LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Unreconstructed
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that Zaino ain't my bag, and want to go to a more traditional wax/wash (or more correctly pay somebody to do it for me). I'm guessing that I'm going to need to strip the Zaino off with the old Dawn wash before I change to the new stuff.

Am I correct, or can I just wash with a traditional Maguires or Tropicare wash and then use a traditional wax?

·
Sooper Genyus
463 Posts
It's a choice. You could top the Zaino with a carnauba, or you could remove the Zaino with alcohol or a light polish.

·
99% Stock
4,968 Posts
Just wait until the coat of Zaino wears off, only a 6 months or so :)

·
Reads Fine Print
147 Posts
It won't hurt to put the carnauba on top of the Zaino, but I'm not sure it would "stick". If you really want to go back to carnauba, the best method might be to probably use Dawn over the whole car. It's what I use to clean out my ZFX bottles for reuse...and seems to break down the "coating" properties of Zaino really well.

·
Sooper Genyus
463 Posts
DamienChaos said:
It won't hurt to put the carnauba on top of the Zaino, but I'm not sure it would "stick". If you really want to go back to carnauba, the best method might be to probably use Dawn over the whole car. It's what I use to clean out my ZFX bottles for reuse...and seems to break down the "coating" properties of Zaino really well.
Carnauba will stick to just about anything.

Dawn will not remove Zaino.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
ZaneO said:
Dawn will not remove Zaino.
+1 to this... I think rubbing alcohol (mixed 50-50 with water) is what Sal recommends, if you must...

Anyone hitting the car up with an orbital polisher or rotary buffer and some kind of polishing compound will probably have their Zaino removed for them :)

·
Unreconstructed
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there anything else I need to watch out for when putting alcohol on the car? Any parts that it might damage?

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
I would watch getting the alcohol on the rubber trim I used a little alcohol wipe to prep for the website sticker and got a little on the rubber. It seemed to discolor it quickly.

·
Belch
943 Posts
As a rule of thumb, keep the alcohol off anything black that's rubber or plastic. That includes the trim piece below the wiper blades. It instantly discolors whenever anything out of the ordinary touches it.

Once you strip the Zaino off, I'd clay bar the surface. Instead of carnuba, which I used for years, try Klasse All-In-One as a base coat then apply Klasse Sealant over the top.

This stuff wipes on, wipes off, doesn't require cutting or special application tools -- and looks great.

I'm curious to know what turned you off on Zaino as well.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Harpo said:
I'm curious to know what turned you off on Zaino as well.
I'll bet he's looking at a product that doesn't require much work. Well if that
is the case you could just Z6 or Z8 your car after every carwash. Zaino is da
chit, and taking shortcuts with your paint will cost you big time in the end.

·
Unreconstructed
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How can I keep the alcohol off the trim if I wipe on the 50/50 mix and then hose it off? It's going to wash off onto the plastic.

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
I don't understand people saying that Zaino is so much work.

The first application is a pain if you do the claybar and all, but after that, all you need to do is reapply Z5 or Z2 every 3 months or so. Takes all of about an hour. Not any longer than regular wax and Zaino will last longer between waxes.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
BobthePhotoGuy said:
I don't understand people saying that Zaino is so much work.

The first application is a pain if you do the claybar and all, but after that, all you need to do is reapply Z5 or Z2 every 3 months or so. Takes all of about an hour. Not any longer than regular wax and Zaino will last longer between waxes.
+1 to this, and, if you want your paint to look its best, no matter WHAT polish/finish/wax/sealant you use, you'll invest the time to properly prep the paint - whether that's claying, machine polish, rubbing compound, swirl mark remover, orbital or rotary, et. al. That's the real heavy lifting. Once the paint's prepped, then you're just a Z-7 wash, Z-6 or Z-8 Quick Detail, and a Z-2 Pro/Z-5 Pro application away from a great finish.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Zymol FTW. I've been using it for years on different cars. Every time you use it, the shine and color gets deeper. I love it. Of course I have never used Zaino, so I can't say anything against it.

Check this out: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103772

This is after only one coat. (I used polishing compound so I could start everything over.)

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
I used Zymol on my 71 LeMans. Looked good but was always a pain to get off the car. Took a lot of time and rubbing to get all.

Zaino is a bunch easier

1 - 20 of 26 Posts