving.

1) Would you put drag radials at all four corners? I can't see why.
2) Any drag radial you prefer? I need 245/45/17 size to fit the stock wheels.
3) Is there any "tuning" required to compensate for drag radials?
4) Am I an idiot or what for wanting to turn my brand new car into a dragster? :D

Thanks for all your help.

1. Nope
2. Only DR available so far that I have found is the Nitto that is the stock size
3. See #1 :D
4. See #1 x 2 : :D

I put a set of Nittos on the GTO this week and took it out to test. From a dead stop on dry road you will get about 3 chirps and your off. There is no wheel hop. I did not try to stall the converter as the car is still a little to new for that. :D I have Nittos on my 00 WS6 with 4.10s and they hook pretty well on the street.

If you try to go to a bigger size like 275/40/17(which is what BMR is using) you will need to roll the quarter or they will rub. I just didnt want to do that to a brand new car. Maybe when these wear out. :D

Here is the link to where I got them. Nittos :thumbs:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No "quarter rolling" for me. I'll just go with a 245/45/17 and use the stock wheels. Getting ready to order MORE stuff. It's times like these that being a single dad raising a teenage son is fun. No wife to complain about the money I'm spending and my son is as into this as I am!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts