LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the two rear brake hard lines, and wanted to see if anyone know the "proper" way of removing the brake and fuel line retainers pictured below. The one that is covered by the metal plate halfway down the passenger side was held in place by the plate. The one under the passenger side footwell looks like it may be riveted in. And the one near the rear looks like a flap has to be lifted. I'll have to get under there and take better pics.

Any ideas from these photos?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update 1

Just providing updates in case anyone wants to under go this task in the future. The brake/fuel line holders are riveted in. There are four total that are riveted in, and four that are held in by clips or the tray cover.

Before i got started, I removed the passenger side header, mid pipe, and the whole catback system. Removed the driveshaft and the emergency brake had to be disconnected.

The first holder, which is a clip covered by soft tape sits behind a frame brace. That slides down and is easily removed.

The other two are riveted in and will need to be drilled out. I used a 1/8 bit to start, then finished with a 3/16.

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the tray covering the lines. Be careful as there are tabs on the tray that hook over the rubber line holders.

Then there is a rear holder that is held with a clip like the front one.

The next holder is riveted in, and will need to be drilled out

Next is the rear clip next to the brake and fuel lines. Its a tight squeeze. This one is a clip and ends where they passenger side brake line ends.

The final one is riveted (unfortunately) and is in a real tight spot. I was able to drill it out with an extending piece i had.

Attachments

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then the rear drivers side brake line goes along the back wall and is held in place by clips seen here

I ordered pre-bent stainless steel brake lines which I thought would get me halfway there.
When I compared and test fitted the first one for the passenger side, I noticed they sent me lines for the 2005-2006 GTO, not the 2004. Everything matched up pretty well, until you get to the ABS controller. Thats where the 04’s and the 05-06’s differ (in regards to brake lines).

Attachments

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted the company i purchased the lines from, included pictures showing the differences of the 04 to the 05/06’s, and asked if I could purchase lines specifically for the 2004 GTO. They ensured me that they all share the same brake line configuration. So, I began bending.

Now Im just waiting on the flaring tool to complete the job.

Attachments

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked them up from Inline Tubes ebay store. I think its called modern machine or something like that. They are great lines....just wished they had 2004 bends.

I'll also be posting the longer brake line install that goes on the drivers side rear, once the flaring tool has arrived. May have to lower the diff to install that one and not disturb the bends.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
990 Posts
Bravo. Subscribed for future reference.

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, my brake line flare tool came in the mail, and I was able to complete both lines. I practiced on some brake line tube, and it flared the tube very easily and repeatably.

The first is the new pre-bent tube, the second is the stock tube, and the third is my practice flare.

I cut the new one so that i can replace the fitting with the old one (different sizes)

Flaring the first one

Attachments

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was going to install the lines this weekend, but decided to knock it out tonight

I removed the spare tire cover, and disconnected both speed sensor upper connections

I removed the fuel tank fill up tube from its holder for a little extra room

I laid the lines out to gauge the space I had. The diff bracket was removed, the diff was lowered, and I began fishing the line through.

Attachments

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I fished the line between this area here. For more room, you can use a pry bar, and lowers the diff a bit if need be.

The upper portion was able to slide over the diff, and into the tucked in area near the fuel tank. This line took a lot of adjustment bends once the line was close to where it was supposed to be.

Attachments

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The other line on the passenger side was much easier. Slid right in.

I then screwed the main ends to the abs controller and made adjustments from there on back while installing the rubber and metal holders.

Attachments

·
Machine04
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the undercarriage holder. I used white lithium spray on all of the rubber areas to prevent future rust (fuel lines)

Now, I just have to rivet them in, and reinstall everything, including the new lines going to the rear calipers. Hopefully this can be useful in the future.

Attachments

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,330 Posts
if you're going to re-rivet. maybe clean the holes and put some primer in there. just as a precaution.

maybe consider threading for a screw but that might be worse.

Surprised those holders don't come out easier.

·
ಠ_ಠ
34,563 Posts
if you're going to re-rivet. maybe clean the holes and put some primer in there. just as a precaution.

maybe consider threading for a screw but that might be worse.

Surprised those holders don't come out easier.
The more i learn about these cars, the more i think holden/GM didn't think or care that people would actually hold on to them for this long.

Seems like some things weren't meant to be taken apart.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
10 Participants
keitho64
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing