LS1GTO Forums banner
41 - 60 of 136 Posts

· Registered
2006 GTO Cyclone Gray Metallic, 6.0, Magnuson 112, ported 243's, JBA shorty header
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Could you or someone else use your software and connections to look up my IMMO? That's the only important piece of data the dealership didn't provide me for my 04. (I have the security card for the 06.)
So I seen on Acdelco TDS there was a spot to request get that stuff. If you want after I figure my crap out you can barrow this to try it.

· GR-RRR!
14,476 Posts
ok, i just had the wife send me a snap shot. :ROFLMAO:

the "trunk key" code for my 04 is a 4-digit code.

you sure yours isn't, @Rich-Tripower ?

EDIT: well, it seems like it's the same code as the ignition key code, with the exception that the ignition key code has a letter in front of it.

well, there goes that idea.
I have a key code and a trunk key code, they are the same code and are five digits each and start with a letter.

· crawlin...
936 Posts
I am not sure the '04 had a security code. It uses a different ECM. The BCM has a code for linking to the PIM, but only required when replacing the BCM. If all modules are original to the car, then the relink procedure after re-programming the ECM would just be PIM to ECM done using a tech2 or the tech2 software from ACDelco website with a J2534 device, if the SPS/TLC system does not do it directly after re-programing like it does for 05/06. But there seems to be a procedure in SPS/TLC for this:
Body Control Module BCM Programming/RPO Configuration
ECM/PIM/BCM Security Link
If the engine control module (ECM), powertrain interface module (PIM) and/or the body control module (BCM) are replaced, the new modules must be security linked to each other. If the procedure is not performed, the engine will not crank or run. If the BCM has been replaced then replace and program all of the key fob transmitters for each of the vehicle's keys. The replacement BCM comes with a new security code replacing the code on the vehicle's security card.
With the Tech 2, perform the following procedure:
  1. Replace the key fob transmitter for each of the vehicle's keys.
  2. Connect the Tech 2 to the data link connector (DLC) and select: Diagnostic / Pontiac GTO/ Body / Body Control Module / Special Functions / Program Key Fobs, and follow the screen instructions to program the key fob transmitters. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming for further information.
  3. When prompted, enter the security code located on the new BCM and follow the Tech 2 instructions. If a valid code is entered, the new BCM and key fobs will now be linked to each other. The key fobs will be write protected by the BCM and can never be link to another BCM.
  4. After successfully programming the new key fobs, backup to Special Functions and select Link BCM to PIM and enter the new security code. This will link the new BCM to the PIM and the security information in the PIM will change. Therefore, the PIM and the ECM will have to be linked. Perform a Vehicle Theft Deterrent relearn through SPS Programming. This will link the PIM to the ECM.
  5. If replacing the PIM only, the procedure is the same except the key fobs programming procedure is not needed.
  6. If replacing the ECM only, security link the ECM by performing the Vehicle Theft Deterrent relearn through SPS Programming.
Without the Tech 2, perform the following procedure:
  1. Replace the key fob transmitter for each of the vehicle's keys.
    Program the key fob transmitter. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming in Keyless Entry.
  2. Turn ignition ON with a valid key.
  3. Leave the ignition in the ON position for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the car horn will chirp once.
  4. Turn the ignition OFF within 5 minutes after the horn chirp and ON again within 5 seconds. If the timing expires for this step, the sequence will be cancelled.
  5. Leave the key in the ON position for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the car horn will chirp twice.
  6. Turn the ignition OFF within 5 minutes after the horn chirps and ON again within 5 seconds.
  7. Leave the key in the ON position for 10 minutes, after 10 minutes the car horn will chirp three times. During the three horn chirps the BCM and PIM are being linked.
  8. Turn the ignition OFF, and wait 5 seconds.
  9. Turn the ignition ON and leave the ignition in the ON position for 10 minutes.
  10. Turn the ignition OFF, and wait 5 seconds.
  11. Turn the ignition ON and leave the ignition in the ON position for 10 minutes.
  12. Turn the ignition OFF, and wait 5 seconds.
  13. Turn the ignition ON and leave the ignition in the ON position for 10 minutes.
  14. The ECM is now ready to relearn the password from the PIM on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  15. Turn the ignition ON. Linking is now completed.
  16. Turn the ignition to crank and run engine at idle speed, to confirm the linking procedure has been successful.

· crawlin...
936 Posts
No Crank After Reprogramming ECM - keywords P0633 P1629 BCM ECM ecm immobilizer link module PCM PIM stall start - (Sep 26, 2006)

Subject: No Crank after Reprogramming ECM

Models: 2005-2006 Pontiac GTO

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
No crank after reprogramming an Engine Control Module (ECM) / Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Recommendation/Instructions:
After reprogramming the ECM, it is necessary to link the ECM to the PIM using the following procedure:

First link the BCM to the PIM using the scan tool.
Then link the ECM to the PIM using pass through programming.

If this procedure was not followed then the ECM will have to be reprogrammed again before the ECM and PIM can be linked with the procedure above.

Note:: You must use pass-through programming when linking the ECM to the PIM.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

· Registered
2006 GTO Cyclone Gray Metallic, 6.0, Magnuson 112, ported 243's, JBA shorty header
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So the VX Nano won't even link anymore I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it half a dozen times, and I've done it per the original install instructions and per the how to "fix this issue" on the vxdia website. Nothing is working at all.

· crawlin...
936 Posts
Slightly vague summary, but use the software from the website, not the software on the disk if it came with that. Update software if needed, reboot computer, open VXManager, plug in VXnano, click renew license, close VXmanager. Open Chrome/Edge as admin and launch the TLC/SPS software, do the pass-thru programming. If it will program the modules it will link. Don't forget the countdown timer note in one of my previous posts. After re-programing the ECM you may need to just let it sit there until the box pops up to input the code when doing the re-link. I would also be double checking that you have the correct security code.

You are having the same issues I originally had and you get to the PIM link, so you are not doing anything wrong. You are lucky you weren't doing this when GM was switching from TIS to TLC. I wasted an entire weekend trying to get the software to work and was on the phone with ACDelco support to get it working correctly. Then wasted another day trying to find my security code because I did not read the service manual and didn't know a re-link was required. Patience.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Slightly vague summary, but use the software from the website, not the software on the disk if it came with that. Update software if needed, reboot computer, open VXManager, plug in VXnano, click renew license, close VXmanager. Open Chrome/Edge as admin and launch the TLC/SPS software, do the pass-thru programming. If it will program the modules it will link. Don't forget the countdown timer note in one of my previous posts. After re-programing the ECM you may need to just let it sit there until the box pops up to input the code when doing the re-link. I would also be double checking that you have the correct security code.

You are having the same issues I originally had and you get to the PIM link, so you are not doing anything wrong. You are lucky you weren't doing this when GM was switching from TIS to TLC. I wasted an entire weekend trying to get the software to work and was on the phone with ACDelco support to get it working correctly. Then wasted another day trying to find my security code because I did not read the service manual and didn't know a re-link was required. Patience.
Okay ill get the software from the website my kit came with a thumb drive with everything on it, so maybe that's my issue but I'll give your instructions a go thanks again for the help.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Update: So I got the powertrain/vehicle control module and the transmission control module to reprogram, but when I try to do the PIM to PCM linking it gives me a "PIM link to ECM failed" message it won't even give me to option to put in the "immo" code

· Worthless reject member
85,709 Posts
you could just try flashing a stock file from another GTO that's the same year model, with the same OS and calibration service numbers. then do a file compare, and copypasta your calibration.

but hptuners doesn't write the entire ECM, i don't think. with the tech ii or vxnano you're doing a complete over write. so, if the problem is a corruption is in a spot hptuner's can't touch... well...

85,709 Posts
but he's already completely reflashed his ECM, so i don't think that option would work now, anyway.

OP could also just try to disable VATS and see if it starts now...

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
but he's already completely reflashed his ECM, so i don't think that option would work now, anyway.

OP could also just try to disable VATS and see if it starts now...
Nope disabling VATS doesn't work tried it

85,709 Posts
!

according to this, despite being unable to relink with his PIM, his VATS delete resulted in a successful start, but he had an DIC error.

e40 VATS delete isn't as simple as other ECM's. seems you have to do some juggling. did you apply the VATS patch? seems you also have to disable the immobilizer DTC's.

85,709 Posts

hey, look, it's our bro.

he was also able to get it to start with disabling VATS. also had a similar issue, perhaps?

going to read through the 2 pages of this thread, brb.

EDIT: seems he fixed the problem with just using a different device to reflash and link.

41 - 60 of 136 Posts