LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home yesterday to a very nice suprise left by the mailman...my Ripshift has arrived from GM motorsports! This thing is built like a tank. Very high quality. I'm going to install it over the coming weekend when I have some time off. I'll keep you all updated with how the install goes, and I'll try to take some pics. Here's some pics of the shifter for now:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
hey drburns, a couple questions
how much $$$???
where did you get it?
i know that it is made by GM motorsports, but did you get it from them directly or another vendor.
thanks

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I haven't installed mine yet. It is not a direct acting method like Riphift is. Mine changes the fulcrum only. Still too hot in Arizona. I will wait until winter before i can muster enough balls to get under the car and rip it all apart.

Ironically, the more I drive, the more I am getting used to the stock shifter. It is also "loosening" up and the gates are getting more precise as far as my feel is concerned.

I am also interested in the Ripshifter results. I was going to buy theirs but their website was never developed and I could never get hold of them over the phone so I bought another system off eBay instead.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
desertgoat said:
I haven't installed mine yet. It is not a direct acting method like Riphift is. Mine changes the fulcrum only. Still too hot in Arizona. I will wait until winter before i can muster enough balls to get under the car and rip it all apart.

Ironically, the more I drive, the more I am getting used to the stock shifter. It is also "loosening" up and the gates are getting more precise as far as my feel is concerned.

I am also interested in the Ripshifter results. I was going to buy theirs but their website was never developed and I could never get hold of them over the phone so I bought another system off eBay instead.
yeah, i found their website to be rather unhelpful and hard to navigate. i lose interest quickly in a product if the website sux b/c i am not one to email or call unless i have absolutely have to.

·
grinning ever since...
452 Posts
drburns said:
I came home yesterday to a very nice suprise left by the mailman...my Ripshift has arrived from GM motorsports! This thing is built like a tank. Very high quality. I'm going to install it over the coming weekend when I have some time off. I'll keep you all updated with how the install goes, and I'll try to take some pics. Here's some pics of the shifter for now:
Hey, drburns.. great news! There a bunch of us anxious to learn from you how it goes!

Please take note that many posts on other sites suggest that it is a tad noisier than stock, and some folks have utilized approaches to cutting it down, such as wrapping some rubber tape (or cut bike tire tubing) to the linkages somehow... anyway.. good luck with the install, and plz, don't go sparingly on the pics.

Regards,
George

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's funny that you say that about the shifter Desertgoat. I've noticed that after 2000 miles, that my shifter feels "better". I think it's more the fact that I'm used to it now. As far as getting the shifter, I called GM motorsport and ordered it directly from Phonsy. I got the shifter for $425 plus $53 for shipping. He gave me a $75 discount on the shifter; it's originally $500. Very nice guy to do business with, and I received the shifter about 10 days after I ordered it. I'm hoping to install it this labor day weekend, Tuesday the latest. I'll try to take plenty of pics.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Really looking forward to seeing pics and how that mod goes.

While my tranny and gears seem smoother at 6k, I swear there is the gremlin in my shift gate that takes the form of a 3rd gear blocker. I am so used to pushing it out of second, allowing it to center without force and pushing it up into third. A nice easy glide up to third.

That is a serious no go with my Goat. You have to give it a nudge right to get it into third. I swear I have got it stuck between 1st and 3rd on the gate several times, and under load, you sure as hell error on the side of caution, which then not only means a missed/bad shift, but a lot of times HELLO 5th :bomb:

Hoping A shift kit with a new centering action will alleviate this. Otherwise I love the 6m.

·
Got V8
241 Posts
desertgoat said:
DG, if you need any help let me know I have keys to a bodyshop with lifts and all the tools you could think of. Be glad to open it up for ya if needed.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Thank you for the offer

ukcuf said:
DG, if you need any help let me know I have keys to a bodyshop with lifts and all the tools you could think of. Be glad to open it up for ya if needed.

I actually have quite a large garage and plenty of tools but as a fellow Arizonan, you know how it is out here in the desert. Our seasons are reversed. I do all my heavy mods during the winter time. Last winter, I installed 28 cabinets in my 1200 sq ft garage.

It's just that during summer, my tiny swamp cooler just can't keep up with the heat. While the rest of the country is knee deep in snow and shivering in subzero temps in the coming months, I will be be enjoying the goat to the fullest and will be installing major mods. Can't wait.

Unfortunately, then we have to deal with these slowassed snowbirds riding around in their motorhomes pacing traffic going 30 mph below the posted limit

:banghead:

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Ya I know what your saying, way to hot to play with cars in the summer. I do all my car work at the shop, lifts just make things so dam simple.

But the offer is there if you need it.

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
MY SHIFTER DIDN'T WANT TO GO INTO REVERSE, BUT AFTER A NIGHT AT THE TRACK IT JUST GLIDES IN THERE. AS A MATTER OF FACTLY ALL THE GEARS SEEM TO GO IN SMOOTHER AND MORE POSITIVE. ANYBODY ELSE HAVING PROBLEMS? I HAVE ABOUT 1100 MI ON IT NOW. :sneaky:

·
Registered
349 Posts
So, when the Ripshifter is installed, will it eliminate the CAGS (skip-shift), or is the mechanism for that actually down in the transmission?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Tigger said:
So, when the Ripshifter is installed, will it eliminate the CAGS (skip-shift), or is the mechanism for that actually down in the transmission?
no, a shifter will not eliminate CAGS. that must either be done with programming (Predator, etc). or plug n play module.

all the ripshifter will do is shorten the shift an improve shift quality.

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I finally got around to installing the shifter yesterday. Let me start by saying it was a serious PITA! If you are not mechanically savy, do not attempt this install. You definitely need to remove the whole console. You have to drop the rear transmission mount to even attempt to remove the bolts at the front of the shifter. Then of course there is always that one bolt that makes your life miserable; the front drivers side bolt on the shift boot is tucked under the tranny so it's tough to remove. The shifter fits onto the trans w/o any problems. However in order to replace the front bolts, I had to drill 2 holes in the tunnel over where the bolts line up and tighten them down with an allen wrench and vice grips. Total install time was just under 4 hours.

Now the goods news...this thing absolutely rocks!!! The shifts are so crisp and precise it feels like a different car. The throws are much shorter (50%) and the lateral movement is minimal. You shift through the gears in a space of about 2 inches. No more reaching over towards the passenger to hit 5th, or reverse for that matter. I don't notice any real difference in the noise or vibration levels, just a "click" when you engage the gears. The shifter does look a little shorter than stock, but nothing drastic. My wife even noticed how much smoother and faster you can rip through the gears. This upgrade is totally worth it!

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here are some of the install pics:
The pics should go in order 1-5.

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some more of the install:
You can see the two extra holes I had to drill to tighten the bolts. Another annoying thing about the GTO is that it's too low to drive up on ramps. I had to jack the car high enough to get the ramps under! It was totally worth it in the end however. Highly recommend this ugrade.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
I like it a lot but the price is steep for a standard f-body rip shift with a bent handle.In turn we will be paying hundreds for a bent handle

1 - 20 of 80 Posts