LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes left the guibos on the drive shaft ends they were not replaced. Just the carrier bearing was. I then laid the driveshaft on my floor and made sure the assembly laid level and even. I then took my 4 foot drywall square butted it up against the flange end of the driveshaft so it was square then scribed a line removing paint. When I put back together I reverse procedure with aligning the scribed lines.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
phone just refreshed just got home lol. The only other thing I can think of when removing the driveshaft i took a prybar. I did not hulkamaniac the thing, but used some force to get it off the flange of the pinion. Yes carrier was un bolted when doing this. Maybe I warped the guibo. Have not had a chance to mess with it. Also I did look after I noticed the slight vibration there didn't look to be weights or a weight missing. And like I said in a prior post its just really in the beginning of the PowerBand taking off. I think spring I'm gonna save and get a 1 piece driveshaft for serviceability. I work at a dealer and do.my own mechanical work... not a master tech by any stretch "bodyshop assistant manager"... I always ask questions and search forums before I go into something. And have read many posts of forum members chasing vibration on these vehicles.

·
Worthless reject member
40,751 Posts
Yeah, it takes a little bit of work to get it of if it hasn't been. Usually wiggling it gets it loose for me, but it's been a while since i've had a stock driveshaft R&R.

IIRC i lay on my back and support the driveshaft with my body and legs so it doesn't go flopping all over the place.

·
Worthless reject member
40,751 Posts
Interesting reading. Don't mean to scare you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hmm. The only thing is what makes me wonder that its not that because it only does it under load/acceleration and doesn't do it over 3500 rpm. I had the car between 60 and 80 and neutral and in gear. Car does not vibrate at all in or out of a gear. Even if your accelerating don't vibrate. Its kinda like a rotational type vibration and its not like rattle your teeth out either. Almost as if its a slipping sensation type of vibration. If that even makes sense. Its ever so slight upon take off. I may have to take it and have it looked at. It drives great otherwise... sigh smh. Maybe its just me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am impressed you were able to remove the driveshaft with the rear guibo still installed. No way that was happening on my car.

I second the idea from Nothubertjfarnsworth to purchase and replace both front and rear guibos. I bought OEM from Rock Auto but there are sponsors that sell them. It's 15 year old rubber, rock hard by now and really not that expensive.

Just pay very close attention to the specific orientation, arrow directions on the guibo, and which hole, of the two hole pairs, supports the driveshaft.

As a note but probably not related, just throwing this out there, I felt a similar sensation that was resolved by removing and re-torqueing the rear wheels.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks. I'll have to check the torque of the lugnuts never gave it a thought. Also. Agree with the guibo with replacement worth a shot.

·
Registered
921 Posts
FWIW, there’s a DSS 1 piece on eBay right now for an LS2 GTO. Listed for 6 but you can make an offer, ask me how I know.
I opted to go this route seeing that replacement parts put me close to 1 piece price and the performance difference I’ve read about has to be worth the difference.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just my $.02, having made the switch from the 2 piece stocker to a 1 piece aluminum, I haven't noticed any difference. None. The only bright side is not having to worry about the rubber donuts cracking and creating a vibration.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have made the decision to buy the dss 1 piece driveshaft for my car. But I've only got 2 months of driving left. So it will be a over the winter purchase, more like January or February purchase. But yea I am not spending over 200 for the guibos its a no brainer the more I've researched. Plus the serviceability and I'm also getting the 1000 horsepower one for the larger 1350 u joint. Even though I'll never modify the car I'd rather over build if you wanna call it that for a driveshaft install.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts