LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i'm looking at removing my cats soon. I was wondering though what problems arrise with that? I have heard a few people saying that you loose horsepower. I have also heard people saying that it will mess with some sensor and cause problems there. Any of these true?

·
2004 IBM A4
1,287 Posts
Have you ditched your resonators (resonator in your case being it's an '05) yet? If not, start there if you're after sound, not much to be made power wise however. Stop by a local Midas or shop of that sort, cost me a total of $37 here in Kansas, well worth it!

·
9 Second Club
14,787 Posts
pbmaniac2000 said:
Ok so i'm looking at removing my cats soon. I was wondering though what problems arrise with that? I have heard a few people saying that you loose horsepower. I have also heard people saying that it will mess with some sensor and cause problems there. Any of these true?
I've pulled mine off. It changed the sound of the car and added a raspiness I don't particularly care for. It also made the car run richer. I need to get it back to a tuner to get that fixed. I suspect that properly tuned you could get an extra 7-10 rwhp. JMHO

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
With my setup I lost power swapping out the cats and needed retuning to see a slight gain but the additional fueling also lost me a couple MPG. I kind of like the sound, kind-of... but it also stinks (literally) so sooner or later I'm swapping them back in and just getting a catback for sound. The 5RWHP gain isn't worth the hassle IMHO.

·
Back at it again.....
948 Posts
I am currently catless now and the exhaust fumes are starting to bother me, alot! I'm going with a set of catted midpipes soon. To me, it'll make the car much more comfortable and fun to drive and I wont kill my passengers as well as the folks behind me in traffic with exhaust fumes.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
no cats smell bad but i am getting pacesetters so we will see :wall: :stickpoke

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
if theyre behind me then they probably cant drive and deserve to smell my unburnt gas:fawkdance

as far as the sensor goes, you have a second set of O2 sensors after the cats to make sure they are working. w/o cats your gonna throw a CEL. you can tune that out, or theres other ways to trick the O2 sensor so you dont get a code

·
it gets 12mpg and loving it!
564 Posts
just buy a set of magnaflow hi flow cats. My shop sold me 2 cats+installation, for $90. Plus, its better for the enviroment!

·
2004 IBM A4
1,287 Posts
You know, removing the cats really isn't going to gain you hardly anything as far as performance is concerned. Catalytic convertors these days flow very well from the factory. If you're after sound remove the resonator/resonators or get a new exhaust system. If it's in your budget get some headers, better if they are long tubes. High flow cats will get a tiny bit of a sound mod and flow just a tad better, but really not worth the money. Plus, why throw codes in your car or harm the environment. Really your cats aren't supposed to be touched for 8yrs/80,000 miles, whichever comes first according to GM because they are under warranty for that long. So, if they are damaged you can get brand new ones!

·
Back at it again.....
948 Posts
Cats are on now and its nice. I can sit at the light with my windows down and actually breathe! Now and I put hot chics in the car and not choke them with exhaust fumes. The exhaust has a more smooth sound to it instead of the raspy sound it had before and its much more quiet at cruising speeds. I love it! So what I lost a few HP, I think I can spare a little, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts