LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored before putting the car away today and figured...WTF, let's remove the spoiler and see what the car looks like in person. I gotta say, "I wonder what took me soo long!" The car has a longer, more flowing profile when looking at it now. With the spoiler on (which I still like too), it gives it a big, tall looking rear end and makes the car look shorter.

Some observations, looking out the rear view mirror, I now realize that nearly half of the outward rear view was restricted by this thing. Also, the rocket scientists who installed the spoiler in Benicia took the usual care that can be associated with yard jockeys who don't give a f*ck! The paint on the driver's side was nicked around the holes and when the trunk lid is open, around the holes you can see all the scratches from the wrench used to tighten the 10mm bolts.

Here are some pics.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
I don't know what to think. I see what you are saying on the way it looks now. I personally like it with it. But I guess you just have to see it off in person. Great looking car! :D :drink:

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's such a shame you guys over there dont get a delete option on this car for the spoiler. Iv'e said it before, that it dosn't look good with it. Imagine a spoiler on a Ferrari 360 or 550 Marenello. Grose...There are so many options here in NZ and in Aussie, that the cars dont all look the same, or just clones with different colours. I hope you all get some options to play around with for the 05, so that your cars can have some different personalities, like diffferent owners. I love the GTO, but how hard can it be to order "spoiler or no spoiler"..

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
I am usually not a huge proponent of a spoiler on the car. But after seeing the car without the spoiler, I am definately leaving mine on.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it both ways. However, I like the long, sleek, flowing elegant look more than the big spoiler, boy racer look.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yeah, I think it looks better without. I can't tell from your photos, CMNTMXR57, are the holes covered? If so, what did you use? I'd rather not have to spend the money, not to mention the aggravation, to have them filled, painted, etc., as they properly should, if it's to be a permanent modification. Also, the next owner (fat chance, or is it "slim chance"?) may want the spoiler.

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
It should be a dealer installed option.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
capra2d said:
Yeah, I think it looks better without. I can't tell from your photos, CMNTMXR57, are the holes covered? If so, what did you use? I'd rather not have to spend the money, not to mention the aggravation, to have them filled, painted, etc., as they properly should, if it's to be a permanent modification. Also, the next owner (fat chance, or is it "slim chance"?) may want the spoiler.
I'd use duct tape and a can of blue Krylon, but that's just me. :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I like it both ways. However, I like the long, sleek, flowing elegant look more than the big spoiler, boy racer look.
Well you could just send the spoiler to me. I already have pictures of it and I could put the spoiler on my GA until my goat gets here. Talk about rice...a green car with a blue spoiler. :p

When mine gets here I do plan on leaving it alone. I probably won't do any performance mods either. Lord knows I don't need to be the fastest thing on the street, just faster than the average road hog. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've said this before, but if I get a GTO, I'm going to replace the wing with a ducktail spoiler.

These guys have basically what I'm looking for, although I'm not sure if the mounting will line up with the existing holes for the wing.

www.ssv.com.au

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No holes were filled. I simply unbolted the spoiler, unplugged the brake light line and took it off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Also, the rocket scientists who installed the spoiler in Benicia took the usual care that can be associated with yard jockeys who don't give a f*ck! The paint on the driver's side was nicked around the holes and when the trunk lid is open, around the holes you can see all the scratches from the wrench used to tighten the 10mm bolts.

Damn, I almost missed this thread. I'm sure you remember saying this.

"If it's built here, quality will suffer! It'll now be built by greedy, lazy American UAW members who feel that their $60,000 a year job with full benefits isn't enough to properly install the 5 lugnuts per wheel despite the fact that all they have to do is push a button on the nice 5 lug impact wrench utilized on the line. As such, your car will probably come with only 4.

Sorry if I offend any hard working UAW workers, but you are few and far between."

Al

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup. Perfect example, huh?

·
Registered
98 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Yup. Perfect example, huh?
Nope. The GTO isn't made by American UAW members, I guess what you meant was the GTO is "by built by greedy, lazy Australian AMWU members who feel that their $?????? a year job with full benefits isn't enough to properly install the 5 lugnuts per wheel despite the fact that all they have to do is push a button on the nice 5 lug impact wrench utilized on the line. As such, your car will probably come with only 4."

Sorry to get this thread off topic but you made it sound like the U.S. autoworker can't build a quality car, you're wrong...they do. Can you tell me how many thousands of UAW members you know, how many U.S. autoplants have you visted in the last year?

Didn't mean to offend you but that's the way I see it.

Al

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
uuummm how the He11 did the topic change. Oh well....im sure the UAW have done some good over the years (i just dont know what, i live in aust).

·
Registered
571 Posts
Labor unions had their place and time. Fortunately that time is long passed and they are no longer beneficial, they are a liability.

·
^^^^^^^^
434 Posts
DARK AGE 53 said:
Nope. The GTO isn't made by American UAW members, I guess what you meant was the GTO is "by built by greedy, lazy Australian AMWU members

Al
doesn't the car come without the spoiler ? its later installed in the U.S. ?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DARK AGE 53 said:
Nope. The GTO isn't made by American UAW members, I guess what you meant was the GTO is "by built by greedy, lazy Australian AMWU members who feel that their $?????? a year job with full benefits isn't enough to properly install the 5 lugnuts per wheel despite the fact that all they have to do is push a button on the nice 5 lug impact wrench utilized on the line. As such, your car will probably come with only 4."

Sorry to get this thread off topic but you made it sound like the U.S. autoworker can't build a quality car, you're wrong...they do. Can you tell me how many thousands of UAW members you know, how many U.S. autoplants have you visted in the last year?

Didn't mean to offend you but that's the way I see it.

Al
No, it DOESN'T have anything to do with the AUSTRALIAN autoworker who assembled my car. Do you know why?

BECAUSE MY SPOILER WAS INSTALLED HERE, IN THE UNITED STATES, ONCE IT WAS TAKEN OFF THE BOAT, BY A YARD WORKER, MOST LIKELY A MEMBER OF THE UAW OR SOME OTHER SORT OF UNION!

So yes, it is a perfect example!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts