LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I don't share kill stories but in this case I have to make an exception. A couple of days ago I was driving my Tahoe instead of the Goat because I had to make a jobsite visit that day. I was on a long straight stretch of road that has several stoplights. In my rearview I see a riced out focus catching up with me. Finally I am side by side with the focus and we stop at the next light, we are both first at the light. Of course this ass clown starts revving his engine; I guess just looking for attention because of how loud his grapefruit shooter muffler is. So I decide to play with this guy. Light goes green and I punch it and he does too, he got me off the line but then the Tahoe starts pulling and I smoke past him. We end up catching the next light still side by side at the front of the light. At this point I look at him and he is all pissed looking, still revving away at his engine. Light goes green and we both hit it, same thing, he pulls me off the lines but then I smoke past him. At the next light he was looking furious, he didn't even look at me and he turned off at that light. Funny thing, he didn't seem to do as much revving of that obnoxious exhaust as he drove away. I just don't get it, why do these ricers think that their car is so fast just because it makes a **** load of noise? Back in my Civic days I was a little more realistic and my car didn't sound like all these idiots that you see today. Although my Si ran a 14.9 quarter it did not make all that damn noise and it was faster than 90% of the 4banger jackasses out there with their grapefruit shooters. I am so glad I have only V8's now.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nice! I regularly keep up and pass riced out 4 bangers. Our Suv's will never be a match for a true performance car, but we can keep up with some. It's funny when they try and pass you, and you just step on it and they just sit back there...heheh...and get frustrated then have to get back behind you.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
alex -- how's the fuel economy on your durango? I've heard mixed thing about them...? I figured a first hand testimony would clear things up.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
This reminds me of the one time I took my 2500HD to the track to race as it was a freebie for me. It was the ex G/F’s brother’s Taurus SHO group that rented the track and he needed one more person. So I filled that role.

Anyway, I won a few, lost a few against the SHO’s then this totally “noodled” out mid to late 90’s Accord replete with Corbo seats, the seat belt cushions, big tach (even though it’s automatic, grapefruit launcher, full kung foo body kit, pretty spark plug wires and many weird colors under the hood. This kid evidently was talking smack with some of the SHO drivers but they pretty much ignored him.

So it was a free round, I go up to stage and there is Johnny Race Car driver doing an anemic burnout with his front wheels IN the water. I pull up, go around the water box, back up just into it, brake torque the truck and let the Big Block roast the massive 285 series BFG All Terrains (massive to him anyway). Did a nice 10 second smoke show to heat them and clean them and pulled into the beams.

Pre-stage, stage, (I like to Deep stage so I have that foot of rollout to run on the third yellow) and of course our amateur next lane shallow stages, so he’s already got a foot on me sitting at the lights. I brake torque the truck up to about 2,600rpm (Gotta give kudos to the brakes on this truck, it held it stone cold still in the beams under torque…something my Camaro has never been able to do), X-mas tree goes down, third yellow I’m gone, he leaves about the same time and surprisingly doesn’t red light.

We are even pretty much down the entire 1,320 with me creeping away. We cross the beams, I get the win light and a 15.84 pass he got like a 16.x something. He gets to the pits and he and his friend are absolutely furious! “I’ve beat everything I’ve run today except that GODD*MN pickup truck!!!!”

Now mind you I was driving a truck that weighed over 7,000lbs, 4x4, Allison transmission (which robs more power than a normal hydramatic) and running about 70psi in my BFG’s. Needless to say, the SHO group was literally in tears they were laughing so hard.

I just had a coy little smirk. :D

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I just had a coy little smirk. :D
Great story.

I took my GMC 1500 Z71 to the track last month. They wouldn't let me race because of the all-terrain tires. :( I had it all planned: "Padre runs 10's!" (in the 1/8th in his truck). :) Oh well, maybe one day.

Padre

·
Registered
536 Posts
Red Thunder, the gas mileage on my 2003 Durango and all first Gen D's is frankly horrible. Luckily I knew this going in. My average around town is 12 MPG and I rarely break 15 MPG. I don't even calculate it anymore when filling up.

For a relatively light SUV (Sport model is 4,300 lbs) and a small V8 (4.7L) it's really quite poor and surprising. The Hemi 5.7L on the newer Durango which is about 1,000 lbs heavier gets better MPG. (15 - 17 MPG)

It something about Dodge's Engine it simply isn't efficient. Ahh well, I love mine though, not to big, not too small, pretty quick for an SUV and 7yr/70K warranty is hard to beat.

Anyway my $.02.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts