LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just got my new 06 gto a week ago and first off i have to say...the thing is awsome ive never sat in more comfortable seats...but anyways i have to say the stock exhaust is a little quiet for my taste and i was wondering if removing the resonators with stock mufflers would make a big difference. I plan on doing headers and a full cat back a little while down the road but for now i was looking for a cheaper alternative to get more volume

should i get them removed or wait and get a cat back and headers first?

thx

·
All Show and a l'il go!
3,482 Posts
Got my mufflers deleted first sounded great
then resonators also sounded mean and nasty
then Flowmaster Super 40's that I can swap in and out with the delete's sound low and mean for when i want to be less noticeable!
Oh yeah best bang for the buck mod IMHO cost 80 bucks at midas for the muff delete.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Removing the resonators WILL wake it up some. Should also be a cheap fix - under $100 for sure.

The biggest issue you'll be faced with is how your exhaust will hang. There is a bracket that mounts below the transmission and conntects to the resonators. This holds the system together and supports the exhaust. If you remove the resonators, you could have them weld the brackets to the straight pipe. That's what I did.

However, I just had SW LTs with offroad pipes installed. Since my brackets had been welded to the old pipe, I now had no support at the front of the car. So, I ordered the factory brackets and installed it to support the new system.

Sure, I could have had a bracket fabbed and welded to the offroad pipes, but the brackets allow for adjustments and give it a more professional installation look. Plus, should I someday sell my car, the headers could be removed and the original exhaust replaced.

·
DANG!
790 Posts
YellowjacketGuy said:
The biggest issue you'll be faced with is how your exhaust will hang. There is a bracket that mounts below the transmission and conntects to the resonators. This holds the system together and supports the exhaust. If you remove the resonators, you could have them weld the brackets to the straight pipe. That's what I did.
05/06 doesn't have that. Only 04.

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
I had mine removed on my 05 before I got my deletes. In place they put stainless straight pipes. It had a bit more raspiness and volume.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
craigffb said:
05/06 doesn't have that. Only 04.
Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up!

·
Challenge this.
1,539 Posts
When I removed the resonator I slapped on a set of magnaflow mufflers. It definately woke her up a bit. However, the exhaust was very "raspy" which eventually wore on me. I eventually installed Kooks LT's (catted) with a 2.5 X-pipe and I can't be more satisfied.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just installed my magnaflow cat-back, notice that the resonator is not restricted its just to quite the sound a bit. The stock mufflers are the problem, they are way too restrictive, plus the pipes just got to many dents on them.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
Smoke said:
When I removed the resonator I slapped on a set of magnaflow mufflers. It definately woke her up a bit. However, the exhaust was very "raspy" which eventually wore on me. I eventually installed Kooks LT's (catted) with a 2.5 X-pipe and I can't be more satisfied.
hey smoke,you got any clips of what that sounds like?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts