LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to test fit my RK hood tomorrow. To those who have done so already, any kinks/hang-ups/comments?

There is a "pin" that the hood latch pivits on. Looks like it has to be cut/trashed to remove it. Assuming this is correct, what did you replace it with?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
tdimasi said:
I am going to test fit my RK hood tomorrow. To those who have done so already, any kinks/hang-ups/comments?

There is a "pin" that the hood latch pivits on. Looks like it has to be cut/trashed to remove it. Assuming this is correct, what did you replace it with?
The pin does not have to be destroyed. It is crimped on one end. Simply squeeze it along the axis of the crimp (squeeze the long end) and it will open the crimp up, allowing you to remove the pin. Then when you put the latch onto the new hood, just squeeze the pin back together. That's how we did it for my Banshee hood install.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I have the RKSport hood and it is functional with the K&N aircharger (and some other intake which I can't remember)

·
2,137 Posts
Yes! not exactly a box, but a sheild

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip on the pin.

The hood is functional in that the scoops feed outside air inside the engine compartment just above the stock air intake. There are no aftermarket products that will create a seal. Without a seal, the benefits normally associated with a cold air set up (1% increase in HP per 10 degrees of temperature drop) are somewhere between minimal and nonexistent.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The RK hood is funtional and the K&N is the perfect fit as per RK. The hole into the hood is the same size to fit the K&N heat shield. I noticed that the Banshee hood is smaller. It may make a little diff. in performance, but that would be made up with the heat extractors.

·
2,137 Posts
tdimasi, I don't know what you base that comment on, but RKSport claims it a fit with the K&N, and I have both and it does fit.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I've seen, the filter on the K&N unit is the typical cone-shaped filter. While it is shrouded a bit, there isn't a seal. Is this incorrect? If it is, I'm a buyer.

When I picked up the hood at RK, I inquired if they were contemplating a cold air package for the GTO. I was told they were not.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That is correct. I asked the same question. The K&N shroud is the same size as the hole up into the hood there is more air going into the filter area. Both hoods are sweet, but I'm leaning more for the RK. I'm having AirRaid look into making a box that will seal up to the hood and not allow any air from the engine to enter.

·
2,137 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
That looks like your pic on their website. The other two pics show what appears to be a bubble for a hood mounted tach. Did they drop this?

·
2,137 Posts
The car on their website is black, mine is purple... and I see now they have pics of a gold colored car with a hood tach... that was not available when I bought mine 6 weeks ago.

For those watching... here's the hood tach:

I'm not liking the bumper.... something don't look right in the nostrils... not pontiac enough for my tastes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oops, guess yours is purple. I actually considered the purplr onr when I bought mine, then again I really considered the black/red and really really considered the yellow.

Damn them for having 8 on the lot!!

·
2,137 Posts
Looks like they actually finished up a car with their bodykit:

·
2,137 Posts
shutemup said:
Oops, guess yours is purple. I actually considered the purplr onr when I bought mine, then again I really considered the black/red and really really considered the yellow.

Damn them for having 8 on the lot!!
Purple does look black at times... what color did you get?

·
2,137 Posts
shutemup said:
Is it just me or does anyone else think that color and those wheels are butt ugly?
I thought so at first... but I don't know. It could grow on me. I am liking the profile though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts