LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Resident Head Installer
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know.....

I had a conversation with some people this weekend about this occurance and was so proud that it hadn't happened to me in the 10 months or so since I installed my shifter.

Weeelllll.........At lunch time today, I noticed my shifter was getting a little sloppy.

Now its so bad, i wonder if it'll make it home tonight.

Guess that's what I get for opening my big mouth.

:barf:

·
medium rare
348 Posts
look on the bright side... now you'll have something to do when you get home. :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mine have backed out twice, and I used Loc-tite on them originally. It's a PITA. I've been able to remove the center console and get to them from the top through a slit in the shift boot, but I really need to pull the whole thing down and go at them again. Maybe the clutch will be ready to come out by then :)

·
6.7 Liter Girl
313 Posts
I hate to hear that at least you have Thursday off (if you feel up to wanting to fix it then). Also, I am glad to know that you have two other cars to choose from now to drive to work this week (I may let you drive my GTO if you are nice). I don't mind helping put it back together if you want.

·
HARDCORE since 1982
3,345 Posts
check the stop bolts, If you are banging against them it will loosen the handle

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Ok... This is what I am going to suggest to everyone from now on! Have the damn bolts tack welded to the shifter! 2 tacks and problem solved!

·
Resident Head Installer
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TrakDay said:
Ok... This is what I am going to suggest to everyone from now on! Have the damn bolts tack welded to the shifter! 2 tacks and problem solved!

Right up until you want to take them off for some reason......lol

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
PBMFIsMe said:
Right up until you want to take them off for some reason......lol
What reason would that be? If you have a grinder handy you will be fine...LOL

·
The Psycho 10 sec. Goat
1,968 Posts
Eric, I think I have a permanent solution for this problem. I will need one of the shifter handle bolts, or both if they are different lengths (iirc, they are the same). Failing that, if you can tell me the length and, at the very least, size mm wrench to use on the nut and coarse vs. fine thread (iirc, they are coarse threads).

In any case, I'd also like to know how much room there is, if any, to put a longer bolt in.

·
Resident Head Installer
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll give you a shout when I get it apart and can actually see it.

·
The Psycho 10 sec. Goat
1,968 Posts
George, you are talking about the 4 bolts that mount the shifter to the tranny?

BTW, this thread really should be in the "drivetrain" section of the forum.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems. If I can do anything to help out let me know. If you can get it to St. Augustine tomorrow, late afternoon, I could put it on a lift and see what we can do. After that I'm out of town til next Tuesday. Call me if I can help at all. 449-1585

·
Teh Weaksauce..
1,429 Posts
I fwere talking handle...I'd tack the handle to the shifter base. I had the handle come loose several times even after swapping bolts and adding more loctite and nuts and all. Wasn't hitting the stop bolts either.

Anyhow...just my suggestion, was going to be the next course of action for mine. Other than that one problem....I loved the shifter and miss it dearly.

·
Maximum Torque Mission
81 Posts
lock washers?

I read on an GMM install thread to use lock washers. I've only had my GMM installed 4 months and used the lock washers. Not sure if they work in the long run, anyone?

·
Resident Head Installer
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FraggerCrue said:
BTW, this thread really should be in the "drivetrain" section of the forum.

If I had actually been looking for solutions to the problem, I would have put it there.

This post was mainly to let everyone know how ironic it was that the day after I mentioned I'd never had a problem, I started having the problem.

But thanks for the advice Mr. Post Policeman.

:stickpoke

1 - 20 of 21 Posts