LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
06 Torrid Red M6
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the headliner recently redone after it started to fall down in the back after the tint guy was in there tinting it. I just pulled my steering wheel off to send the radio switches to Bohnman to complete my blue backlighting, and change the silver spoke covers, and I realized the shop got whatever tacky glue they used on the headliner all over the airbag cover. I've tried GooGone, and a couple other cleaners to no avail....airbag cover is still very tacky. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
06 Torrid Red M6
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh...so far nothing is working. May just go with replacing the damn airbag. Should go back to the shop and have them do it. If I replace it will it throw an airbag fault, since it's not the original? I'm guessing no, just asking.

·
Administrator
8,916 Posts
No.

Reactions: EntryOpr8tr

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i'm really surprised brake cleaner didn't work. that must be some industrial strength adhesive, lol.
Brake cleaner stained some door panels I was recovering with fabric trim. Goo Gone and mineral spirits worked decently. Surprisingly, plain GoJo hand cleaner worked moderately well, if you let it sit on the spot for a little while first.

One odd solution, that I doubted, was to use PBlaster - It worked very well to remove old, hardened glue. Might give that a try. It's going to stink for a while, though.

·
Registered
06 Torrid Red M6
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brake cleaner stained some door panels I was recovering with fabric trim. Goo Gone and mineral spirits worked decently. Surprisingly, plain GoJo hand cleaner worked moderately well, if you let it sit on the spot for a little while first.

One odd solution, that I doubted, was to use PBlaster - It worked very well to remove old, hardened glue. Might give that a try. It's going to stink for a while, though.
Thanks. I'll try the PBlaster. It is such a pain because it's the whole airbag cover that needs cleaning...I fear ruining it..

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
475 Posts
You ever go back to that upholstery place and tell them they messed up your airbag? I mean fixing your interior is a cosmetic job and getting glue all over your airbag is a definite fail.

·
Registered
06 Torrid Red M6
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You ever go back to that upholstery place and tell them they messed up your airbag? I mean fixing your interior is a cosmetic job and getting glue all over your airbag is a definite fail.
Honestly no, not yet because I didn't notice it when I brought it home. Strange as it may seem I didn't notice it until I went to remove the steering wheel the other day to get radio controls off. (I drive it only occasionally) Then I noticed the tackiness of it. I'm heading over there tomorrow with the airbag to see show them and see what they can do.

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts
Does it visibly have goo on it or is the cover just tacky?

Some GTO steering wheel covers degrade and the rubber/vinyl/whatever material just gets gummy and tacky. Not 100% sure why.

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts

·
Registered
06 Torrid Red M6
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does it visibly have goo on it or is the cover just tacky?

Some GTO steering wheel covers degrade and the rubber/vinyl/whatever material just gets gummy and tacky. Not 100% sure why.
True, but I can attest it was not tacky prior to taking it in for the headliner. I had cleaned the car interior (including wiping down the airbag)a few days before bringing it to the upholstery shop. And when it's parked at home it sits under a carport and has a car cover, so no sun is beating into the interior. Due to that it stays relatively cool inside the car. I took it by the shop today and they had a solution that removed the glue. You could see the glue coming off on the rag he used. Unfortunately he didn't tell me what the solution in the bottle was.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
475 Posts
True, but I can attest it was not tacky prior to taking it in for the headliner. I had cleaned the car interior (including wiping down the airbag)a few days before bringing it to the upholstery shop. And when it's parked at home it sits under a carport and has a car cover, so no sun is beating into the interior. Due to that it stays relatively cool inside the car. I took it by the shop today and they had a solution that removed the glue. You could see the glue coming off on the rag he used. Unfortunately he didn't tell me what the solution in the bottle was.
nice. Glad it worked out for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts