LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 1977 Caprice(350-4 bbl.) and substituted one quart of motor oil with Rislone Engine Treatment at every oil change. I replaced the valve cover gaskets at about 200,000 miles and the heads looked like new. I sadly drove it to the junkyard with over a quarter million miles because just about everything stopped working(speedometer, cruise control, power windows and door locks, radio, a/c, exhaust leak, etc.) but the engine didn't smoke and still had lots of power. I also had a 1992 Acura Integra and did the same with Rislone reaching 150,000 miles but then it got hit.
I am not a big fan of additives like Marvel Mystery Oil(which can be added to oil and gas???), Slick 50, DuraLube, and others, but I have always felt that Rislone contributed to the longevity of these two cars.
I am not presently using it in the GTO but eventually will. Have any others used Rislone? Thoughts?

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
Rislone Engine Treatment is basically kerosene mixed with oil and I wouldn't use it. If you faithfully change your oil w/ Mobil 1 5W30 every 3,000 miles/ 3 months you'll never have sludge build-up even at 250,000 miles.

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
+1, I would just keep the fluids changed at regular intervals.

·
Administrator
9,492 Posts
No additional treatments or additives are required or recommended for the oil. Especially so with synthetic, which by its nature keeps the engine internals clean and deposit-free.

·
Registered
429 Posts
tigeragogo said:
I had a 1977 Caprice(350-4 bbl.) and substituted one quart of motor oil with Rislone Engine Treatment at every oil change. I replaced the valve cover gaskets at about 200,000 miles and the heads looked like new. I sadly drove it to the junkyard with over a quarter million miles because just about everything stopped working(speedometer, cruise control, power windows and door locks, radio, a/c, exhaust leak, etc.) but the engine didn't smoke and still had lots of power. I also had a 1992 Acura Integra and did the same with Rislone reaching 150,000 miles but then it got hit.
I am not a big fan of additives like Marvel Mystery Oil(which can be added to oil and gas???), Slick 50, DuraLube, and others, but I have always felt that Rislone contributed to the longevity of these two cars.
I am not presently using it in the GTO but eventually will. Have any others used Rislone? Thoughts?
Rislone and Marvel Mystery oil are very similar, so if your not a big fan of MMO you may as well not be a fan of Rislone either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My neighbor used to work for Rislone in the 60's. I used it all the time in my 66 Mustang and later my 68 Torino. I really don't see a need for it now with the new sythetics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts