LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Belch
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, a big thank you to terryk, myred2004gto and jizz for answering my many questions about this project before diving in.

Here's how the car looks with the Holden repeaters installed:

Here's the twist. Bought a set of grafxwerks' GTO fender badge overlays in metallic silver. $11 including shipping covers both sides -- which is a heck of a lot less than the $40 to $80 for two sets of GTO badges found on the trunks of 2004s.

Didn't mind the triangular GTO badges too much -- just liked the Holden repeaters a little more. Since I'm not embarrassed to say I drive a Pontiac GTO, the decals, which are the same size as the letters on the triangular GTO badge, fit the area extremely well.

Again, thanks to all the members who answered my dumb questions. BTW, the lights only work when the turn signal bulbs are full on...

·
Registered
744 Posts
You know, that's clever!

I've always thought the fender badges were a poor attempt to add something "retro" to the car. By removing them it makes the car look more modern.

When looking at my repeaters it does feel like something needs to be added but the fender badges aren't it.

Terry

·
it gets 12mpg and loving it!
564 Posts
I love it. I just found my next project. Hey, where did you get the repeaters at and how hard was it to install???

thanks!

·
Belch
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Holden repeater kits are available through JHP for something like $70 shipped. E-mail them and see if they still have them in stock. They ran a special a little while ago.

Regarding the install, it's pretty easy. Do a search as there are some pretty good descriptions. In a nutshell, you pull the GTO badges off, run the wires over the top of the front wheel wells, then (a) splice one wire into your turn signal wire while (b) grounding another one.

Best to do the driver's side first. That way, you can find which wire to attach to without too much difficulty. You don't need to remove the air box. Just pull the radiator shroud off will give you enough room. Access is kind of a pain, though.

Passenger side is much easier. Just remove the battery and you've got tons of room. If you want to add the grafxwerks decals -- order the metallic silver as it's pretty close to the silver used on the badges elsewhere.

·
Collecting "My Lil Ponies"
2,965 Posts
i wounder if the gto sticker would fit on the light cover, that look different.

·
Collecting "My Lil Ponies"
2,965 Posts
hey it was a thought atleast lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Harpo said:
The Holden repeater kits are available through JHP for something like $70 shipped. E-mail them and see if they still have them in stock. They ran a special a little while ago.

Regarding the install, it's pretty easy. Do a search as there are some pretty good descriptions. In a nutshell, you pull the GTO badges off, run the wires over the top of the front wheel wells, then (a) splice one wire into your turn signal wire while (b) grounding another one.

Best to do the driver's side first. That way, you can find which wire to attach to without too much difficulty. You don't need to remove the air box. Just pull the radiator shroud off will give you enough room. Access is kind of a pain, though.

Passenger side is much easier. Just remove the battery and you've got tons of room. If you want to add the grafxwerks decals -- order the metallic silver as it's pretty close to the silver used on the badges elsewhere.

I found it easier to remove the airbox. All you have to do is loosen the air intake hose and pull it off. Then just grasp the airbox and pull it straight up off the rubber mounts. Use a little WD40 on the mounts and push it back on when your done. Also you dont have to remove the battery. Just unbolt the hold down and move it to the side. Plenty of room to work.

I wired my repeaters so they are always on with the parking lights on and they flash (wig-wag) opposite the front parking lights.

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
not to sound stupid, but did you pull the fender liners to do the install? i don't see how it can be done without pulling them, and maybe lifting the front end off the ground...

·
Registered
744 Posts
There isn't a need to pull the liners. I took some stiff wire and fed it forward over the top of the liner. The wire drops out in a gap just in front of the wheel. From there I reached into that gap and fed the wire up to the opening behind the battery and air box (right at the head lights). I then used that wire to pull the repeater wires through to the amber lights in the front. I did add loom to the wires and I don't hear any flapping or noise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
whatsaholden said:
not to sound stupid, but did you pull the fender liners to do the install? i don't see how it can be done without pulling them, and maybe lifting the front end off the ground...
Absolutely no need to pull the fender liners. Just get a piece of stiff wire and fish it from the rear fender holes forward to the front inside openings of the fenders. Then attach the wires and pull them through.

BTW The only stupid question is the one asked by my wife.

·
Capitol City GTO's
6,509 Posts
Looks nice Harpo, especially with the added "GTO" sticker's. Kind of like shining some light on the stickers when You turn on the signal's,,lol.

Pat,

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
lmao
thanks guys, i'll give that a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts